Planted Aquarium kaki

Hamsters, geocachers, hikers, bikers, 4WD kakis, aviationist, fishing fans, scrambler fans, kitesurfers and more .. come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

bernGPS
Senior Mapper
GPS: Garmin 10x, GPSmap78s (now become a lemon) & etrex Vista HCx

Re: Planted Aquarium kaki

#41 Post by bernGPS » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:46 am

LLCC wrote:Plecos actually like a diet of fish food, and wood. Only when badly starved will it go after the diatoms and perhaps young, tender broad leafed plants. I feed my plecos with Hikari brand sinking pleco wafers and I have a piece of driftwood for it to chew on. Your plecos died not because of BBA. It could be due to poor acclimatisation, or high nitrogenous products in the water that did them in.
Hmm. Conned by the Aquarium shop
LLCC wrote:If yours is a powerhead filter, then you should ensure that you reduce surface agitation (unless you see fish gasping at the surface) as surface agitation causes CO2 to be exchanged and outgassed. An airstone literally increases the surface area of the water as each tiny bubble has its own surface area for gas exchange. Airpumps and live plants mix poorly.
There is no airstone. So no issue with excessive bubbles.
LLCC wrote:However, in tank powerhead filters are notoriously inadequate to do the job they are rated to do. They may have the water flow capacity suitable for your tank, but they have grossly insufficient biological filtrate area to match that capacity. Result is ammonia/nitrite in the tank that kills fish. Get yourself an Ammonia (NH3) and a Nitrite (NO2) testkit to test your water, especially 1 hour after feeding. You should not register any trace of either compounds. Failing which, you have found the cause of your Pleco killer.
Hmm. I will read more about the biological filtrate. Could be the cause of the death.
LLCC wrote:CO2 tablets do more to upset your gas level than it is meant to assist. I'd just cut the lighting level and duration to 8 hours daily via an automatic timer. Keep surface agitation to a minimum, and your soil (if old) will generate the CO2 your plants need. Do not remove your lights unless the tank gets a bright indirect sunlight (eg siting it at a window). Plants can't live without lights.
Lights are needed and I will take note of putting in a timer.
LLCC wrote: Yes the plant with long tape like leaves. There are several varieties, Blyxa and Vallisnera both look the same to an untrained eye, but are different plants altogether. Good news is that these are undemanding, fast-growing plants. Even better news are that these are cheap plants (cost $1 a pot here in Singapore) and are common. Best news is that these plants are local to SE Asia, so you can find them freely in streams and lakes.
Yes, they use to be available abundantly in the streams and drains but sadly most have disappeared due to the earth drain being repleced with concrete drains.

LLCC
GPS: Magellan Sportrek pro, Garmin 76CSx

#42 Post by LLCC » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:55 am

bernGPS wrote:Yes, they use to be available abundantly in the streams and drains but sadly most have disappeared due to the earth drain being repleced with concrete drains.
Seems like it's happening there too eh? Another chap wrote to me from BSB Brunei to bemoan the same fate. Perhaps you want to take a trip further afield from the city. Borneo is one of the great centers where Cryptocoryne plants are collected from the muddy streams.

They take almost no effort to grow (if you get it right), and some are trading at as much as S$50 a stalk!

LL
Lawrence Lee

bernGPS
Senior Mapper

#43 Post by bernGPS » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:06 pm

LLCC wrote: Seems like it's happening there too eh? Another chap wrote to me from BSB Brunei to bemoan the same fate. Perhaps you want to take a trip further afield from the city. Borneo is one of the great centers where Cryptocoryne plants are collected from the muddy streams.

They take almost no effort to grow (if you get it right), and some are trading at as much as S$50 a stalk!

LL
Hmmm. Maybe I should just grow and export them hehe.

The green coloured one that the fishes are feasting on (partly circled red) is aplenty in a drain nearby but they would be all gone in 2 weeks with only the stalk remaining after I planted them. Would that be the Egeria densa?
Attachments
mini-IMGP3087.JPG
mini-IMGP3087.JPG (56.54 KiB) Viewed 2460 times

LLCC

#44 Post by LLCC » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:51 am

bernGPS wrote:
Hmmm. Maybe I should just grow and export them hehe.

The green coloured one that the fishes are feasting on (partly circled red) is plenty in a drain nearby but they would be all gone in 2 weeks with only the stalk remaining after I planted them. Would that be the Egeria densa?
Correct. Sometimes also called Elodea. With bright lights, they grow quickly. They need not be planted in the soil to thrive - that means you can use that for preparing your tank till the plants in the soil take root and start to grow. Then you can fish the floaters out without upsetting the others you planted.

LL
Lawrence Lee

LLCC

#45 Post by LLCC » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:58 am

If you are collecting plants from the wild, do take precautions against pesticides (soak in clean water for a week, replacing the water completely every day) and pathogens (give the plants a salt or potassium permanganate bath when you first take them in, and one last round for good measure, before you drop them in your tank even if you do not see any snails or other undesirables in the water you soak them in. But if you do see snails etc, you should apply the soak every 2 days till they're gone).

Your clean water should not be tap water. Instead, siphon some water from your tank for this soak.
Lawrence Lee

bernGPS
Senior Mapper

#46 Post by bernGPS » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:20 pm

Thanks for reminding concerning the use of the potassium promaganate. Will keep that in mind.

nilanthika
GPS: singappore

#47 Post by nilanthika » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:29 pm

You can find in a large shops like big city. My idea is to find plant in natural resouce site like forest, rivers. That may be a good idea.
------------------
Chandani
Aquarium supplies

nilanthika
GPS: singappore

#48 Post by nilanthika » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:33 pm

May I get a reply.
-------
Chan
Social Media Markting

bernGPS
Senior Mapper

#49 Post by bernGPS » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:15 pm

nilanthika wrote:You can find in a large shops like big city. My idea is to find plant in natural resouce site like forest, rivers. That may be a good idea.
------------------
Chandani
Aquarium supplies
Hmmm. Need to organise a trip to the jungle I suppose. Havent done that for ages.

LLCC

#50 Post by LLCC » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:54 pm

How's your planted tank coming along Bern?

LL
Lawrence Lee