Digital TV in the Klang Valley

Hamsters, geocachers, hikers, bikers, 4WD kakis, aviationist, fishing fans, scrambler fans, kitesurfers and more .. come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

naim
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum
GPS: Samsung Note 2 :D

Digital TV in the Klang Valley

#1 Post by naim » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:31 pm

Another hobby of mine - digital TV. :D

So when I stumbled upon this little USB stick with the familiar DVB logo at Lowyat, I had to bite.

Malaysia is adopting the DVB-T standards, maybe this year the digital broadcast would be officially launched. Currently it's Standard Definition, but I believe High Definition trial channels would be up this year too.

Only RTM is doing the tests, but other TV stations will soon follow. The configuration below shows all available digital TV & radio channels in the Klang Valley now, broadcasting on the 658MHz band.

There're 12 channels - 5 TV and 7 radio. All from current RTM offerings, except for 3 new TV channels: RTMi (interactive channel), Musik Aktif (music vids), Arena (sports).

The video is pretty good, considering SD, and the digital stereo audio is excellent. Can't wait to see HD soon. :)
Pls visit my travel pictorials at http://naim.my

cassy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Garmin 76CS, Nuvi310, Ipag2210/BTGPS

Re: Digital TV in the Klang Valley

#2 Post by cassy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:36 pm

Thxs for the heads-up. Care to share your setup, hardware requirement & cost of the product?

Cheers

moeyHC
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575, Papaga N1, iGo, 5800, M1200, M1000B/C

#3 Post by moeyHC » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:37 pm

Thanks for sharing Bro naim.

Is it setup like a receiver on your PC? Care to share the price? The picture quality looks good.
MSM Glossary/Index - viewtopic.php?p=57986#p57986

naim
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum

#4 Post by naim » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:50 pm

The USB stick costs RM150 (China mali, where else?). Installation on PC is a breeze. With a good antenna, you're in business in no time. Handy if you carry a laptop around. If bored, just plug the stick in, set up antenna, and you are soon watching/listening to the digital channels, wherever you are in the Klang Valley. :mrgreen:

ajay
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: PAPAGO M9; nuvi 205W

#5 Post by ajay » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:51 pm

moeyHC wrote:Thanks for sharing Bro naim.

Is it setup like a receiver on your PC? Care to share the price? The picture quality looks good.
not bad! good info =D> ..yeah i want to know the price also. how about signal coverage?
ask not (just) what malsingmaps can do for you
ask what you can do for malsingmaps (also)

sentravip
Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi 200

#6 Post by sentravip » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:01 pm

How's the reception when moving around, like in a car? Izit directional, like the current antenna?

naim
Great Travel Bum
Great Travel Bum

#7 Post by naim » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:12 pm

sentravip wrote:How's the reception when moving around, like in a car? Izit directional, like the current antenna?
Dunno la, bro. I'm sitting in my bedroom in Shah Alam mucking with the thing. :)

If you can receive normal TV (UHF) in a car, then I see no prob, as long as the antenna is good. Omni (pole) antenna is ok. In fact the USB comes with a cute antenna - see my first pic above. Would be fun to stick it to the car rooftop (it has a magnetic base - hence you see in my pic, the antenna is stuck to a spoilt HDD).

sunn
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: HP6515, HP4150+GSpace BT Gpsr, Etrex Legend Hcx, Omnia SGH-i900

#8 Post by sunn » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:19 pm

Interesting....bro naim, tks.
May I know which shop in Lowyat holding this DVB Receiver?
- sunn -

sentravip
Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi 200

#9 Post by sentravip » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:32 pm

naim wrote:
sentravip wrote:How's the reception when moving around, like in a car? Izit directional, like the current antenna?
Dunno la, bro. I'm sitting in my bedroom in Shah Alam mucking with the thing. :)

If you can receive normal TV (UHF) in a car, then I see no prob, as long as the antenna is good. Omni (pole) antenna is ok. In fact the USB comes with a cute antenna - see my first pic above. Would be fun to stick it to the car rooftop (it has a magnetic base - hence you see in my pic, the antenna is stuck to a spoilt HDD).
Well, that's the problem, usual UHF antenna reception is blurry at it's best when moving. But when stationary (depending on the direction you park), it's doable.

From the looks of your antenna, it's non directional... that' s why I ask. :-k

It'll be good for ICE

darthobiguan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 610, E71 + GPS10x + Symbian GMXT + NRoute + Nokia Suports Tracker + GMPC

#10 Post by darthobiguan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:44 pm

sentravip wrote: Well, that's the problem, usual UHF antenna reception is blurry at it's best when moving. But when stationary (depending on the direction you park), it's doable.
It is digital. Unlike analog, it wil not get blurry. When moving, some objects might be blocking from time to time. The worse will be that a few frames will be lost and thus, the picture will be jerky and scrambled.