Mountain biking kaki unite!

Hamsters, geocachers, hikers, bikers, 4WD kakis, aviationist, fishing fans, scrambler fans, kitesurfers and more .. come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

Emkay
GPS: Dell Axim x51v + Holux GPSR
Nuvi 300 no TTS and unlocked Malsingmap :)

Re: Mountain biking kaki unite!

#221 Post by Emkay » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:49 am

oh another old uncle mountain biker :P

gee .. not sure my 40 year-old bones can handle the trail ... may be next week go T15 with another 50+ uncle first .. before we hit BT.

kayanat
GPS: NONE

#222 Post by kayanat » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:17 pm

Hi I'm new to biking. I'm starting to get more and more interested in mountain biking. I enjoy going to my local canyon in Aliso Viejo. I was just wondering what are some inexpensive and easy ways to make my bike well, better(faster, lighter, etc.). I have a specialized that i bought a few years ago. it has disk brakes, shocks, 24 gears, it was about 300 dollars. so how do i make it better?
Last edited by kayanat on Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner
GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S

#223 Post by adilothman » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:53 pm

kayanat wrote:Hi I'm new to biking. I'm starting to get more and more interested in mountain biking. I enjoy going to my local canyon in Aliso Viejo. I was just wondering what are some inexpensive and easy ways to make my bike well, better(faster, lighter, etc.). I have a specialized that i bought a few years ago. it has disk brakes, shocks, 24 gears, it was about 300 dollars. so how do i make it better?
It depends the kind of terrain you want to ride on.

Start with a good frame.

Then go for better components.

You need to invest in better group sets. Shimano XT would be good enough for most applications : groupsets come with brakes, chain, cassette, front and rear dr, crank. These are lightweight and can take abuse. Personally i would go for 27 gears - a must have is the 34T cog for big climbs. Then comes the suspension, the wheelset, the seatpost .. etc. The sky is only limited by your budget.
Malsingmaps is now an official partner of Garmin to produce maps for MY, SG & Brunei.

udaloy
Regular
Regular
GPS: Legend C

#224 Post by udaloy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:41 am

kayanat wrote:Hi I'm new to biking. I'm starting to get more and more interested in mountain biking. I enjoy going to my local canyon in Aliso Viejo. I was just wondering what are some inexpensive and easy ways to make my bike well, better(faster, lighter, etc.). I have a specialized that i bought a few years ago. it has disk brakes, shocks, 24 gears, it was about 300 dollars. so how do i make it better?
Unless you have a good frame, otherwise it's not logical to upgrade to a XT level components.

Since you mentioned that your bike was bought for $300, regardless of the currency, i don't think the components are even LX level. So there is a limit to how much lighter, and faster you can improve with your existing bike.

For speed, you would need to change everything that rotates. The best bang for buck single piece of component is to replace t6he chain. Then you can move on to the drive train ie, crank, and bottom bracket, rear derailer, then to the hubs.

To cut weight, the fork and frame are the heaviest parts, any reduction in weight in these two items would have a significant impact on the overall weight. The cheapest and the best is for the rider to lose weight :mrgreen:

Scout around for used parts as they are usually valued for money.

:)

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner
GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S

#225 Post by adilothman » Tue May 26, 2009 11:22 am

Don't forget this month's hash at Puncak Alam this Sunday 31 May 2009. The only other place you can get a view as good as this would be up in the hills in Ijok.

Carpark at : N3 13 18.6 E101 26 11.2
Attachments
zIMGP5608.jpg
Malsingmaps is now an official partner of Garmin to produce maps for MY, SG & Brunei.

feiluman
Regular
Regular
GPS: 60CSx

#226 Post by feiluman » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:51 am

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3343&start=80

I've been Riding alone, look forward to join some sifu around my area...
Attachments
kundang farmland 3.jpg
kundang farmland 3.jpg (49.86 KiB) Viewed 2345 times

Rule
GPS: Garmin 60CSX

#227 Post by Rule » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:23 pm

adilothman wrote:Don't forget this month's hash at Puncak Alam this Sunday 31 May 2009. The only other place you can get a view as good as this would be up in the hills in Ijok.

Carpark at : N3 13 18.6 E101 26 11.2
Hi Bro, i feel regret not be able to join the hash.
Can you share the *.gdb file in this forum.
or if you plan to ride there again, can you pm me, so that i can join your group.
But i am not really fit, that why i bought GPS so that i can ride with my own phase.

Hi!hi!hi!

airman_esa
GPS: Nokia Sports Tracker

#228 Post by airman_esa » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:30 pm

hey guy....

im a MTB newbie

staying at Cheras... im looking 4 riding partner... bosan haram ride sorang2...

summore, x bly na improve riding skill if, sgt ride sorang...

if u guys going out 4 MTB, pls do invite me...

thnx

Rule
GPS: Garmin 60CSX

#229 Post by Rule » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:19 pm

airman_esa wrote:hey guy....

im a MTB newbie

staying at Cheras... im looking 4 riding partner... bosan haram ride sorang2...

summore, x bly na improve riding skill if, sgt ride sorang...

if u guys going out 4 MTB, pls do invite me...

thnx
Hi airman...join us if you want to ride in group, detail please check our blogspot http://kayuhbeb.blogspot.com/ and chat with us.

bctk68
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Oregon 300 ~ slightly abused by now!!

#230 Post by bctk68 » Sat May 15, 2010 2:24 pm

Hi MTB Kakis,

I'm looking for Scott Genius MTBs and was unofficially told that Pro Bike doesn't import them anymore. Anyone know where to find them in Malaysia nowadays?
:tq: