Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:00 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:26 pm 
Elite
Elite

GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.
There were discussions on Midland range... try digging up more on this make... not expensive either...all the best!!!

>> I use GlareStomper® Shades >> Daily BCG payouts & I'm also HERE, when not in this Forum

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:00 pm 
Regular
Regular

GPS: 60CS
ganymede wrote:
i will be going to sim lim square/tower end of this month to check out some walkie units... i am looking at uniden, midland or motorola... any specific shops recommendations?

First, do some homework by surfing the sites like Amazon.com & others to check the prices of a few models. Then the main shops selling them are at Sim Lim Tower. The upper 2 floors. There are quite a number of shops selling a very wide range. They display openly, so you can see them. The price in Singapore is usually around double that you find at Amazon. Eg. if the price at Amazon is US$50. Then you just double it to US$100 and then convert to S$ which is about S$145. This is very very rough guide. I have not been looking at the walkie-talkie prices at Sim Lim Tower for quite a long time already, so this may not be true anymore.

I guess, the best way is to identify the model you want, then ask around the different shops to get the best price.

Be careful of three things.

Firstly, you may find a model that looks the same in different shops, but with big difference in price. Look carefully especially behind the pack. It may be that one has rechargeable battery pack and charging cradle, and the other does not. Also, some shops include the 230V-110V converter. Most do not.

Secondly, make sure it has the type of battery you want. Non-standard size rechargeable? AA? AAA? AA Rechargeable? AAA Rechargeable? All have pros and cons.

Thirdly, make sure it uses the standard you want. GMRS/FRS? China standard (eg. T4508)? Singapore standard?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:35 pm 

GPS: Garmin
FrancisTLim wrote:
First, do some homework by surfing the sites like Amazon.com & others to check the prices of a few models. Then the main shops selling them are at Sim Lim Tower. The upper 2 floors. There are quite a number of shops selling a very wide range. They display openly, so you can see them. The price in Singapore is usually around double that you find at Amazon. Eg. if the price at Amazon is US$50. Then you just double it to US$100 and then convert to S$ which is about S$145. This is very very rough guide. I have not been looking at the walkie-talkie prices at Sim Lim Tower for quite a long time already, so this may not be true anymore.

I guess, the best way is to identify the model you want, then ask around the different shops to get the best price.

Be careful of three things.

Firstly, you may find a model that looks the same in different shops, but with big difference in price. Look carefully especially behind the pack. It may be that one has rechargeable battery pack and charging cradle, and the other does not. Also, some shops include the 230V-110V converter. Most do not.

Secondly, make sure it has the type of battery you want. Non-standard size rechargeable? AA? AAA? AA Rechargeable? AAA Rechargeable? All have pros and cons.

Thirdly, make sure it uses the standard you want. GMRS/FRS? China standard (eg. T4508)? Singapore standard?

thanks for the pointers! will take note of all those u mentioned above! i will be there duing the F1 weekend (i am from out of town), so thinking of stopping by sim lim tower as suggested.

on the frequency standards, as i will be using it while travelling, i would like a standard that is accepted worldwide (at least majority of the world), which do you reckon is a better choice? i am swinging toward GMRS/FRS for the time being...

i am looking for small, lightweight models. currently shortlisted the following (not sure whether they are available in SG though):

Uniden GMR1235-2 2-Way 12 Mile 2 Pack GMRS/FRS Radios
http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-GMR1235-2-2-Way-Mile-Radios/dp/B0012Z4QXO/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1221056438&sr=8-3

Midland LXT330VP3 22-Channel 16-Mile GMRS 2-Way Radio (Pair)
http://www.amazon.com/Midland-LXT330VP3-22-Channel-16-Mile-2-Way/dp/B000P0M94A/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1221056438&sr=8-4

Uniden GMR1838-2CK 2-Way 18 Mile 2 Pack GMRS/FRS Radio's with Dual Charger Included
http://www.amazon.com/Uniden-GMR1838-2CK-Radios-Charger-Included/dp/B0012Z9OOU/ref=pd_bbs_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1221056438&sr=8-8

MIDLAND LXT340VP3 2 Way Radio 20 Mile
http://www.amazon.com/MIDLAND-LXT340VP3-Way-Radio-Mile/dp/B0015571OW/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1221056438&sr=8-4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:55 pm 
Regular
Regular

GPS: 60CS
ganymede wrote:
on the frequency standards, as i will be using it while travelling, i would like a standard that is accepted worldwide (at least majority of the world), which do you reckon is a better choice? i am swinging toward GMRS/FRS for the time being...

Yeah, I think the USA GMRS/FRS is the most widely used in Malaysia&Singapore (and of course USA & Canada)!! Don't know about the rest of the world though. It is illegal outside of USA&Canada though.

If I am not mistaken, I think I saw quite a lot of Midland models there. Not sure about Uniden, though. Also saw Cobra & of course Motorola. Personally, I like the models which take AA batteries. Can use Alkaline AA or Rechargeable Nimh AA. That is because AAA batteries store so much less energy, so can last very much shorter time. But of course if you are looking for very small and cute units, then no choice but to use AAA.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:02 pm 

FrancisTLim wrote:
Yeah, I think the USA GMRS/FRS is the most widely used in Malaysia&Singapore (and of course USA & Canada)!! Don't know about the rest of the world though. It is illegal outside of USA&Canada though.

If I am not mistaken, I think I saw quite a lot of Midland models there. Not sure about Uniden, though. Also saw Cobra & of course Motorola. Personally, I like the models which take AA batteries. Can use Alkaline AA or Rechargeable Nimh AA. That is because AAA batteries store so much less energy, so can last very much shorter time. But of course if you are looking for very small and cute units, then no choice but to use AAA.

noted on the battery used part! i used a motorola FV300 with with 3's AAA alkaline batteries and it can last me well over two days of travelling. i agree with u that models that use AA or AAA are better than those that use propriety battery pack...

anything else i should look out for?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:46 pm 
Elite
Elite

GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.
ganymede wrote:
anything else i should look out for?

A side port for 3,5mm jack to connect yr headphone with mic, very handy to have and use allowing handsfree communication.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:07 am 

cruiser wrote:
A side port for 3,5mm jack to connect yr headphone with mic, very handy to have and use allowing handsfree communication.

thanks! :tq:

*furiously taking notes*

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:02 pm 

GPS: 02 50
102 41
Hy Guys......i new to this.....
May I suggest you guys to take Radio Amateur....u will have multiple frequency to operate
HF/VHF/uhf because they will be more fun rather than using the toy radio like
FRS because of limited range.....u cant go on high power......on FRS. But if you are happy with the one that u are
having now i cant stop u.......good luck lah......

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:39 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 200 (US Version)
Nuvi 255W (TWN Version)
MobileXT (V5.00.30)
FRS is fun too, specially family went for big shopping complex can also be contact easily, or during family go for long distance consists of more than one car also can be use as safety communication.

If intend not going for high power, wide range of frequencies, this is the one to go for, or you ain't know what is Frequencies communication is all about FRS is the good step.

Ham Radio can let a operator to enjoy much more than FRS does.

Cheers! 73!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:05 pm 

GPS: 02 50
102 41
9W2CBL wrote:
FRS is fun too, specially family went for big shopping complex can also be contact easily, or during family go for long distance consists of more than one car also can be use as safety communication.

If intend not going for high power, wide range of frequencies, this is the one to go for, or you ain't know what is Frequencies communication is all about FRS is the good step.

Ham Radio can let a operator to enjoy much more than FRS does.

Cheers! 73!

YES FRS ...FRS.....Well as what i said if you are happy with FRS go ahead.......

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next