Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:57 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Hamburger Kaki.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:09 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Location: Acme Township, Ulu Michigan, USA and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
GPS: eTrex Vista HCx, Nuvi 3560, GPS Essentials on Android.
... and the interesting thing is that what we understand as "hamburger" apparently is very different from what people in Hamburg, Germany, understand to be a "Hamburg steak."

BTW, nice to see this tasty :hungry: thread revived after 2.5 years! :thumbsup:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:03 pm 
Regular
Regular

GPS: 60CS
SOSweet wrote:
That's why it is called "Penang Laksa". Whereas here we just named it "Laksa". =P~

Sorry for OT.

Hmm.... It is the other way round in Penang. In my whole life in Penang, when we want to say we want to go and eat Laksa, we never say "Penang Laksa". It is only "let's go and eat Laksa".

In Penang, I have never heard (so far) any reference to "Singapore Laksa" or any other Laksa. There is only "Laksa" and the "Lemak Laksa".

The "Lemak Laksa" is lemak version of the normal "Laksa" with all the strip cucumbers and even the fish soup, but instead of being sour, it has lemak taste added.

I suspect that with the openning of so many shopping malls and restaurants in Penang, by now, there may be "Singapore Laksa" or some other "... Laksa" available, but so far I have not yet seen or heard.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:13 pm 
Regular
Regular

hayamaguchi wrote:
... and the interesting thing is that what we understand as "hamburger" apparently is very different from what people in Hamburg, Germany, understand to be a "Hamburg steak."

BTW, nice to see this tasty :hungry: thread revived after 2.5 years! :thumbsup:

Well, that is due to human creativity, I guess. To take the Laksa example again, to my experinece, what people outside of Penang understand as "Penang Laksa" apparently is very different from what people in Penang understand to be Laksa.

I my personal experience, it is so different that I have never (yet) found any "Penang Laksa" outside of Penang that qualifies as the Laksa in Penang.

Similarly with Penang Hokkien Mee. Same problem as the Laska above.

At least for Char Koay Teow, many years ago, I tasted some authentic "Penang Char Koay Teow" in Lorong Marzuki in Singapore. Not sure if it is still there (more than 10 years ago), but the person who did the cooking was from Pulau Tikus in Penang. Hehe!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:49 pm 
Senior Mapper

GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)
That is the beauty of localised specialties. A taste evolved in-situ using ingredients that are available
locally. Having said that, the ppl who eats the food also need to evolve to appreciate the local taste.
I tried the Penang Laksa just recently - while I appreciate the the effort put in, I didn't quite like the
fishy aftertaste of the soup base. Same with the keropok lekoh of Terengganu. To a guy from Sandakan
where fresh seafood means a live fish or one that has not been put into a fridge, the fishy smell suggests
the fish is not fresh. Actually as far as "laksa" is concern, I still like the Penang one only if it is less fishy
smell. Other laksa I tried in Sabah contains a lot of coconut cream. Some ppl even add extra idea milk.

Another laksa is Asam Laksa, Sarawak Laksa ( I believe drier gravy) and curry laksa

Back to the hamburger: there are now bun-less (Low Carbo) burgers where the meat and veg are place
between 2 pieces of lettuce. A macho steak sandwich is almost like a burger expect it uses bread rather
than buns - so how do we classify what is a burger and what is a sandwich?

I wonder if the Japanese will come up with a salmon sashimi + wasabi burger with Tamago as buns?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:18 am 
Regular
Regular

I just tried the Marshall's Burger shop in Penang. I tried the one in Burma Road. I tried the basic one and the taste is very good. Next time, I will try the other meats and combos.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:44 pm 
Senior Mapper

GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30
bartmp8 wrote:
That is the beauty of localised specialties. A taste evolved in-situ using ingredients that are available
locally. Having said that, the ppl who eats the food also need to evolve to appreciate the local taste.
I tried the Penang Laksa just recently - while I appreciate the the effort put in, I didn't quite like the
fishy aftertaste of the soup base. Same with the keropok lekoh of Terengganu. To a guy from Sandakan
where fresh seafood means a live fish or one that has not been put into a fridge, the fishy smell suggests
the fish is not fresh. Actually as far as "laksa" is concern, I still like the Penang one only if it is less fishy
smell. Other laksa I tried in Sabah contains a lot of coconut cream. Some ppl even add extra idea milk.

Another laksa is Asam Laksa, Sarawak Laksa ( I believe drier gravy) and curry laksa

Back to the hamburger: there are now bun-less (Low Carbo) burgers where the meat and veg are place
between 2 pieces of lettuce. A macho steak sandwich is almost like a burger expect it uses bread rather
than buns - so how do we classify what is a burger and what is a sandwich?

I wonder if the Japanese will come up with a salmon sashimi + wasabi burger with Tamago as buns?

Dear Bart,

I love my fish too. I love them fresh. I eat a lot of sashimi.

Having said that, there are certain concoctions that actually taste bad if they are not fishy or prawny. Local products like Hae Ko (prawn paste) must be smelly. Similarly Belacan or Chinchalok etc. A lobster bisque will not sell if it is not prawny nor will soupe de poisson if not fishy.

Likewise a Hae Mee must be prawny and Laksa must be fishy (plus the added Hae Ko making it even more fishy and prawny) or else the aficionados won't touch them

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:56 pm 
Senior Mapper

bartmp8 wrote:

Salmon (sake) sashimi already exists and so does wasabi burgers but using tamago as buns may not happen because both physically eggs are too small and there are still a lot of people sold on the lie that eggs are bad for heart health.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:21 pm 
Senior Mapper

Smelly stuff is what people like to torture their visitors with. By smelly, I mean rotten smell.

The Europeans have their blue cheese.
The Japanese have their Shiokara and Natto
The Taiwanese their smelly tofu

What about Malaysians?

I think Durian will take the cake.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:25 pm 
Senior Mapper

FrancisTLim wrote:
I just tried the Marshall's Burger shop in Penang. I tried the one in Burma Road. I tried the basic one and the taste is very good. Next time, I will try the other meats and combos.

Dear Bro Francis,

The Marshall's Burger shop is not in our map. Can I have the coords so I can put it in? TQ.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:31 pm 
Senior Mapper

FrancisTLim wrote:
Hmm.... It is the other way round in Penang. In my whole life in Penang, when we want to say we want to go and eat Laksa, we never say "Penang Laksa". It is only "let's go and eat Laksa".

In Penang, I have never heard (so far) any reference to "Singapore Laksa" or any other Laksa. There is only "Laksa" and the "Lemak Laksa".

The "Lemak Laksa" is lemak version of the normal "Laksa" with all the strip cucumbers and even the fish soup, but instead of being sour, it has lemak taste added.

I suspect that with the openning of so many shopping malls and restaurants in Penang, by now, there may be "Singapore Laksa" or some other "... Laksa" available, but so far I have not yet seen or heard.

The Laksa stall in Queensbay Mall had Laksas from all over the country (some I have never heard of or tried) but unfortunately they cannot survive and is now tutup.

Don't pray pray with Penang food vendors.