Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:23 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:49 am 

GPS: Dell Axim x51v + Holux GPSR
Nuvi 300 no TTS and unlocked Malsingmap :)
oh another old uncle mountain biker :P

gee .. not sure my 40 year-old bones can handle the trail ... may be next week go T15 with another 50+ uncle first .. before we hit BT.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:17 pm 

GPS: NONE
Hi I'm new to biking. I'm starting to get more and more interested in mountain biking. I enjoy going to my local canyon in Aliso Viejo. I was just wondering what are some inexpensive and easy ways to make my bike well, better(faster, lighter, etc.). I have a specialized that i bought a few years ago. it has disk brakes, shocks, 24 gears, it was about 300 dollars. so how do i make it better?

Last edited by kayanat on Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:53 pm 
Site Owner
Site Owner

GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S
kayanat wrote:
Hi I'm new to biking. I'm starting to get more and more interested in mountain biking. I enjoy going to my local canyon in Aliso Viejo. I was just wondering what are some inexpensive and easy ways to make my bike well, better(faster, lighter, etc.). I have a specialized that i bought a few years ago. it has disk brakes, shocks, 24 gears, it was about 300 dollars. so how do i make it better?

It depends the kind of terrain you want to ride on.

Start with a good frame.

Then go for better components.

You need to invest in better group sets. Shimano XT would be good enough for most applications : groupsets come with brakes, chain, cassette, front and rear dr, crank. These are lightweight and can take abuse. Personally i would go for 27 gears - a must have is the 34T cog for big climbs. Then comes the suspension, the wheelset, the seatpost .. etc. The sky is only limited by your budget.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:41 am 
Regular
Regular

GPS: Legend C
kayanat wrote:

Unless you have a good frame, otherwise it's not logical to upgrade to a XT level components.

Since you mentioned that your bike was bought for $300, regardless of the currency, i don't think the components are even LX level. So there is a limit to how much lighter, and faster you can improve with your existing bike.

For speed, you would need to change everything that rotates. The best bang for buck single piece of component is to replace t6he chain. Then you can move on to the drive train ie, crank, and bottom bracket, rear derailer, then to the hubs.

To cut weight, the fork and frame are the heaviest parts, any reduction in weight in these two items would have a significant impact on the overall weight. The cheapest and the best is for the rider to lose weight :mrgreen:

Scout around for used parts as they are usually valued for money.

:)

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:22 am 
Site Owner
Site Owner

GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S
Don't forget this month's hash at Puncak Alam this Sunday 31 May 2009. The only other place you can get a view as good as this would be up in the hills in Ijok.

Carpark at : N3 13 18.6 E101 26 11.2

Attachments:
zIMGP5608.jpg
zIMGP5608.jpg [ 234.35 KiB | Viewed 857 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:51 am 
Regular
Regular

GPS: 60CSx
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=3343&start=80

I've been Riding alone, look forward to join some sifu around my area...

Attachments:
kundang farmland 3.jpg
kundang farmland 3.jpg [ 49.86 KiB | Viewed 851 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:23 pm 

GPS: Garmin 60CSX
adilothman wrote:
Don't forget this month's hash at Puncak Alam this Sunday 31 May 2009. The only other place you can get a view as good as this would be up in the hills in Ijok.

Carpark at : N3 13 18.6 E101 26 11.2

Hi Bro, i feel regret not be able to join the hash.
Can you share the *.gdb file in this forum.
or if you plan to ride there again, can you pm me, so that i can join your group.
But i am not really fit, that why i bought GPS so that i can ride with my own phase.

Hi!hi!hi!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:30 pm 

GPS: Nokia Sports Tracker
hey guy....

im a MTB newbie

staying at Cheras... im looking 4 riding partner... bosan haram ride sorang2...

summore, x bly na improve riding skill if, sgt ride sorang...

if u guys going out 4 MTB, pls do invite me...

thnx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:19 pm 

GPS: Garmin 60CSX
airman_esa wrote:
hey guy....

im a MTB newbie

staying at Cheras... im looking 4 riding partner... bosan haram ride sorang2...

summore, x bly na improve riding skill if, sgt ride sorang...

if u guys going out 4 MTB, pls do invite me...

thnx

Hi airman...join us if you want to ride in group, detail please check our blogspot http://kayuhbeb.blogspot.com/ and chat with us.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:24 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Oregon 300 ~ slightly abused by now!!
Hi MTB Kakis,

I'm looking for Scott Genius MTBs and was unofficially told that Pro Bike doesn't import them anymore. Anyone know where to find them in Malaysia nowadays?
:tq:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next