Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:27 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:17 pm 
Elite
Elite

GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.
FrancisTLim wrote:
In fact, I plan to set it to 0.5W rather than 5W. This is a walkie talkie and we usually hold it near our faces and brains. Can you imagine a 5W mini microwave oven frying our brains? Yeah, that is really what it is.

....to prevent frying of our brains!! :fire: :fire:

Well, that is my opinion anyway. O:)

The models we are now getting here allows or has a separate mic & headphone port so you have no fear of pressing that darn unit against yr ear-lobes... better look up for those models instead.

Like mobile phones too... I personally loath being seen talking away in public pressing a Hp to my head, I use a discrete size and smart looking design Jabra 2020 resulting from its BT access. \:D/
That will be the day when BT is an added feature too for W/Tkies. :mrgreen:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:37 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

GPS: PAPAGO M9; nuvi 205W
who knows later study will find that the bluetooth wave can cause your brain to turn "blue" or something :)

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:35 pm 
Elite
Elite

GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.
...aaand who knows what results from feeling BLUE... we have our Blauwe Smurfen thru Vader Abraham... :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:42 pm 

GPS: don't know
thank you all for ur reply..

in that case i can conclude that the walkie talkies that hit the 5W output range

IS NOT LEGAL! am i correct? because as i have seen in most models be it kenwood or other models the max it goes to as said by francis as well, goes up to oni 470Mhz.

which means our govt by law has disallowed walkie talkie of 5W to be used since the band that they allow do not fall within the range of the walkie talkie being sold..

am i correct? so in this case, then how come there are still sales on 5W walkie talkie still allowed? i'm not questioning it cuz i also really want to buy and i just want to know later if i do found in possesion of one, am i liable to be charged since it's against the law and things like that.

then what about those ppl who have owned one? now since u all said it, i'm pretty scared myself to get a Clonewood from jalan pasar.

pls advice. and how to escape detection if u have one? thanks.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:24 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

GPS: PAPAGO M9; nuvi 205W
i don't worry that much. i'm sure if the authority is pushing it they will inform early first coz it's so widespread now. & like other illegal stuff they should stop the sales first before coming to the users

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:50 am 
Regular
Regular

GPS: 60CS
ryanwan wrote:
thank you all for ur reply..

in that case i can conclude that the walkie talkies that hit the 5W output range

IS NOT LEGAL! am i correct? because as i have seen in most models be it kenwood or other models the max it goes to as said by francis as well, goes up to oni 470Mhz.

which means our govt by law has disallowed walkie talkie of 5W to be used since the band that they allow do not fall within the range of the walkie talkie being sold..

am i correct? so in this case, then how come there are still sales on 5W walkie talkie still allowed? i'm not questioning it cuz i also really want to buy and i just want to know later if i do found in possesion of one, am i liable to be charged since it's against the law and things like that.

then what about those ppl who have owned one? now since u all said it, i'm pretty scared myself to get a Clonewood from jalan pasar.

pls advice. and how to escape detection if u have one? thanks.

Heh heh!! The 5W and the band (470MHz) are not related. The band limit (ie. 470MHz) is purely because that particular model was designed that way. It was designed to cover only up to 470MHz. It is not because of the 5W capability.

Yeah, the legal power limit for the Malaysian 477.xxx MHz licence-free band is half W (ie. 0.5W), so you are right that 5W is not legal for this case.

Talking about legal... well, GMRS is also not legal for use in Malaysia but people still use it... so I don't know what to say. Similarly in Singapore. GMRS is also not legal there too, but people there also use it.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 1:51 am 
Elite
Elite

The fact these days are not so much about possession of illegal contrabands or stocking hardware goods that almost all yr neighbors are also happily owning & using blatantly and un-shamefully in public....BUT, DON't ask and you won't be accused let alone wake up by the bad "tanchiak" dude waiting to prove his service record to the State. :evil:

Things can be lax and tolerated but the law on illegal possession on things deemed as illegal stands... and its a cat & mouse game on such small items but can become a stigma of embarrassment when YOU ARE singled out to face the fine or consequences when they decide to knock on your door one fine day.... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:14 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Trimble Ensign.Foretrex 101/401.Etrex H/Vista HCx.Nuvi 255W/205.NOKIA E72.iPad 64GB 3G.
What do you guys think of the Yaesu VX-177? For use with the plain-vanilla export set FRS/GMRS radios commonly found on Yahoo Auctions and eBay.

http://172.31.254.243/www.yaesu.comm/Pr ... _thumb.jpg

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=E82F2B10BB77B242EB1DE6D5C2EBA63B&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

BR,
w a y

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:11 am 
Elite
Elite

It sure looks like a good prospect to consider procuring.... :-k

Image Image

Quote:
YAESU VX-177

The VX-177 is an ultra-rugged 5-Watt 430 MHz hand-held ideal for use in the most demanding applications. Featuring big receiver audio (almost 3/4 of a Watt!) and long battery life, the VX-177 is protected against water ingress to IPX7 specifications (immersion in 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes).

The VX-177 utilizes a 16-key pad for frequency and DTMF entry, as well as a wide variety of command functions.

200 Memory Channels
The VX-177 includes provision for storage of up to 200 memories, which may be allocated into as many as ten Memory Banks. Alpha/Numeric Labeling (up to six characters) of memories is also provided.

Wide Receiver Coverage
The VX-177 covers 409-470 MHz (U.S. version), so you can monitor commercial and government transmissions adjacent to the Amateur band.

Long Battery Life
The supplied FNB-83 Ni-MH Battery has a capacity of 1400 mAh for hours of operation after other radios have shut down with dead batteries.

Big Receiver Audio Output
The oversized internal speaker produces 700 mW of crisp, clean audio power, allowing you to hear important incoming transmissions even in noisy public service or emergency operations.

CTCSS and DCS Included
The VX-177 includes full-featured CTCSS and DCS (Digital Code Squelch) tone control systems, for easy repeater access and/or silent monitoring of busy channels. "Split Tone" mode allows you to encode CTCSS and decode DCS, or vice-versa. And a "Reverse Tone" mode may also be engaged, to silence your radio's receiver when a matching CTCSS tone is received (to avoid the annoyance caused by interference from a distant repeater during times of enhanced propagation).

And much, much more. . .

•Huge LCD Display with Yaesu's exclusive Omni-Glow™ illumination

•RF Squelch

•Direct Keypad Frequency Entry

•Security Password

•Transmit Time-Out Timer (TOT) Automatic Power Off (APO) Automatic Repeater Shift (ARS)

•ARTS™ (Auto-Range Transponder System)

•Emergency Automatic ID (EAI) "Man Down" feature for Search-and-Rescue work Smart Search™

•Dual Watch

Box include.

VX-177 , Antenna,Engish Manual, Warranty card,FNB-83 1400Mah battery , Wall charger

GENERAL VX-177 Specifications

Frequency Range Receive:
409-470 MHz
Frequency Range Transmit:
409-470 MHz
Channel Steps:
5/10/12.5/15/20/25/50 & 100 kHz
Standard Repeater Shift:
±600 kHz
Emission Type:
F2, F3
Supply Voltage:
7.2 VDC
Current Consumption:
125 mA (Receive)
8 mA (Auto Power Off)
1500mA (5W)
Case Size:
2.36" (W) x 4.72" (H) x 1.26" (D)
Weight:
13.8 oz 390 g. (with antenna & battery)
RECEIVER
Circuit Type:
Double-conversion superheterodyne
Sensitivity (12dB SINAD):
Better than 0.16uV
Adjacent Channel Selectivity:
Better than 70 dB
Intermediate Frequencies:
First: 21.7 MHz. Second: 450 kHz.
Intermodulation:
Better than 70 dB
AF Output:
0.7W @ 16 Ohms for 10% THD (@ 7.5 V)

TRANSMITTER
RF Power Output:
5/2/0.5W (@ 7.2 V DC)
Frequency Stability:
Better than ±5 ppm
Modulation Type:
Variable Reactance F2D, F3E
Maximum Deviation:
±5 kHz
Spurious Emission:
Better than 60 dB below carrier (at high and medium power)
Audio Distortion:
Less than _% (@1 kHz, w/3 kHz deviation)
Microphone Impedance:
2 k Ohm Condenser

Specifications are subject to change without notice, and are guaranteed within amateur bands only.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:33 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Trimble Ensign.Foretrex 101/401.Etrex H/Vista HCx.Nuvi 255W/205.NOKIA E72.iPad 64GB 3G.
Image Image

Just popped by Sim Lim Tower this evening to have a look at it... What a hefty piece of kit! I LIKE IT! :wink:

BR,
w a y

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next