Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:29 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Looking for HD camcorder
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:07 am 

GPS: Was: Nokia N81 8Gb + Nokia LD-4W + Nokia Maps
Now: Nuvi 255W SgMy
I'm looking around to buy a HD camcorder. Sony, Canon, Panasonic etc. Base model or slightly better.

With a whole bunch of tech-savvy guys/gals here I was hoping for some tips, advice, recommendations or anything at all. Anyone? Please..

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:41 am 

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 1350 GPS Navigator
Hi Bagong, not sure whether you have purchased your camcorder but since I enjoy recording videos myself using camcorders and then replaying the videos on the big screen in my living room, the following two models are my suggestions for you.

If you don't have a lot of budget for your new camcorder, check out the Samsung SMX-C200 model. It has everything that a basic camcorder should have. Although the video quality produced may be a little bit low as compared to higher end models, you shouldn't complain much considering the fact that it's only sold at RM599.

If you are rich ( :D ) and don't mind splashing your money on a new camcorder, then you should go for the Sony Handycam HDR-PJ760. I personally like all the cams that fall under the Sony Handycam series but this model should be the best. The HDR-PJ760 comes with an awesome image stabilizer. Just watch the video below:

Not to mention that it is incredibly nice to hold in your hands too.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:42 pm 
Senior Mapper

GPS: 60csx, Nuvi 2465
Should get one of those GPS camcorders. I'm looking for one for tracking. This should be a step-up from a digicam.

Follow our map updates on Twitter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:02 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: nuvi
Noah wrote:
Should get one of those GPS camcorders. I'm looking for one for tracking. This should be a step-up from a digicam.

Some GPS cam only geotag 1 location per video, you'll need one that is capable of geotagging individual frames.

http://kolimat.com/products/roadscan-dtw-10/about-dtw
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dashcam/id396087757
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adrive-video/id452821602

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:22 pm 

GPS: Nuvi 2565, GPSMAP 62sc
Noah wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, 2575R GDR10 capable of capturing video with GPS on each frames, is it not?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:41 pm 
Senior Mapper

GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30
sablimator wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, 2575R GDR10 capable of capturing video with GPS on each frames, is it not?

Yes, but the video is poor - at best 720i which is far from true HD of 1080p. Besides that it is not portable.

If you are interested more on the video and are prepared for a weaker performance on the GPS side, consider the following product: http://contour.com/products/contour-plus.

Contour Plus is an improvement over the older ContourGPS. It is very strong on the video side - a true 1080p and compressed so the files are much smaller than the GDR10 which records in AVI and takes up 8GB space for about 1 hour of 720i.

I imagined it would be very useful for all outdoor activities with the camera attached to your cap, including sight-seeing walkabouts in a foreign land - recording both the good and the bad that you may encounter. There have been issues with the battery as reviews on Amazon have revealed so I am waiting for an improvement to Contour Plus before considering.