DSLR - Choosing A Camera

Hamsters, geocachers, hikers, bikers, 4WD kakis, aviationist, fishing fans, scrambler fans, kitesurfers and more .. come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

Message
Author
jasonlee
Senior Mapper
Posts: 2075
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:44 pm
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Contact:

Re: DSLR - Choosing A Camera

#31 Post by jasonlee » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:36 am

moeyHC wrote:At last, I got my hands on the brand new Nikon D7000 at Lam Loong Photo House, Gurney plaza. The quoted price is Body @RM4K and with Kit 18-105mm Lens @RM4.6K (with bag and 8Gb SD card).

The grip and feel are no better than the D90 or the Canon 550D. Is it a little small and uncomfortable for my hand. Unfortunately no demo unit and no shot taken. I took the chance to explore the D300s that has much better in grip and feel. But @RM4700 for body it can be painful. Will make a decision soon... but still like to shoot a few shots with the D7000 to see the results....as for now the D300s looks so good... :$gone:
Dear Bro Moey,

If you intend to use Nikkor lenses, then there is no issue but I read in a Nikon Forum that many of the Sigma lenses will not work with the D7000. Just in case that is what you are thinking of doing. :$gone:
Lean not on your own understanding

User avatar
moeyHC
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1348
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:00 am
GPS: Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575, Papaga N1, iGo, 5800, M1200, M1000B/C
Location: Penang
Contact:

Re: DSLR - Choosing A Camera

#32 Post by moeyHC » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:27 pm

At Last My New Toy is with me..... the Nikon D7000 with kit.....
D7000_2.JPG
D7000_3.JPG
@RM4600.00 and comes with 8Gb SDHC card, Bag and 1+2 years warranty at the Professional Camera Fest in Gurney Plaza last weekend.

p/s:- these pictures taken with my Nokia 5800 Xpress Music cell phone.... not bad...

Bro Jason, I don't intend to buy any lens now... not until my kids learn how to take good photographs. By then, there will be compatible lenses.... hopefully [-o< .... otherwise they'll have to break their piggy bank for it.... :mrgreen: Most compatible Lenses do not have VR (vibration reduction) making them less of an appeal for beginners.

Thanks to all for helping me choose this camera... :tq:
MSM Glossary/Index - viewtopic.php?p=57986#p57986

User avatar
miezarnd
Senior Mapper
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:24 am
GPS: Yang dalam kereta punya
https://goo.gl/XBdH3k
Location: Puncak Alam, SEL
Contact:

Re: DSLR - Choosing A Camera

#33 Post by miezarnd » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:59 am

Hi,

Does anyone own Sony SLT-A55VL. Just wanna know the experience when using this camera with GPS enable.
99916.jpeg
Sony SLT-A55VL
I'm having trouble getting satellite lock when my car moving above ± 70 kmph even though the device was loaded with GPS data assist. But when stationary, the satellite lock is decent which less than 2 minutes.

So, when during capturing POIs while on the move, I just get the initial GPS lock to synchronize the camera clock with satellite clock (same as GPS clock) and then switch off the GPS to preserve battery consumption. Then the image synchronized with tracklog using Geosetter (thanks to Abang Noah)

Regards,
Temerloh - Sekinchan - Sg. Puyu = 7
2575LM / 3790 / 4592LM / GPSMAP 64s / Montana 650
Jalan-jalan cari makan

lost4ever
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: Nuvi 370 & 765
Location: Southern Singapore
Contact:

Re: DSLR - Choosing A Camera

#34 Post by lost4ever » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:04 am

moeyHC wrote:At Last My New Toy is with me..... the Nikon D7000 with kit.....
D7000_2.JPG
D7000_3.JPG
@RM4600.00 and comes with 8Gb SDHC card, Bag and 1+2 years warranty at the Professional Camera Fest in Gurney Plaza last weekend.

p/s:- these pictures taken with my Nokia 5800 Xpress Music cell phone.... not bad...

Bro Jason, I don't intend to buy any lens now... not until my kids learn how to take good photographs. By then, there will be compatible lenses.... hopefully [-o< .... otherwise they'll have to break their piggy bank for it.... :mrgreen: Most compatible Lenses do not have VR (vibration reduction) making them less of an appeal for beginners.

Thanks to all for helping me choose this camera... :tq:
This is one nice camera, Moey, fantastic performance. I am a Canon man however, with too much lens invested to be able to convert anytime soon.
Citius Altius Fortius

User avatar
SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 4925
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:54 pm
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra
Contact:

Re: DSLR - Choosing A Camera

#35 Post by SilverBeauty » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:38 am

lost4ever wrote:This is one nice camera, Moey, fantastic performance. I am a Canon man however, with too much lens invested to be able to convert anytime soon.
:lol: the battle of the nikkos vs the cannos :lol:

User avatar
adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner
Posts: 724
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Contact:

Re: DSLR - Choosing A Camera

#36 Post by adilothman » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:24 pm

Haven't posted in this thread yet .. I am a Canonite myself .. like Redstorm and Zeus. I have been buying Canon since .. as long as I can remember although my first digicam was the 1.3MP Minolta.

Mijan, you have to ask yourself, you want the camera first and foremost or do you want the GPS function of the camera? If camera is more important, the choices of good cams are even more. I always prefer the tracks of a proper GPS receiver myself but it is a bother to tag the pictures by software ..
Malsingmaps is now an official partner of Garmin to produce maps for MY, SG & Brunei.

User avatar
miezarnd
Senior Mapper
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:24 am
GPS: Yang dalam kereta punya
https://goo.gl/XBdH3k
Location: Puncak Alam, SEL
Contact:

Re: DSLR - Choosing A Camera

#37 Post by miezarnd » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:53 pm

adilothman wrote:Mijan, you have to ask yourself, you want the camera first and foremost or do you want the GPS function of the camera? If camera is more important, the choices of good cams are even more. I always prefer the tracks of a proper GPS receiver myself but it is a bother to tag the pictures by software ..
Bought A55 is bcoz of it's GPS functions. Using geo-tagging or sync camera time with satellite time for use with geosetter & GPS tracklog. But now, will just use it for taking pictures only.. not POI :-'
Temerloh - Sekinchan - Sg. Puyu = 7
2575LM / 3790 / 4592LM / GPSMAP 64s / Montana 650
Jalan-jalan cari makan

lost4ever
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: Nuvi 370 & 765
Location: Southern Singapore
Contact:

Re: DSLR - Choosing A Camera

#38 Post by lost4ever » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:33 pm

SilverBeauty wrote: :lol: the battle of the nikkos vs the cannos :lol:

Equipment is just equipment lah. It is what you do with it! :thumbsup: :muak:
Citius Altius Fortius

User avatar
SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 4925
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:54 pm
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra
Contact:

Re: DSLR - Choosing A Camera

#39 Post by SilverBeauty » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:48 am

lost4ever wrote:
SilverBeauty wrote: :lol: the battle of the nikkos vs the cannos :lol:

Equipment is just equipment lah. It is what you do with it! :thumbsup: :muak:

Agreed ... a bad carpenter always blames his tools ... :-'

I myself is none of the mentioned ..... am a Panos user ( prosumer P&S Panasonic LX series ) .. quite happy with results :mrgreen:

User avatar
moeyHC
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1348
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:00 am
GPS: Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575, Papaga N1, iGo, 5800, M1200, M1000B/C
Location: Penang
Contact:

Re: DSLR - Choosing A Camera

#40 Post by moeyHC » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:57 pm

lost4ever wrote: This is one nice camera, Moey, fantastic performance. I am a Canon man however, with too much lens invested to be able to convert anytime soon.
I have to agree that this is a nice camera. The battery seems to last forever even in freezing temperature... and its low light capabilities is great... Cheers!
MSM Glossary/Index - viewtopic.php?p=57986#p57986

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests