Local Website or Forum on currency notes

Take a break from GPS related topics. Share a joke or just chit chat.

Moderator: Moderators

tks
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: iPhone 5, Nuvi 1250

Local Website or Forum on currency notes

#1 Post by tks » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:27 am

Anyone knows of a local website or forum on currency notes?

I have a couple of framed uncut currency notes from USA, Canada, HK, UK and Singapore. Now moving house, no place to hang in new place. Thinking of selling them if the price is right.

Or if you know of any shop that buys such stuff, that will also do. Thanks.

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

Re: Local Website or Forum on currency notes

#2 Post by SilverBeauty » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:02 am

tks wrote:Anyone knows of a local website or forum on currency notes?

I have a couple of framed uncut currency notes from USA, Canada, HK, UK and Singapore. Now moving house, no place to hang in new place. Thinking of selling them if the price is right.

Try these shops

Han Dynasty Coin & Antiquities@ Golden Landmark

Taisei Stamps & Coins @ Bylands Building

Far East Stamp & Coin @ Peninsula Plaza

SOSweet
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: Nuvi 200W, Omnia II + GMXT

#3 Post by SOSweet » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:06 pm

tks wrote:Anyone knows of a local website or forum on currency notes?
Bro tks, it is hard, very hard to sell or dispose off those currency notes. I also had a lot of those uncut, 2 in 1, 4 in 1 or 6 in 1 $10/20/50 dollar notes issued by the Singapore Currency Board on top of gold coins of various denomination.
Most of the shops I approached offer to "display and sell it" for me and make a cut on the selling price. The question is : how am I going to know how much they sold since there is no "fixed price" on these items.
For the gold coins, the shops only offer "current gold price" not the collector's price. A case in point, a $150.00 gold coin issued in 1969 for 50th Anniversary of the founding of Singapore is worth only approx $1,000.00 from those shops.
I had given up the ideal of selling my collections and I also stopped buying any new coins and currency note.
HEALTHY LIVING :
Eat Less - Salt & Sugar
Do More - Exercises & Good Deeds

tks
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Post by tks » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:36 pm

Thank you SOSweet for the helpful (though disappointing) information. I guess I will try to sell them on ebay, or at worst, cut them into individual pieces and spend them!!!

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

#5 Post by bartmp8 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:16 am

tks wrote:Thank you SOSweet for the helpful (though disappointing) information. I guess I will try to sell them on ebay, or at worst, cut them into individual pieces and spend them!!!
Keep it for your grandkids. You have any idea how much Straits Settlement / North Borneo Banknotes are
worth these days? Search the internet and you'll find collectors from US and UK. Forget the local collectors.
They are probably more interested in the serial numbers rather than the actual note.

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#6 Post by SilverBeauty » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:22 am

Agreed with bro bartmp8. I am an avid collector of these and other stuff like stamps since my young days. They are now in storage somewhere in my store :-'

The slogan by premium watch brand Patek Philippe applies in my case for these stuff :mrgreen:

“You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely look after it for the next generation.”

SOSweet
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: Nuvi 200W, Omnia II + GMXT

#7 Post by SOSweet » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Bro SB, same thing go with the stamps. My late father got a whole collection of China stamps including those "Red Army" and Mao Zedong series. I approached the shop in People's Park (a taiwanese departmental store in groun floor), they give the same answer : "leave it here, we sell for u".
bartmp8 wrote:Keep it for your grandkids. You have any idea how much Straits Settlement / North Borneo Banknotes are
worth these days?
Bro bartmp8, ordinary SS and NB bank notes are hard to sell cos the buyer want the note in "mint" condition and bear the special or auspicious number. I tried to sell my SS and NB notes but failed to secure a willing buyer.
Many years ago, I had a very rare square shape $10,000.00 note dated 1980 and after advertised for many months, not even one responsed. The reason ? Banks interest was 6% at that time, and u "lost" $600 every year u kept it. If I had deposited the money in the bank, by now, with the accumulated interest plus the capital for close to 30 years, it should reach $100K already. :hair:
My advise : Do't ever waste u money on collecting stamps and banknote/coins. It is "precious" when u buy it but when u want to sell it, it become "dirt". :hair: :x :$gone: :$gone: :$gone:
HEALTHY LIVING :
Eat Less - Salt & Sugar
Do More - Exercises & Good Deeds

tks
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Post by tks » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:18 am

I used to collect stamps and bus tickets with serial numbers 0000, 8888 etc. Must be somewhere in my parents' house, if it is still there. Reason why I need to dispose of my currency notes is because I have just moved to a place that is half the size. No more wall space to hang up my money! I dunno. Maybe I have to take the currency out of the picture frames and put them into those scroll tubes? Or hang behind my bed, or under my bed?

bernGPS
Senior Mapper
GPS: Garmin 10x, GPSmap78s (now become a lemon) & etrex Vista HCx

#9 Post by bernGPS » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:24 am

Havent found any website. But the is a Malayan Borneo and Singapore Coin and Notes catalogue. Cost about Rm60 I understand

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#10 Post by SilverBeauty » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:47 am

tks wrote:I used to collect stamps and bus tickets with serial numbers 0000, 8888 etc. Must be somewhere in my parents' house, if it is still there. Reason why I need to dispose of my currency notes is because I have just moved to a place that is half the size. No more wall space to hang up my money! I dunno. Maybe I have to take the currency out of the picture frames and put them into those scroll tubes? Or hang behind my bed, or under my bed?

A word of caution. Our environment is humid thus "paper" will deteriorate with time and turn yellow. Put some silica gel to absorb moisture and maintain the gel periodically. I roll my collection in clear plastic tubes with gel at both ends.