Any photography lovers here? Be it DSLR or film - Part 2

Hamsters, geocachers, hikers, bikers, 4WD kakis, aviationist, fishing fans, scrambler fans, kitesurfers and more .. come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

anto258
GPS: dopod p800w

Re: Any photography lovers here? Be it DSLR or film - Part

#291 Post by anto258 » Sat May 29, 2010 8:01 am

hai..
i'm newbie here..
just got my new DSLR nikon d90 5 day ago..

civic98
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 1350
Nuvi 55LM

#292 Post by civic98 » Sat May 29, 2010 8:33 am

anto258 wrote:hai..
i'm newbie here..
just got my new DSLR nikon d90 5 day ago..
Welcome welcome!!! Can't wait to see your shots!

anto258

#293 Post by anto258 » Sat May 29, 2010 8:47 am

y i can upload my photo

anto258

#294 Post by anto258 » Sat May 29, 2010 12:06 pm

this some of my pic
any komen pls
Attachments
My son.JPG
Just test my new D90
DSC_0418.JPG
just 3 day after i got my Nikon D90..
aa.JPG
i take this pic while i out of my car and i focus my camera to my wife n son where they inside the car.. througt my car windows
Last edited by anto258 on Sun May 30, 2010 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

silversider
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: 60CSx

#295 Post by silversider » Sat May 29, 2010 11:54 pm

Welcome bro anto258. :thumbsup:

Okay (besides the pm, here are my inputs):
photo 1:
possible shadow from your lens hood on the boy's face. be careful bro. Either remove the hood or use an off-camera flash. focusing is out. Next time focus on the eyes for best impact. best to get his favorite toy and hold it near to the camera for eye contact.
photo 2:
wedding shot is my grey area, maybe our other photo-dudes can give better comments, but I like the lighting, only wish the pengantin's face can be brighten up a bit, macam ada bayang je atas muka.
photo 3:
I don't understand it. Get better eye contact.

All in all, very good effort. Did you use in-camera edit to get the black and white effect? :thumbsup:

anto258

#296 Post by anto258 » Sun May 30, 2010 12:02 am

yes.. i set my d90 wiyh black n white..

any way, thank for ur opinion..
i will becare full from now
Attachments
ss.JPG
here one more pic

darthobiguan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 610, E71 + GPS10x + Symbian GMXT + NRoute + Nokia Suports Tracker + GMPC

#297 Post by darthobiguan » Sun May 30, 2010 10:52 am

Been absent for quite a long time already. Anyway, been photographing my child as much as I could these days. Here are some pictures that I would like to share with you guys.

Smile

Eyelid

Nap

civic98
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 1350
Nuvi 55LM

#298 Post by civic98 » Mon May 31, 2010 10:16 am

darthobiguan wrote:Been absent for quite a long time already. Anyway, been photographing my child as much as I could these days. Here are some pictures that I would like to share with you guys.
That's so sweeeettt.... Yet I can't still see/imagine myself in "DAD"'s position.. Sigh..

Anyway need some advice, I'm looking towards another lens, 3 choices overall, but budget at the moment allows for one only. Here they are:-

1. 50mm 1.8 (the only one that budget permits at the moment)
I'm not really sure on getting this, I was made known it's good for potraits and similar, what other good does it do that my 17-85 can't (with enough lighting)?

2. Macro lens (this is a little high on the budget, assure you it's on top of my want list if $$ permits)
But having thoughts should I get a dedicated macro lens or a telephoto/macro lens?

3. Telephoto Zoom (looking at a second hand 55-250IS, cheapest around)
I always thought I will need a longer zoom, should I just get this (which I know will not be enough later) or just wait till I have a higher budget and get a... geez I don't even dare to say it.. "L" lens..

darthobiguan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 610, E71 + GPS10x + Symbian GMXT + NRoute + Nokia Suports Tracker + GMPC

#299 Post by darthobiguan » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:09 am

This is what I can advise,

1. 50mm F/1.8 is a prime lens. Therefore, its sharpness is much better than zoom lens. Bokeh is much better too.

2. A dedicated macro lens is able to achieve 1:1 magnification ratio when the subject is at a predetermined distance from the lens. In the case of my Nikkor Micro 105mm F/2.8 (a full frame lens), when a subject with dimension of 4x6mm is at 0.314m away from the lens, the projection of the subject to the camera's sensor will also have a dimension of 4x6mm. My D90 have a crop sensor of 1.5x and I believe your Cannon 50D has a crop sensor of 1.6x. So, the subject will appear to be 1.5x and 1.6x bigger in the picture respectively. So virtually, it is like a 1:1.5 and 1:1.6 magnification ratio respectively. Please bear in mind, the projection of the subject to the sensor is still 4x6mm weather if it is a full frame or a cropped sensor.

I never own a telephoto/macro lens. But this is what I know. A telephoto/macro will not be able to achieve 1:1 ratio right out of the box. It is more of a marketing gimmick. Plus, the picture quality will not be as good compared to a dedicated prime macro lens. You will need stuff like extension tubes and close up filter maybe achieve near to 1:1 ratio.

But in the end, you will need to think what type of photography interest you the most and what type of lens might be suitable for it. If you like portrait, then get a portrait lens (medium-long telephoto, medium/long telephoto macro lens). If you like macro photography, then short/medium/long telephoto macro lens will be the obvious choice. You might need external flashlight as well if your subject are insects.

civic98 wrote: Anyway need some advice, I'm looking towards another lens, 3 choices overall, but budget at the moment allows for one only. Here they are:-

1. 50mm 1.8 (the only one that budget permits at the moment)
I'm not really sure on getting this, I was made known it's good for potraits and similar, what other good does it do that my 17-85 can't (with enough lighting)?

2. Macro lens (this is a little high on the budget, assure you it's on top of my want list if $$ permits)
But having thoughts should I get a dedicated macro lens or a telephoto/macro lens?

3. Telephoto Zoom (looking at a second hand 55-250IS, cheapest around)
I always thought I will need a longer zoom, should I just get this (which I know will not be enough later) or just wait till I have a higher budget and get a... geez I don't even dare to say it.. "L" lens..

silversider
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: 60CSx

#300 Post by silversider » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:41 pm

Beautifully capture bro darthobiguan. Never realised you're already a family man. Congratulation! Love the first photo, stunning smile! :thumbsup: