kong kong fishing anyone?

Hamsters, geocachers, hikers, bikers, 4WD kakis, aviationist, fishing fans, scrambler fans, kitesurfers and more .. come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

Syntheticbr0
GPS: GARMIN nuvi 205

kong kong fishing anyone?

#1 Post by Syntheticbr0 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:31 pm

plan to go on nov,one day trip,anyone keen?

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

Re: kong kong fishing anyone?

#2 Post by Redstorm » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:42 pm

Syntheticbr0 wrote:plan to go on nov,one day trip,anyone keen?
Kong kong village is situated by the Johor River. Got good fishing ground, meh? Not that I know of. I spent a large part of my school holidays during my childhood in the 60s staying with my grandparents who had a house by the river there. Had a great time fishing but not much of a good catch there, unless there is a secret fishing spot that I am not aware of. :mrgreen:
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

#3 Post by bartmp8 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:48 pm

Redstorm wrote:
Kong kong village is situated by the Johor River. Got good fishing ground, meh? Not that I know of. I spent a large part of my school holidays during my childhood in the 60s staying with my grandparents who had a house by the river there. Had a great time fishing but not much of a good catch there, unless there is a secret fishing spot that I am not aware of. :mrgreen:
Bro Redstorm,

I think he means go fishing for Kong Kong rather than go Kong Kong for fishing :-k
Btw, Kong kong is some sort of clams isn't it? :oops:

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

#4 Post by Redstorm » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:16 am

bartmp8 wrote: Bro Redstorm,

I think he means go fishing for Kong Kong rather than go Kong Kong for fishing :-k
Btw, Kong kong is some sort of clams isn't it? :oops:
If kong kong is a type of clam, so how does one fish for them since the title is "kong kong fishing...."? Using a line with bait, a net, etc.?? #-o :-k :mrgreen: As far as I know, for clams, ppl usually dig them from the mud bed during low tide.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#5 Post by SilverBeauty » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:36 am

bartmp8 wrote: snip .... Btw, Kong kong is some sort of clams isn't it? :oops: ... snip
As extracted from Wikipedia :

"Kong Kong" according to ancient Malaysian folklore, is a gigantic mythical tiger that was said to harbor great wisdom and feast upon the hearts of weak minded villagers.

Kong Kong is a small village near Pasir Gudang, Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia.
Kong Kong is a haven for anglers and seasports enthusiasts with the waterfront providing a perfect setting. It is also famous for its seafood. The quiet and tranquil setting of the sea front adds to the romantic dinners here, especially popular with young people from Johor Bahru and Singapore. For those seeking a quiet place to spend their evenings or weekends, they can put up for a a night or two here. A drive or walk to the nearby fishing village is an added unique experience in itself.

Not far away, is the 117-acre (0.5 km2) Agriculture Park, which are planted with many varieties of durian, the king of Malaysian fruit. A large area of pandan coconuts and other types of fruits can also be found. There are also several ponds here, a driving range and a greenery. The park is simply an amazing place to spend some quality time with the family or memorable experiences with a group of friends. The area recently received Broadband coverage.

LLCC
GPS: Magellan Sportrek pro, Garmin 76CSx

#6 Post by LLCC » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:44 am

There are small fibreglass motorboats for hire. However, the river system around Kong Kong are filled with submerged stumps and shallow sand banks. If one is not familiar, can result in damage to the motor's lower unit. So it is better to hire a fishing guide.

I remember there is a rocky reef in front of Kampong Tg Buai that always produce some small groupers and red snappers.

LL
Lawrence Lee

taipan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nokia, iPhone, Garmin and up to 10 Hz NMEA driven. Lastest Nuvi 2565LM with GDR10.

#7 Post by taipan » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:02 am

Ai Ya! You two 1 talking chicken and another talking about duck la.

Kong Kong is a place about 8km up the Johore River North of Pulau Tekong, referred to by the thread starter and Redstorm. I was told that it is a good place to fish for Groupers, but never fish there before. On the other hand, I believe Bartmp8 was referring to the small shellfish called Gonggong by locals as in Lala and gonggong.

Syntheticbr0, it would be useful to say where you are starting from for this trip. Singapore or JB and how you plan to get there, by road or by river.

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

#8 Post by Redstorm » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:13 am

Kong KOng in the 60s was very ulu. Some of my uncles even claimed to have heard tiger roaring from the inside of the plantation infront of their house. My mum and her 11 other siblings were all born in Kong Kong. My grandparents used to be the richest family there and owned a few kelongs and a few fishing trawlers before the war. Their house was the only 2-storey building in the whole kampong with the front operating as a provision shop. During high tide, the water reached right up to the back of the house. I enjoyed most during my childhood was the frequent trips there during school holidays for fishing and swimming. I remember one of my uncle used to row his small boat and setting up nets along the river for flower crabs. On one of the trips with him to the middle of the river, he harvested about 8 big basketful of crabs! The river around the area is not a good fishing ground although there are certain parts where u can get certain type of fishes. ALthough there is nothing much to see and do there nowadays, I still make trips there for nostalgic reason. Maybe, I should try fishing there again. :(
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#9 Post by SilverBeauty » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:46 am

taipan wrote:Ai Ya! You two 1 talking chicken and another talking about duck la.

Kong Kong is a place about 8km up the Johore River North of Pulau Tekong, referred to by the thread starter and Redstorm. I was told that it is a good place to fish for Groupers, but never fish there before. On the other hand, I believe Bartmp8 was referring to the small shellfish called Gonggong by locals as in Lala and gonggong.

Syntheticbr0, it would be useful to say where you are starting from for this trip. Singapore or JB and how you plan to get there, by road or by river.

Bro taipan, we believe we are all in sync on the subject. The place is in mapsource. Pls see attached
Attachments
KongKong.JPG
KongKong.JPG (106.52 KiB) Viewed 3966 times

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

#10 Post by Redstorm » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:51 am

SilverBeauty wrote:
Bro taipan, we believe we are all in sync on the subject. The place is in mapsource. Pls see attached
Yeah, Ronnie, that's the place. From Masai all the way to the end.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P