Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:11 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:26 am 

GPS: Garmin Zumo 550
guys jus check with u all. Is this a gd set. am considering a set my bike touring purpose. is it legal in singapore and can it be shipped into singapore?

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/42k-MIDLAND-GXT8 ... dZViewItem

04th Jul 2006 - Till Nw (Suzuki K2, Vespa PX200 & Skipper)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:57 am 
Elite
Elite

GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.
Murphyz wrote:
guys jus check with u all. Is this a gd set. am considering a set my bike touring purpose. is it legal in singapore and can it be shipped into singapore?

I guess you did take into account that while at least one hand is on the handle bar, you can only use the other on the Midland... even if you had the unit with plug-in headphone/mic... I would think that is crazy & risky if one doesn't stop alongside the road but that is going to be troublesome by then and riding fun sure gone amiss etc... :-k

Anyway, to each his own and this was what I came across, for an alternate choice nonetheless... check it out... :mrgreen:

Quote:

New 2 Midland GXT710-VP3 26-Mile Walkie Talkie Radios

Manufacturer Part # GXT710VP3 = US $31.00

26-mile range
• 22 channels
7 frs/gmrs, 7 frs, 8 gmrs
• 121 privacy codes for up to 2662 channel options
• NOAA weather alert radio provides constant noaa weather information
• 5 call-alert tones
Backlit display for easy nighttime viewing
• eVox–3 sensitivity levels for easy voice activation & no need for a microphone
• Channel scan automatically checks channels for activity
Vibrate alert provides silent page & call notification
• Auto squelch
Hi/med/lo power settings to transmit power & conserve battery life
Silent operation
• Keypad lock locks-in selected settings
Monitor checks for any activity within channel
• Water resistant
• Audible keystroke tones
Mic & headphone jacks for speaker mic & headphones
• Battery life extender
• Drop-in charger
• Requires 4 aa batteries or included rechargeable batteries
# Includes

o 2 GXT 710 radio
o 2 rechargeable NiMH battery packs,
o 1-dual-slot desktop charger,
o AC Adapter

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:48 pm 
Regular
Regular

GPS: 60CS
Murphyz wrote:

This is not legal in Singapore because it is a GMRS set, but then GMRS sets are sold all over the place in Singapore, and also used by many people in Singapore.

I think the price is very expensive (GBP50). Usually, as a guide, I check the price for that model at Amazon or some online shops in the USA first.

Also, this model is probably sold in Sim Lim Towers and/or Sim Lim Square, so do check there first. If the price difference is small, then no point in going to the trouble of importing the set.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:54 pm 

GPS: don't know
hey guys

that yaesu walkie talkie thing. is it only available in spore? i'm from malaysia so i was wondering whether can i get it here? and it's a 5 W walkie talkie. man it's really powerful. and since it's from china made is it cheap?

thanks fellas..=)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:54 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Trimble Ensign.Foretrex 101/401.Etrex H/Vista HCx.Nuvi 255W/205.NOKIA E72.iPad 64GB 3G.
Not too sure about the Yaesu being available in M'sia or not. But when I looking around at Sim Lim Tower last week, there was an Indonesian couple in one of the shops I was in and man, were they really shopping. One would think they owned a money press or something. But it was obvious they were buying to re-sell as they were getting a few sets of each item.

Btw, I was quoted S$268 for the VX-177; standard package. But I'd have to fill-up and sign some form or something with a photocopy of my identity card, that my purchase was for overseas use or something(not legal for use in Singapore, remember?). Too much risk... :finga:

BR,
w a y

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:16 pm 

GPS: Garmin Zumo 550
cruiser wrote:
[

I guess you did take into account that while at least one hand is on the handle bar, you can only use the other on the Midland... even if you had the unit with plug-in headphone/mic... I would think that is crazy & risky if one doesn't stop alongside the road but that is going to be troublesome by then and riding fun sure gone amiss etc... :-k

Anyway, to each his own and this was what I came across, for an alternate choice nonetheless... check it out... :mrgreen:

Nah riding with walkie talkie is not a issue. i will be using a ear piece. Have use it mani times with no issue at all as we are all using VOX.

04th Jul 2006 - Till Nw (Suzuki K2, Vespa PX200 & Skipper)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:24 am 

GPS: Garmin Mobile 10 MXT
FrancisTLim wrote:
I am starting this thread for anyone who is interested in Walkie-Talkie which is meant for General Public.

That means anyone in the public can buy them. No need for special reason/justification. What I mean is no need for Registered company, or RELA, or Police, or HAM, or Security company, etc.

We can discuss USA systems (GMRS & FRS), Malaysian systems (FRS), Singapore systems, European systems (PMR), or any other such public systems.

In the past few years, I have seen many different models of Walkie Talkies which are on sale in Departmental Stores & Electronics Shops in the USA, Penang, KL & Singapore.

Just wondering if anyone else have interest for such devices. Can discuss here.

Here are some of the more popular brands I have seen.

Aztech
Motorola Talkabout
Uniden
Garmin Rino
Midland Radio
Cobra
Shiro

Hey! Since the forum already got GPS Vendors joining the forum, why not get Radio Vendors to participate too...it will surely benefit forummers! =D>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:15 am 
Regular
Regular

GPS: 60CS
simonyjh2004 wrote:
Hey! Since the forum already got GPS Vendors joining the forum, why not get Radio Vendors to participate too...it will surely benefit forummers! =D>

Haha!! Good observation. I think the answer to your question is, because this is a sensitive topic. Currently, most of the models discussed here are limited to very few licenced users only. Most of them are not legal for use by general public. In fact, most of them (eg. the GMRS models) are not legal for use in Malaysia or Singapore at all!!! Totally illegal.

The only models I have seen in Malaysia which are legal for general public use are made by Aztech, and are on sale in many shops like Carrefour, etc.

The few models I have seen in Singapore which are legal for general public use are made by Aztech, Motorola & Olympia, also on sale in many shops like Challenger, and also HDB neighbourhood shops.

I have seen in other forums where there are threats to report vendors to authorities, etc. so maybe it is better to keep it to just personal experiences in this thread.

Personal experiences are not limited to Malaysia or Singapore. Like for me, most of my walkie talkie experience is when I am on business trips with colleagues in the USA, and when we go on long distance convoys during weekends.

Perhaps you can also share with us your personal experiences here.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:13 am 
Elite
Elite

GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.
Murphyz wrote:
Nah riding with walkie talkie is not a issue. i will be using a ear piece. Have use it mani times with no issue at all as we are all using VOX.

U're right, I'd use them headsets myself. Safer that way too with hands very much free to handle the bars. :thumbsup:

Last edited by cruiser on Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:55 pm 

GPS: Garmin
dear taikors and sifus,

i will be going to sim lim square/tower end of this month to check out some walkie units... i am looking at uniden, midland or motorola... any specific shops recommendations?

many many thanks in advance! :prayer:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 20  Next