Mountain biking kaki unite!

Hamsters, geocachers, hikers, bikers, 4WD kakis, aviationist, fishing fans, scrambler fans, kitesurfers and more .. come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

bctk68
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Oregon 300 ~ slightly abused by now!!

Re: Mountain biking kaki unite!

#211 Post by bctk68 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:40 pm

Hello MTB Kakis,

I'm new at this thread. I'm searching for advice from all you guys for an update on the MTB scene.

I'm 46 years this year. Given up mountain biking for a number of years now. I used to ride a Giant dual suspension (can't even remember the model, bike stolen)

I'd like to pick it up again & am planning to buy an XC dual suspension. Can anyone recommend any models and shops in Singapore that offers good value bikes ranging between S$1000 ~ 1500. As I don't think I'll be as crazy about it this time, popular brands will not be a must... eg. higher specs lesser known brands is better than entry level big brand ones

Any advice is much appreciated.

Tks/Rgds

xcqckng
GPS: 60CSx & 255W

#212 Post by xcqckng » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:21 pm

latest mtb hash ride in bkt kiara, organised by KLMBH http://klmbhash.ning.com/
Attachments
kiara_hash2.jpg
kiara_hash.jpg
kiara_hash_90118.gdb
(215.42 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

udaloy
Regular
Regular
GPS: Legend C

#213 Post by udaloy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:57 am

bctk68 wrote:Hello MTB Kakis,

I'm new at this thread. I'm searching for advice from all you guys for an update on the MTB scene.

I'm 46 years this year. Given up mountain biking for a number of years now. I used to ride a Giant dual suspension (can't even remember the model, bike stolen)

I'd like to pick it up again & am planning to buy an XC dual suspension. Can anyone recommend any models and shops in Singapore that offers good value bikes ranging between S$1000 ~ 1500. As I don't think I'll be as crazy about it this time, popular brands will not be a must... eg. higher specs lesser known brands is better than entry level big brand ones

Tks/Rgds
$1000-$1500 won't even get you a new bike with serious components.

Perhaps you can consider getting a used one which would be more value for money.

All info on MBT can be found here

http://www.togoparts.com/

assry
GPS: Nokia

#214 Post by assry » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:00 pm

Hi MTB Biker's,

Feel free pls visit my blog.. http://puncakjalilmountainbike.blogspot.com/

Enjoy ur ride..

psionsiena
Regular
Regular
GPS: 60csx, 3790T

#215 Post by psionsiena » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:13 pm

bctk68 wrote:Hello MTB Kakis,

Tks/Rgds
I agree with udaloy. Your budget can probably get you a decent-enough hardtail MTB. However, a dual-sus at that price will come with inferior parts and be rather heavy. You might get a good deal for a 2nd hand bike at togoparts.com or smbf.com.sg.

As for shops, I've personally had good experiences at Chapter2cycle in Ang Mo Kio, and Hup Leong in Chinatown.
A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.

bctk68
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#216 Post by bctk68 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:53 pm

psionsiena wrote:
I agree with udaloy. Your budget can probably get you a decent-enough hardtail MTB. However, a dual-sus at that price will come with inferior parts and be rather heavy. You might get a good deal for a 2nd hand bike at togoparts.com or smbf.com.sg.

As for shops, I've personally had good experiences at Chapter2cycle in Ang Mo Kio, and Hup Leong in Chinatown.
Thanks guys for your advice... but somehow I'm still stuck in a "mental block" preventing me from facing the truth about the prices of present day bikes...."still living in the past" syndrome!!

Anyways, I came across a dual-susp KSH XC104 on sale for $999 at Takashimaya ( of all places ) and on a freak impulse, bought it. Nothing to shout about components, a little too soft 100mm front shocks for my liking but otherwise, its kinda fun to get back to biking after all these years. I suppose at 16kg, its a water buffalo for today's standard... well, I hope I can enjoy it for now..

:tq:

psionsiena
Regular
Regular
GPS: 60csx, 3790T

#217 Post by psionsiena » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:04 pm

bctk68 wrote: Thanks guys for your advice... but somehow I'm still stuck in a "mental block" preventing me from facing the truth about the prices of present day bikes...."still living in the past" syndrome!!

Anyways, I came across a dual-susp KSH XC104 on sale for $999 at Takashimaya ( of all places ) and on a freak impulse, bought it. Nothing to shout about components, a little too soft 100mm front shocks for my liking but otherwise, its kinda fun to get back to biking after all these years. I suppose at 16kg, its a water buffalo for today's standard... well, I hope I can enjoy it for now..

I suppose you mean KHS XC104 http://www.khsbicycles.com/03_xc_104_09.htm ? Looks good! Yep funny place to purchase a bike. But good to know that they are not always selling only those Aleocas :-' I'm sure you'll have lots of fun!
A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.

Rule
GPS: Garmin 60CSX

#218 Post by Rule » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:28 pm

Hello to all MTB Bro.

Anybody have *.gdb file for thomson trail at Cameron Highland?

Emkay
GPS: Dell Axim x51v + Holux GPSR
Nuvi 300 no TTS and unlocked Malsingmap :)

#219 Post by Emkay » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:48 am

bctk68 wrote: Anyways, I came across a dual-susp KSH XC104 on sale for $999 at Takashimaya ( of all places ) and on a freak impulse, bought it. Nothing to shout about components, a little too soft 100mm front shocks for my liking but otherwise, its kinda fun to get back to biking after all these years. I suppose at 16kg, its a water buffalo for today's standard... well, I hope I can enjoy it for now..

looks good.

Don't worry about the price and components .. just ride and enjoy the nature.

My bike is turning 12 this year .. about time for me to get back cycling as well :D

bctk68
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#220 Post by bctk68 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:58 am

Emkay wrote:
looks good.

Don't worry about the price and components .. just ride and enjoy the nature. My bike is turning 12 this year .. about time for me to get back cycling as well :D
psionsiena wrote:
I suppose you mean KHS XC104 http://www.khsbicycles.com/03_xc_104_09.htm ? Looks good! Yep funny place to purchase a bike. But good to know that they are not always selling only those Aleocas :-' I'm sure you'll have lots of fun!
Emkay,

I supposed they're selling at that price is because its a 2007 model but I don't see much of a difference with the 2009 model in terms of specs.

psionsiena,

Its good to know I could have something to do with getting someone out of biking retirement. I myself have laid off for many many years now and yes, at 46, it's :x tough to climb the :x slopes man!! .... but everytime I :x :x I thinks of my "internal plumbings" being cleared & that somewhat kept me going...

Glad I'm back to it.... :tq: guys