Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:27 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:58 pm 
Site Owner
Site Owner

GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S
We are happy to announce some of the new developments between us and Garmin TWN (and US). Many thanks go out to our usersbase, supporters and users who continue to support us - some as long as since 2002!

Exclusive Support
We have recently executed an extended contract with Garmin US which extends our exclusive alliance with Garmin for this region (MY,SG, BRN) which will take us beyond 2013 and further. This puts to rest to one of the questions of whether MSM is here for to stay for the long haul with Garmin. The answer is a yes!

The Garmin Webmap support is one of the result of this extended alliance. This is a tool used for Garmin Taiwan users and we are the first entity to be extended this facility to aid in our map making improvements. Expect some changes on the website too.

The first batch of Webmap users now stand to win a brand new Nuvi 1350. Some have already breached 30+ contributions since the soft-launch and can almost smell a brand new Nuvi on the way ..

Cgspmapper & The Garmin Compiler
With the soon demise of cgpsmapper, we will be compiling test maps using the official Garmin compiler. As part of the extended contract, we have access to the latest compiler build which enables us to do test maps which contain our own JCV, our own 3D building, our own 3d transparent polygon buildings, our own Golf maps, our own shaded topo maps. With it comes better tools to check on the quality of our data too. The possibilities are exciting indeed!

Special deals direct from Garmin together with AECO
The 62S will be the start of best buys which will be sold at way below MRP. For example the 62S is expected to retail in MY for RM1900 but going to be sold at MSM Valued Contributors for RM1575 (after Malaysian taxes and SIRIM approval). More models will come. These value deals are open to contributors and webmap users.

There are other things we are working with Garmin on other fronts - but rest assured, the free map model remains. The maps will always be distributed for free. No questions asked.

So thanks one .. thanks all. A big shout out to the East Malaysia support group too! You make the best East Malaysia maps bar none!

We are here today. And we are here to stay with Garmin. At least until 2015!

Enjoy folks!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:05 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
Adil, our own JCV?

How to go about it? Do we start taking pictures? :-k Who is doing the drawing? :-k

Where is this webmap?

A piece of good news no doubt...so we will not have problems running our maps on Garmin devices.

I just hope we are not signing away our independence... :lol:

And by the way, I'm still waiting for Garmin to let us use our planned routes on the Nuvi, transferred from mapsource and not just restricted on the highend model like 765.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:20 pm 
Junior Mapper

GPS: nüvi® 1350 SG/MY
Firmware v2.60
ace wrote:
Adil, our own JCV?

How to go about it? Do we start taking pictures? :-k Who is doing the drawing? :-k

Where is this webmap?

A piece of good news no doubt...so we will not have problems running our maps on Garmin devices.

I just hope we are not signing away our independence... :lol:

And by the way, I'm still waiting for Garmin to let us use our planned routes on the Nuvi, transferred from mapsource and not just restricted on the highend model like 765.

Hi Bro Ace,

WebMap = http://garmaps.appspot.com/malsing_index

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:21 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Garmin Nuvi200
adilothman wrote:
We are happy to announce some of the new developments between us and Garmin TWN (and US). Many thanks go out to our usersbase, supporters and users who continue to support us - some as long as since 2002!

Exclusive Support
We have recently executed an extended contract with Garmin US which extends our exclusive alliance with Garmin for this region (MY,SG, BRN) which will take us beyond 2013 and further. This puts to rest to one of the questions of whether MSM is here for to stay for the long haul with Garmin. The answer is a yes!
No more mapking format? or new coloboration with other companies?

The Garmin Webmap support is one of the result of this extended alliance. This is a tool used for Garmin Taiwan users and we are the first entity to be extended this facility to aid in our map making improvements. Expect some changes on the website too.

The first batch of Webmap users now stand to win a brand new Nuvi 1350. Some have already breached 30+ contributions since the soft-launch and can almost smell a brand new Nuvi on the way ..

Cgspmapper & The Garmin Compiler
With the soon demise of cgpsmapper, we will be compiling test maps using the official Garmin compiler. As part of the extended contract, we have access to the latest compiler build which enables us to do test maps which contain our own JCV, our own 3D building, our own 3d transparent polygon buildings, our own Golf maps, our own shaded topo maps. With it comes better tools to check on the quality of our data too. The possibilities are exciting indeed!
Good news indeed
Special deals direct from Garmin together with AECO
The 62S will be the start of best buys which will be sold at way below MRP. For example the 62S is expected to retail in MY for RM1900 but going to be sold at MSM Valued Contributors for RM1575 (after Malaysian taxes and SIRIM approval). More models will come. These value deals are open to contributors and webmap users.

There are other things we are working with Garmin on other fronts - but rest assured, the free map model remains. The maps will always be distributed for free. No questions asked.

So thanks one .. thanks all. A big shout out to the East Malaysia support group too! You make the best East Malaysia maps bar none!

Enjoy folks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:31 pm 
Senior Mapper

GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)
adilothman wrote:

Enjoy folks!

On behalf of all the Sabah Trackers and proofreaders, Thank you for the shot of confidence.
The Sabah updates have been slower lately but each update is fairly large in size due to
the big gbd files I am getting. Sabah will always be here for MSM as long as we are needed.

Oi! Trackers from Borneo, dust off the old HCx, 60 & 76 CSxs and get cracking, we have a reputation to upkeep.
OK bha k'lau kau!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:38 pm 
Site Owner
Site Owner

GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S
badrol wrote:
No more mapking format? or new coloboration with other companies?

I think the question now is focus. We can produce for 50 different formats but ultimately do we have the time, resources or inclination to carry the weight of doing so much. Looking at the documentation and how things are being done differently on the garmin compiler, we expect to be wrestling with its unique data structure for quite some time with many many trips to Taipei. So actually no answer to that question .. sure we want to do others but at the same time we will have to prioritise with what we have in hand. Answer is : we will see how as time goes on ..

By exclusive, it means Garmin is not going to work with others in this region - except with map vendor like Tele Atlas (some of the OEM projects we participated with Garmin has seen the removal of TA map from the unit). And that will take us to 2015. And allow us to make proper planning and make the commitments that we need. Lots of stuffs happening behind the scenes actually.

As the biking fraternity would say .. On! On!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:09 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
Kiattz wrote:

Thanks for the link, Bro Kiattz. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:17 pm 
Senior Mapper

GPS: Garmin 10x, GPSmap78s (now become a lemon) & etrex Vista HCx
adilothman wrote:

Enjoy folks!

Thanks for the special tribute. That will perk up the spirit a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:21 pm 
Junior Mapper

GPS: 10x, Oregon 300, 255w(retire) 2575RLM
indeed a good new from MSM :rokz:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:32 pm 
Expert Tracker
Expert Tracker

GPS: Nuvi 205, 60CSx
Kiattz wrote:

Thanks for the link, Bro Kiattz. :D[/quote]

Look like the Malsingmaps is not match with the basemap. Tuas road is on the sea. :shock:

Attachments:
webmap.JPG
webmap.JPG [ 57.25 KiB | Viewed 32714 times ]