those Born in the 50's , 60's & early '70s...

Take a break from GPS related topics. Share a joke or just chit chat.

Moderator: Moderators

gpseu
Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi2465
SolarBT2.3MR

Re: those Born in the 50's , 60's & early '70s...

#11 Post by gpseu » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:18 pm

Yeah..all these surely bring us down the memory lanes.. :-'
I remember taking only 10 cents to school during my early primary....and that 10 cents were surely as big as a bullock cart wheels in those days :mrgreen:

bernGPS
Senior Mapper
GPS: Garmin 10x, GPSmap78s (now become a lemon) & etrex Vista HCx

#12 Post by bernGPS » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:36 pm

Fishing for snake heads in the longkang and chasing fish in the lounge room during the annual flood in December

waypoint
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Trimble Ensign.Foretrex 101/401.Etrex H/Vista HCx.Nuvi 255W/205.NOKIA E72.iPad 64GB 3G.

#13 Post by waypoint » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:43 pm

Dei, that wan called ABC, lah! Air Batu Campur! And if you had any toys at all, something that didn't run on batteries was the norm! Catapults, "bulldozers", cap guns and etc...

I especially enjoyed the days when I visited my grand-aunt in Trong, Ipoh almost every Dec holidays. The extended family there owned(or still owns) a row of shop-houses of which one was an indian coffee-shop that sold roti-chanai(free flow of that and hot drinks every morning!). Besides that they also ran a provision shop. Behind the shop-houses were durian, rubber and old-palm plantations. The care-free days of riding the Flying-Man tricycle till an axle broke, my first cigarette, first time firing a double barreled shot-gun, eating a roasted bird of some kind over a camp-fire in the open, eating raw lotus seeds from the pod itself and trying to 'siam' the 'anti-personnel mines' a.k.a cow pats whenever we ran around outside. Then later, driving around the plantations at break-neck speeds(for a then 16-year-old) in an early model Mitsubishi Pajero in the plantations! Thanks to all my uncles! :mrgreen:

The memories!
turbosnail wrote:...and ice ball dips in syrup and brown sugar costs 5 cents a piece. :D
"Heroes are born when bullets fly, when the earth explodes, when cannons roar, When Trumpets Fade."

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)

#14 Post by ace » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:09 pm

Make your own razor sharp kite string......look for empty glass botte, break it, pound it to tiny bits....buy the "gula" from the med shop, get a empty milk tin, put some water, start a bbq fire, bring it to boil, add the "gula" and the glass bits...throw in the ball of string....find two trees standing apart from each other....go around with the string and boiled concoction....wait for it to dry....roll the string up....get a kite...go to the kite fighting field....test the string against other....if your kite stays up...Good...if your kite goes down...too bad...join the rest of the gang with bamboo and tree branches and try and get your kite back.....worse of all....tear it to bits....and back to the drawing board on the string. :mrgreen:

And make sure...mum don't know anything. :-#

Cane fest is the order of the day. :-$

The kids of this generation....nah...they don't know what fun is. :mrgreen:
I don't have free fish......

ronchan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Columbus-v700, Ipaq4150, Garmin Que, Mapking 2007. Ruvo Avox UMPC, Garmin Mobile PC.

#15 Post by ronchan » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:14 pm

turbosnail wrote:...and ice ball dips in syrup and brown sugar costs 5 cents a piece. :D
and cut into several pieces and share... :mrgreen:

waypoint
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Trimble Ensign.Foretrex 101/401.Etrex H/Vista HCx.Nuvi 255W/205.NOKIA E72.iPad 64GB 3G.

#16 Post by waypoint » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:21 pm

Flatten out a bottle cap, punch two holes through it in the centre, thread a strong string through it, loop it, wind it up, and then fight it out with another opponent?

:thumbsup:

bR,
w a y
"Heroes are born when bullets fly, when the earth explodes, when cannons roar, When Trumpets Fade."

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#17 Post by cruiser » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:26 pm

ace wrote:Make your own razor sharp kite string......look for empty glass botte, break it, pound it to tiny bits....buy the "gula" from the med shop, get a empty milk tin, put some water, start a bbq fire, bring it to boil, add the "gula" and the glass bits...throw in the ball of string....find two trees standing apart from each other....go around with the string and boiled concoction....wait for it to dry....roll the string up....get a kite...go to the kite fighting field....test the string against other....if your kite stays up...Good...if your kite goes down...too bad...join the rest of the gang with bamboo and tree branches and try and get your kite back.....worse of all....tear it to bits....and back to the drawing board on the string. :mrgreen:
:mrgreen:

Heyyy, went thru that too... but I selected, pounded to fine smitterins on those long Phillips luminous lamps and kite fighting is a true thrill when slicing the others off theirs... and in the evenings, go hunt flying foxes...come back during dawn with my other "local uncles" too!

Further enjoyed "sepak Takraw" too and spear-diving fishing along the Causeway!!! \:D/
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

badrol
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Garmin Nuvi200

#18 Post by badrol » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:27 pm

I'm still young la...wait a minute........I played all that stuffs..........ahhhhhhhhhhhh I belong in that group....

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#19 Post by SilverBeauty » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:13 pm

Fun with nature ... catching spiders of a certain species ( white face ), looking for male ones and then keeping them alive by catching houseflies to feed them and then later battle royal with friends

singawon
Elite
Elite
GPS: XXX

#20 Post by singawon » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:55 pm

Ya those were the days, no worries, play play play,eat eat eat , sleep sleep sleep.... :mrgreen: