Walkie-Talkie kaki (FRS & GMRS)

Hamsters, geocachers, hikers, bikers, 4WD kakis, aviationist, fishing fans, scrambler fans, kitesurfers and more .. come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 4924
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:54 pm
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra
Contact:

Re: Walkie-Talkie kaki (FRS & GMRS)

#171 Post by SilverBeauty » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:53 pm

charadeturbo wrote: Thank's Master SilverBeauty for ur answer....

now i have kenwood KPG-87D v1.0 software, i like to try re-setting the set using that software, but i does't have the programming cable.
Can u tell me, wicth one is the better one to use, USB / SERIAL type..?

:)
NewBie

I will go for USB as most PC / Lappies today do not have a serial port. :-'

And those USB to serial port convertors do not always work :thumbsdown:

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 574
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Walkie-Talkie kaki (FRS & GMRS)

#172 Post by ace » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:00 pm

Anybody know of any reputable shop to browse and look for a set of walkie talkie in SG? :tq:
I don't have free fish......

charadeturbo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:34 pm
GPS: GARMIN
Contact:

Re: Walkie-Talkie kaki (FRS & GMRS)

#173 Post by charadeturbo » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:18 am

SilverBeauty


I will go for USB as most PC / Lappies today do not have a serial port. :-'

And those USB to serial port convertors do not always work :thumbsdown:


Thanks Master SilverBeauty, :)

FrancisTLim
Regular
Regular
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:01 pm
GPS: 60CS
Contact:

Re: Walkie-Talkie kaki (FRS & GMRS)

#174 Post by FrancisTLim » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:03 pm

ace wrote:Anybody know of any reputable shop to browse and look for a set of walkie talkie in SG? :tq:
If you see some of the earlier posts in this thread, you will see some recommendations. Anyway, just walk around Sim Lim Tower & Sim Lim Square, you will see quite a number of shops selling. If you are buying the USA models, then I think "reputable shop" doesn't matter because there is no warranty anyway. As soon as you buy, open the package to test it out before you walk out of the shop. The advantage of USA models (FRS & GMRS) is that they are cheap and compantible with many other sets used worldwide (illegally. Haha). This is because they are so cheap that they are being sold and used illegally in many countries. If you are looking to buy Singapore IDA approved sets (ie. Singapore unlicenced walkie talkie frequencies), then they are being sold in many neighbourhood shops, and even Challenger (computer shop) sells them. I guess Challenger should be reputable enough lah.
Regards,
Francis T Lim.

User avatar
Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 2738
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:37 pm
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM
Location: Hougang, Sg
Contact:

Re: Walkie-Talkie kaki (FRS & GMRS)

#175 Post by Redstorm » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:00 pm

FrancisTLim wrote:If you see some of the earlier posts in this thread, you will see some recommendations. Anyway, just walk around Sim Lim Tower & Sim Lim Square, you will see quite a number of shops selling. If you are buying the USA models, then I think "reputable shop" doesn't matter because there is no warranty anyway. As soon as you buy, open the package to test it out before you walk out of the shop. The advantage of USA models (FRS & GMRS) is that they are cheap and compantible with many other sets used worldwide (illegally. Haha). This is because they are so cheap that they are being sold and used illegally in many countries. If you are looking to buy Singapore IDA approved sets (ie. Singapore unlicenced walkie talkie frequencies), then they are being sold in many neighbourhood shops, and even Challenger (computer shop) sells them. I guess Challenger should be reputable enough lah.

Wah, Francis, you are from Penang and yet you are quite familiar with Singapore - Sim Lim Square, Sim Lim Tower, IDA, Challenger, etc........ :thumbsup: :mrgreen:
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 574
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Walkie-Talkie kaki (FRS & GMRS)

#176 Post by ace » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:47 pm

ok ok....thanks Francis...

I go walk walk.... :lol:
I don't have free fish......

User avatar
jwkong
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:38 pm
GPS: Nokia N5800 Garmin XT
Contact:

Re: Walkie-Talkie kaki (FRS & GMRS)

#177 Post by jwkong » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:54 am

hi seniors,
i need help and advice.

Which channel is th ebest for long range and clear sound?

i have tested myself and i found out within 2 - 3 km, FRS Channel 8 - 14 have a very very very clear sound compare to GMRS channel 1-7 & 15-22.

Any of you tested before?
i have 4 Uniden GMR1235-2 and 2 Midland XT20.
I have tested it all and all the same.

Any ideas?

FrancisTLim
Regular
Regular
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:01 pm
GPS: 60CS
Contact:

Re: Walkie-Talkie kaki (FRS & GMRS)

#178 Post by FrancisTLim » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:48 pm

jwkong wrote:hi seniors,
i need help and advice.

Which channel is th ebest for long range and clear sound?

i have tested myself and i found out within 2 - 3 km, FRS Channel 8 - 14 have a very very very clear sound compare to GMRS channel 1-7 & 15-22.

Any of you tested before?
i have 4 Uniden GMR1235-2 and 2 Midland XT20.
I have tested it all and all the same.

Any ideas?
There should not be any real difference between all the channels in terms of range. The two factors affecting which channels give clear sound, etc. is whether there are others using the same channel around that area, and also whether there are other organisations using the frequencies around the channel you are using. This is because you must remember that GMRS & FRS channels are not legal in Singapore & Malaysia, and the frequencies are actually allocated to other organisactions (eg. long range radiotelephones, ie. the 011 service).

The short answer is..... you have to test it out and find the best channel for the area you are in.
Regards,
Francis T Lim.

User avatar
jwkong
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:38 pm
GPS: Nokia N5800 Garmin XT
Contact:

Re: Walkie-Talkie kaki (FRS & GMRS)

#179 Post by jwkong » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:23 pm

hi bro,

i have tried all the 22 channel in the FRS/GMRS radio.

from my testing all the channel is empty and clear of usage.
another funny thing is that using all 22 channel i have tested and found out that FRS channel 8 - 14 have a very big difference in terms of sound and clear voice.

when i am using all the GMRS channel 1-7 and 15-22 there is so many static.

this is why i feel very weird.
they say GMRS is longer... but my GMRS is worst than FRS.
The frequency difference is only 467MHZ and 462MHZ... not much difference in terms of disturbing other legal frequency cos the frq only varies in 5MHZ which is 1 wideband...

Anyone tested their FRS/GMRS walkie talkie before for longest and clearest channel?

thanks.

User avatar
jwkong
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:38 pm
GPS: Nokia N5800 Garmin XT
Contact:

Re: Walkie-Talkie kaki (FRS & GMRS)

#180 Post by jwkong » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:30 pm

BTW seniors,

can anyone enlighten me with the walkie talkie on the market nowadays?

i saw there is a lot of walkie ranging over RM200 which are programmable. But most of it is UHF 400MHZ to 480MHZ.

some is VHF 140MHZ to something and some is combine of UHF and VHF and of course the price is RM1000 above.

Actually which one is which one?
For example Kenwood TK3107 is keypadless and uses UHF but i heard it is not really from Kenwood cos Kenwood dont have such model. Is this true? how can i differential between the original from Kenwood or not original?

And another is that some keypad radio can let us to program the frequency ourself but i dont know which one is which coz there are some walkie talkie with keypad but dunno what the keypad for.

Can seniors advice me on these?

thank you so much..

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests