Young lady lost for 19 days in jungle, found

Hamsters, geocachers, hikers, bikers, 4WD kakis, aviationist, fishing fans, scrambler fans, kitesurfers and more .. come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

naim
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum
GPS: Samsung Note 2 :D

Re: Young lady lost for 19 days in jungle, found

#41 Post by naim » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:28 pm

kplastik wrote: A lesson to be learnt here is that, when hiking, never lose sight of fellow member. Jungle trekking is not a race to prove one's fitness. One may be injured or got lost without anyone knowing.
I just got back from a trek up volcano Marapi (2891m) in Sumatra Barat. It was horrendous due to condition of trail in (unseasonal) heavy rain. Story will appear later.
Pls visit my travel pictorials at http://naim.my

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#42 Post by cruiser » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:41 pm

:welcome: back Bro Naim... good to know your trip was overcome and you are safely back... :thumbsup:

Looking forward to your captions too...
\:D/
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

abdhadie
GPS: Etrex Legend CX

#43 Post by abdhadie » Fri May 30, 2008 11:31 pm

Brothers,

I'm using Garmin Etrex LegendCx, do this device can receive satellite signal in thick jungle?

Maybe I need a compass + map for backup.
Thanks
9W2HDE

naim
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum

#44 Post by naim » Sat May 31, 2008 1:13 am

abdhadie wrote:Brothers,

I'm using Garmin Etrex LegendCx, do this device can receive satellite signal in thick jungle?

Maybe I need a compass + map for backup.
From my experience in the jungles of Fraser's Hill, Ulu Dong, and Sungkai, and elsewhere, very intermittently (signal only good when foliage is broken). Not advisable to use it as your sole guide. :mrgreen:

scyap
Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi 760; 765 & 2465; 2576LM

#45 Post by scyap » Sat May 31, 2008 9:37 am

Hi,

So far I have found that the Garmin 60Csx and the Etrex Vista Hcx can receive signals well under thick foliage. Have always had a lock on during the various treks in the jungles.

It is note-worthy that the Garmin's 'On-the-Trails' gps units are the ones that are suitable as they are 'water-proof', easily handled, use AA size batteries which can also share with my torch-light and in the units mentioned above, they have a compass which makes orientating very convenient without having to move some metres in one direction (probably into some thick belukar or pokok.

Cheers.

jans_wkh
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: n95+gmxt, vista hcx

#46 Post by jans_wkh » Sat May 31, 2008 4:16 pm

naim wrote:
From my experience in the jungles of Fraser's Hill, Ulu Dong, and Sungkai, and elsewhere, very intermittently (signal only good when foliage is broken). Not advisable to use it as your sole guide. :mrgreen:
hi naim, mind sharing which device you are using where you don't get signals at all? I am reading contradicting experiences here with some saying they never lost a gps fix and some saying they can't even get a decent lock. Thanks.

naim
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum

#47 Post by naim » Sat May 31, 2008 4:49 pm

jans_wkh wrote: hi naim, mind sharing which device you are using where you don't get signals at all? I am reading contradicting experiences here with some saying they never lost a gps fix and some saying they can't even get a decent lock. Thanks.
Have used Legend and Holux GPSlim units. A friend said his Magellan had good lock in the forest. Anyway getting lost in the (tropical) jungle is a matter of life & death, so never gamble on a GPS receiver. Anything can happen to a gadget.

Once I was at Fraser's Hill when a bunch of ppl got lost. Search & rescue was mounted (not just police and local authorities, but every able body took part), and ppl were cursing the lost trekkers for being such idiots, and not following basic precautions. One of the volunteer-searchers broke his leg in a fall, and he was very upset. So even if you survive getting lost, I can tell you when you are rescued, you have a very dented image. So get a trained guide while contributing to local economy, and save a lot of ppl a lot of trouble, and the embarassment too. :)

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#48 Post by cruiser » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:02 am

Thats absolutely right & spot on with Bro Naim's statement and I personally have little regard nor praise for those who set out on expeditionary thrills & adventure with little consideration and attitude in 1st securing ALL the necessary precautions that goes with it... one of which is a FULL Insurance cover and accompanied by Police permission plus costs incurred in engaging skilled guides...

They usually seek fame & egocentric thrills but when something foolish results in a mishap, an avoidable one esp., then I would rather the local energy & rescue resources be devoted to much more domestic and pressing needs where victims are VICTIMS not by deliberate & ignorant, careless making... [-(
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

tapahman
GPS: Geko 201

#49 Post by tapahman » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:52 am

its very important as someone pointed out earlier regarding the Headcount concept.
Its very simple, you just shout out loud from the front until the very last member of yor trip. If the number decreases there are somebody missing, if the number increases, then you got problem also..the 'locals' hehhe.. :wink:

ive used the GPS only recently, and throughout my hiking expedition, the most important aspect is the guide itself. No guide no trek.

joeadnan
GPS: Garmin 60CSx, Garmin 60C, GPS12, dead GPS38

#50 Post by joeadnan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:40 pm

Just like to add my dua sen's worth and to echo the views of scyap. The new Garmin units with the SurfStar III chips and later are quite reliable even under thick tree cover. I have a 60CSx, which keeps lock in situations where my old 60C would not have acquired.

I've been using GPSs for my outdoor stuff for slightly over 10 years now, and these new units are just the ticket for hiking and biking. Naim, you should borrow one to try out.