Page 1 of 8

Astro To Launch Next Generation HDTV Services Friday

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:53 pm
by naim
December 09, 2009 20:15 PM

Astro To Launch Next Generation HDTV Services Friday

KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 9 (Bernama) -- Astro All Asia Networks plc will launch high-definition television (HDTV) in Malaysia on Friday, said Astro TV chief executive officer Datuk Rohana Rozhan.

HDTV is a digital television broadcasting system with higher resolution than traditional television systems.

"Astro TV is now available to some 2.875 million residential subscribers who will be able to subscribe to its next generation of services, commencing with HDTV and high level interactivity and connectivity," she said.

"The roll out of these services is estimated to cost some RM200 million, including marketing and operating costs of approximately RM150 million, over the next financial year, ahead of revenue and earnings from these services," she said in a statement here on Wednesday.

Rohana said Astro TV will continue to focus on evolving content and technologies ahead of consumer trends, to lead by innovation in response to demanding and sophisticated customers.

Astro All Asia Networks today announced a higher pre-tax profit of RM195.689 million for the third quarter ended Oct 31, 2009 compared with a pre-tax loss of RM212.373 million in the same quarter last year.

Its revenue grew to RM863.487 million from RM744.541 million due to a strong growth reported by Astro TV.

"Astro TV delivered a strong set of results this quarter on the back of a price increase, the introduction of new packages, net subscriber growth of 94,000 and disciplined cost management," Rohana said.

The direct-to-home TV joint venture business in India, Sun Direct TV, reported strong subscriber growth with some 500,000 new customers activated for the quarter ended Oct 31, bringing the total to 4.0 million customers, she said.

It also announced an interim tax-exempt dividend of 2.5 sen per share for the third quarter, bringing total dividend to-date to 7.5 sen.

-- BERNAMA

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/news_ ... ?id=461239

Re: Astro To Launch Next Generation HDTV Services Friday

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:40 am
by mnd_43
Is this meaning much lower montly rates =P~ ?

... oooh ... I m still dreaming :zzz: !!!

Re: Astro To Launch Next Generation HDTV Services Friday

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:12 am
by civic98
naim wrote:December 09, 2009 20:15 PM
"Astro TV is now available to some 2.875 million residential subscribers who will be able to subscribe to its next generation of services, commencing with HDTV and high level interactivity and connectivity," she said.
It means whoever wants HDTV will have to pay extra. That's what Astro is good for, promise everything when you subscribe, but demand for more when they introduce new things. I still remember mine was the first batch of Astro decoders where we had to pay RM999 for it plus installation AND subscription. And at that time they told us so many things the decoder is capable of, but never materialize.

BLOODSUCKERS!!

Re: Astro To Launch Next Generation HDTV Services Friday

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:59 pm
by tlchuan
i disconnect my astro many many moon ago

Re: Astro To Launch Next Generation HDTV Services Friday

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:41 pm
by Redstorm
My in-laws' Astro remote control is faulty and I was told that to get it replaced, it costs RM$100 plus! Why everything is $$$$$$ ? In the end, didn't change and their remote control looks like a casualty with masking tape all over it to hold it together. :lol: Over here, I got my Starhub cable TV's remote control changed twice and FOC!!! :mrgreen:

Re: Astro To Launch Next Generation HDTV Services Friday

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:36 pm
by Zeus73
Redstorm wrote:My in-laws' Astro remote control is faulty and I was told that to get it replaced, it costs RM$100 plus! Why everything is $$$$$$ ? In the end, didn't change and their remote control looks like a casualty with masking tape all over it to hold it together. :lol: Over here, I got my Starhub cable TV's remote control changed twice and FOC!!! :mrgreen:
I saw some shops selling those remote controller in Malaysia. Not sure on the price but shouldn't be that expensive.

Re: Astro To Launch Next Generation HDTV Services Friday

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:38 pm
by mnd_43
civic98 wrote: It means whoever wants HDTV will have to pay extra. That's what Astro is good for, promise everything when you subscribe, but demand for more when they introduce new things. I still remember mine was the first batch of Astro decoders where we had to pay RM999 for it plus installation AND subscription. And at that time they told us so many things the decoder is capable of, but never materialize.

BLOODSUCKERS!!
... cost RM1600 for the unit itself ... > 12 years ago
installation ? they cost RM100
But fortunately I got the unit free with my brand new Toyota 1.6 :thumbsup:
n maybe the first who do the installation by myself with so much try n error !
... n ask my local senior vendor to do the registration ... he cost me rm 50 :$gone:

my subscription package at that time is around RM50 ... n now RM100 +++ :$$:

:D

Re: Astro To Launch Next Generation HDTV Services Friday

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:46 pm
by mnd_43
Zeus73 wrote: I saw some shops selling those remote controller in Malaysia. Not sure on the price but shouldn't be that expensive.
hehehh ... my remote control have been replaced more than 10 times :mrgreen:
now the 999.99 copy is around RM35 ... n the cheapest is around RM 10 ( self warranty = 1 week :lol: )
Sure the original one cost > RM100 ... but dont know where to find it n cant tell the different !

Bro Redstorm ... :welcome: to Malaysia n get cheap AAAA controller here !

:D

Re: Astro To Launch Next Generation HDTV Services Friday

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:45 pm
by nyem
Just realised that Astro also offers Mobile TV. There's a FREE preview at RM1.50 per channel per week :nutz:

They used to offer a second decoder at 50% off monthly bill - I wonder if this is still valid, can't find any info from their website.

Re: Astro To Launch Next Generation HDTV Services Friday

Posted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:31 pm
by Redstorm
mnd_43 wrote:
hehehh ... my remote control have been replaced more than 10 times :mrgreen:
now the 999.99 copy is around RM35 ... n the cheapest is around RM 10 ( self warranty = 1 week :lol: )
Sure the original one cost > RM100 ... but dont know where to find it n cant tell the different !

Bro Redstorm ... :welcome: to Malaysia n get cheap AAAA controller here !

:D

Bro mnd_43, any particular brand that can be used on Astro? Probably can find it in a big city like JB but not too sure if I can get it in my wife's hometown of Sandakan. If I can get a compatible and cheap remote control, will try to look for one in JB and bring back the next time my wife goes home. Thanks.