SmartTag - Is It Worth It?

Take a break from GPS related topics. Share a joke or just chit chat.

Moderator: Moderators

Stephanie Lim
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 1350 GPS Navigator

SmartTag - Is It Worth It?

#1 Post by Stephanie Lim » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:25 am

I'm currently using a Touch N Go card and I'm wondering whether it is worth to purchase SmartTag.

Of course, the main reason is speed and avoiding long toll queues. But what I am seeing, especially during peak hours at the LDP Sungai Buloh toll is that even cash lane queues are shorter because of they made multiple booths available for a single lane.

The Touch N Go SmartTag video explains that with SmartTag, your car doesn't have to stop completely at toll booths and there is no need to wind down your windows, which will extend the useful life of these parts but again, is it worth it?

What do all of you think?

adrianyujs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
GPS: Nuvi 205W/1350/1460/3790
HP Ipaq HX2750 + Holux GPSlim 236
Nokia 5800 + Garmin XT S60 / Mapking R12

Re: SmartTag - Is It Worth It?

#2 Post by adrianyujs » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:20 pm

Stephanie Lim wrote:I'm currently using a Touch N Go card and I'm wondering whether it is worth to purchase SmartTag.

Of course, the main reason is speed and avoiding long toll queues. But what I am seeing, especially during peak hours at the LDP Sungai Buloh toll is that even cash lane queues are shorter because of they made multiple booths available for a single lane.

The Touch N Go SmartTag video explains that with SmartTag, your car doesn't have to stop completely at toll booths and there is no need to wind down your windows, which will extend the useful life of these parts but again, is it worth it?

What do all of you think?

Yes its worth sometimes, just a backup, but still u can choose touch n go lane if smart tag is long queue.

Nowadays I saw a lot "TUNAI" lane can support touch n go already, so other means, u can use any lane u like for touch n go.

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner
GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S

#3 Post by adilothman » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:15 pm

For PLUS highways, ALL cashlanes will have TNG machine regardless if there is signage or not. So you can always go to the shortest cashlane if the TNG lane is long during peak hours. Folks who know do it all the time. This is not the case for other concessionaires like LDP, AKLEH etc.

As for Smartag, personally, since I ply the highways so often, it is a necessity for me. Also if you hit the toll more than 80x per month, you get 20% rebate. Have your TNG card checked if there are rebates already sitting in the account.

Government policy has always been to encourage electronic payments (ETC), hence you notice there are less and less cash lanes with more and more TNG and SmartTag lanes being opened. There will be the odd tollplazas where physical space is a constraint so there cannot be as many ETC lanes as it should.

Smartag user since it came out, never regretted it since :wink:
Malsingmaps is now an official partner of Garmin to produce maps for MY, SG & Brunei.

Noah
Senior Mapper
GPS: 60csx, Nuvi 2465

#4 Post by Noah » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:38 pm

They should do a study on the incidence of Testicular Cancer and SmartTag use. Don't worry Adil, you're safe.

:mrgreen:
Mappers wanted. Read this to get started. Payment = Recognition = Priceless.
We don't just build maps. We build relationships.

Follow our map updates on Twitter

Stephanie Lim
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 1350 GPS Navigator

#5 Post by Stephanie Lim » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Noah wrote:They should do a study on the incidence of Testicular Cancer and SmartTag use. Don't worry Adil, you're safe.

haha how is testicular cancer related to smartag? lol

sonnyoh
Qualified Mapper
GPS: Nuvi 1350

#6 Post by sonnyoh » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:26 pm

Noah wrote:They should do a study on the incidence of Testicular Cancer and SmartTag use. Don't worry Adil, you're safe.

Halooo... Mana ada... #-o

Marijuana Linked With Testicular Cancer

http://www.drugabuse.gov/news-events/ni ... lar-cancer

<Qouote>
Men who use marijuana may increase their risk for developing testicular cancer.
A recent study of several hundred Washington State men with testicular cancer
showed an association between current marijuana use and the more aggressive of the two types of the disease.
Moreover, the association was strongest among men with a long history of regular marijuana use.<Unquote>

Adil is very safe indeed if he doesn't put Lappy on... :mrgreen:

nyem
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: nuvi

#7 Post by nyem » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:08 am

Stephanie Lim wrote:But what I am seeing, especially during peak hours at the LDP Sungai Buloh toll is that even cash lane queues are shorter because of they made multiple booths available for a single lane.
- Having the SmartTag does not mean that you have to use it all the time; just that now you have more options
- Don't let the short queue on cash lanes deceive you, the long queue are on the other side of the booth

SmartTag lanes also prone to getting stuck due to
- device out of battery
- pointed the wrong side of SmartTag
- no card/no credit
- wrong card inside SmartTag (bonuslink/kad mesra/etc inside smartTag)

I've done all of the above. But my worst moment at the toll booth was when my TnG card fell under the car. I had to crawl to get it.

Zeus73
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550, Kenwood DNX4150BT

#8 Post by Zeus73 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:37 am

I think Singapore's ERP system is best.

No barrier. Even if you don't have card inserted into the card reader or card no value also can pass through. Just that summon will come later. :rofl:

Noah
Senior Mapper
GPS: 60csx, Nuvi 2465

#9 Post by Noah » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:42 pm

Zeus73 wrote:I think Singapore's ERP system is best.

No barrier. Even if you don't have card inserted into the card reader or card no value also can pass through. Just that summon will come later. :rofl:
Wow! I didn't know this. This is an excellent method!! No jams, no holdup. No ballooning roads just for the toll plaza.

The authorities probably didn't implement this in Malaysia because they know Malaysians do not honor summons.
Mappers wanted. Read this to get started. Payment = Recognition = Priceless.
We don't just build maps. We build relationships.

Follow our map updates on Twitter

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#10 Post by SilverBeauty » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:02 pm

Noah wrote:
Zeus73 wrote:I think Singapore's ERP system is best.

Wow! I didn't know this. This is an excellent method!! No jams, no holdup. No ballooning roads just for the toll plaza.

The authorities probably didn't implement this in Malaysia because they know Malaysians do not honor summons.

Noah, there is a catch to the successful implementation of this system. Each and Every car needs to have in IU installed. An IU is similar to the smart Tag. It needs a cash card ( like the touch n go ) card. Each IU is tag to car and not transferable. Question in Malaysia will be the authority must enforce this rule else what is to prevent one from transferring it to another vehicle ? like from a car to a bus whose toll fee is a world of difference :mrgreen: :-'