Camping around KL

Hamsters, geocachers, hikers, bikers, 4WD kakis, aviationist, fishing fans, scrambler fans, kitesurfers and more .. come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

bigrr63
GPS: nüvi 360

Camping around KL

#1 Post by bigrr63 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:50 pm

Hi all,
I'm from the US living and working here in KL. I got the Malsingmap for my garmin 360 before I cam and it's been a Godsend helping me drive here....SO THANKS to all!!!

I am trying to learn to contribute to really say thanks and hope to be able to soon!

I'm an avid camper (even shipped camping gear here from US) I've googled camping here but haven't found much, does anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks again
Steve

sarawakguy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: GPSMap 76Cx, Garmin 10x, Palm Tx, Nokia E71, Nokia 9300

Re: Camping around KL

#2 Post by sarawakguy » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:51 pm

bigrr63 wrote:Hi all,
I'm from the US living and working here in KL. I got the Malsingmap for my garmin 360 before I cam and it's been a Godsend helping me drive here....SO THANKS to all!!!

I am trying to learn to contribute to really say thanks and hope to be able to soon!

I'm an avid camper (even shipped camping gear here from US) I've googled camping here but haven't found much, does anyone have some suggestions?

Thanks again
Steve
Hi Steve,

Come over to Sarawak, we are known to live on tree tops & head chopping to get a mate...

Seriously, we have lots of eco-tourism parks for camping. If you are interested, I can recommend you a good adventure from a fellow mapper/contributor of MSM, Mister Borneo4x4.

cwyap
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin GPSMapper 60CSx + Garmin eTrex H + I-Blue 737 Bluetooth GPSr + Columbus V-900 Bluetooth GPSr

#3 Post by cwyap » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:40 am

Hello bigrr63,

There are quite a number of places at the outskirt of Kuala Lumpur suitable for camping. Here are a few:-
1. Hutan Lipur Sungai Chongkak, Ulu Langat (N3 12.598 E101 50.593) [campsites provided, fees payable]
2. vicinity of Sg Lepok waterfall (N3 15.030 E101 51.940) [campsite approx. 3km walk from carpark]
3. vicinity of Jeram Perlus waterfall (N3 12.017 E101 55.395) [campsite approx. 7km walk from carpark]
4. Hutan Lipur Sungai Tua (N3 20.118 E101 42.238 - all along this section) [campsites provided, fees payable]
5. nearby Alang Sedayu & Rebutia Camp, Ulu Gombak (N3 18.476 E101 44.037)

If you don't mind roughing it out, i.e. no campsite proper and toilet/washroom, and prefer near pristine environment - go for location #3. I went there before for a day trip and it was fabulous though the leeches will suck you dry :lol: (my personal record there - 20 bloody leeches). My pal (also from MSM) and I were supposed to go there for an overnite camp but this has been postponed to a later date (not sure when yet).

If you are interested, you are most welcomed to join us for one of our day hikes. There is one tentatively planned for 2 January 2010 (Sat) - to explore beyond Zone 7 of Hutan Lipur Sungai Chongkak. Also in the pipeline is the overnight stay at Jeram Perlus (however, we are going light meaning no tent and all the luxuries associated with comfort; instead it will be lean-to as shelter and using whatever Mother Nature is offering to cook our meals and boil water though we will bring along mess tin as back-up :mrgreen: ).
Courage is not living without fear.
Courage is being scared to death and doing the right thing anyway.
- Chae Richardson

bigrr63
GPS: nüvi 360

#4 Post by bigrr63 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:55 am

Hey Thanks ya'll I appreciate the suggestions! I am looking forward to getting out! And in the future getting back into off roading!