SmartTag - Is It Worth It?

Take a break from GPS related topics. Share a joke or just chit chat.

Moderator: Moderators

BanBan
Qualified Mapper
GPS: 60CS, Unbranded MCX ext. antenna, Nuvi 1460, 2565.

Re: SmartTag - Is It Worth It?

#11 Post by BanBan » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:55 pm

Noah wrote:Wow! I didn't know this. This is an excellent method!! No jams, no holdup. No ballooning roads just for the toll plaza.

The authorities probably didn't implement this in Malaysia because they know Malaysians do not honor summons.
This transmitter on gantry system is the best as far as traffic flow is concerned. Australia have implemented this for some time, maybe earlier than Singapore. This sytem utilise frequencies to read the transponders installed in cars. The legacy with Smartag is that they are still using infra red as their comms medium. That's why if you have it the wrong side facing up, the gate won't tip up. The direct line of sight is a must for this outdated system. PLUS is also supposed to move up to a system that read toll without slowing traffic down. They are said to be testing new system at the Batu Tiga toll on Federal Highway. But what I see there is still the old system on infra red. I don't understand what they are "testing". If they do not change to a system that utilise frequencies, I don't think they can ever have a gantry system. Japan still have the booth lanes but the booths are unmanned and frequencies read toll from transponders in the vehicles. So traffic flow is smooth.

So, toll collection in Australia and Japan do not cause traffic congestion. Come this Hari Raya balik kampung exodus, just watch. The biggest cause of jams at the highways are the toll booths. But it is hard to admit this fact.
"Aha! Papa got a new toy!" - BanBan (My 3 yr old daughter)

valpac
Tracker
GPS: nüvi 1460

#12 Post by valpac » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:21 pm

Europe generally uses APNR - Automatic Number Plate Recognition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_ ... ecognition The congestion charge in London uses this method.

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)

#13 Post by ace » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:58 am

SilverBeauty wrote:
Noah wrote:Wow! I didn't know this. This is an excellent method!! No jams, no holdup. No ballooning roads just for the toll plaza.

The authorities probably didn't implement this in Malaysia because they know Malaysians do not honor summons.

Noah, there is a catch to the successful implementation of this system. Each and Every car needs to have in IU installed. An IU is similar to the smart Tag. It needs a cash card ( like the touch n go ) card. Each IU is tag to car and not transferable. Question in Malaysia will be the authority must enforce this rule else what is to prevent one from transferring it to another vehicle ? like from a car to a bus whose toll fee is a world of difference :mrgreen: :-'
Er.. there is a secondary system... if you don't have the cashcard, you must give your broadest smile to the camera.... Of course if there is an intention to cheap, the fella would pull out all stops to evade paying the fees. But it is a matter of time. :mrgreen:
I don't have free fish......