New Project For MSM NT Map – Multiple Entry Point

Moderator: Moderators

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

New Project For MSM NT Map – Multiple Entry Point

#1 Post by Redstorm » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:46 pm

MSM is embarking on a project to change the way we navigate to a specific POI eg. a shopping mall, a commercial building, park, a school, etc. when using the MSM NT map. With "Multiple Entry Point", we can define more than 1 entry to a building when we update the map. And, as long as there are more than one entry point for selection on the map, an user will be able to select the particular entry point that he prefers to take. Currently, user do not have the option to select a particular entry point that he prefers as, by default, the device will route you to only the main entry point, even if we know that there is more than one entry points.

Presently, the Multiple Entry Point feature is available only in the latest Garmin CN Sg/My 2010.10 map albeit only on very limited POIs. An example of a multiple entry point is the Suntec City Tower 5. After you have selected this POI, an additional button (Other Waypoint) can be found above the “Go” button.

Touching on the “Others” button will display 2 “Entry Point” to Suntec Tower 5. User can view the map of each entry point before deciding on the particular entry point he prefers to use.

In order to make this new feature a success, just like new POIs and tracks, we need contributions from members on existing POIs where there are multiple entry points to it. Contributor just need to mark the actual entry points to the buildings or POI which they would like to contribute. Using the example “Heartland Mall” at Hougang St 21, I would mark “Carpark 1 (Heartland Mall)” , “Carpark 2 (Heartland Mall)”, “Drop off/pick up point (Heartland Mall)” and so on.

Preferred method is using MapSource with correct file naming, example “Heartland Mall – 7EP.gdb” since there are 7 entry points identified. For those without mapsource, list the entry points in the following order with the coordinates.

Heartland Mall

Carpark 1 (Heartland Mall) - N1 21.541 E103 53.086
Carpark 2 (Heartland Mall) - N1 21.530 E103 53.119
Drop off/pick up point (Heartland Mall) - N1 21.583 E103 53.087

When the above info is added into subsequent NT map, I'll get the "Others WayPoint" when I select "Heartland Mall" and have the 6 entry points as option to select from.

I have created a new thread – "Contributions (Multiple Entry Points) For MSM NT Map" in the “Tracks, Waypoints and Feedbacks” sub-forum. So keep the contributions flowing………..
Thank you. :mrgreen:
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

Noah
Senior Mapper
GPS: 60csx, Nuvi 2465

Re: New Project For MSM NT Map – Multiple Entry Point

#2 Post by Noah » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:10 pm

This will hopefully prevent routing from "jumping" off the highway, as happened previously where a mapper would have to draw the feeder road to the Entry Points.
Mappers wanted. Read this to get started. Payment = Recognition = Priceless.
We don't just build maps. We build relationships.

Follow our map updates on Twitter

BanBan
Qualified Mapper
GPS: 60CS, Unbranded MCX ext. antenna, Nuvi 1460, 2565.

#3 Post by BanBan » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:38 pm

Is this feature supported by all models of Garmin pnd?
Last edited by BanBan on Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Aha! Papa got a new toy!" - BanBan (My 3 yr old daughter)

Zeus73
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550, Kenwood DNX4150BT

#4 Post by Zeus73 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:11 pm

BanBan wrote:Is this feature supported by models of Garmin pnd?
Yes. The screen shot on the first post was from nuvi 765.

The button above "Go" can be either "Others" or "Entry" at this point of time.

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

#5 Post by Redstorm » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:06 pm

BanBan wrote:Is this feature supported by models of Garmin pnd?
So far only the latest Garmin CN Sg/My 2010.10 map has this multiple entry points. I have tested on only the 760 and 765 and this feature is supported on both these models. I do not have other models with me, so am not able to confirm if they support this feature. Perhaps, those who have other models would like to test it by searching for "Suntec Tower 5" to see if you get this screen and post your result here. Thank you.

Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

#6 Post by dvpro » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:55 am

Noah wrote:This will hopefully prevent routing from "jumping" off the highway, as happened previously where a mapper would have to draw the feeder road to the Entry Points.
Isn't the feeder road (or any routable road for that matter) still necessary for proper route calculation to these entry points?

@Redstorm,
And on that same note, how about entry points that are not near routable roads, is that submittable as well?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe these multiple entry points feature is just a sort of POIs sub-grouping under main POI.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

#7 Post by Redstorm » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:19 pm

Noah wrote:This will hopefully prevent routing from "jumping" off the highway, as happened previously where a mapper would have to draw the feeder road to the Entry Points.
dvpro wrote: Isn't the feeder road (or any routable road for that matter) still necessary for proper route calculation to these entry points?

@Redstorm,
And on that same note, how about entry points that are not near routable roads, is that submittable as well?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe these multiple entry points feature is just a sort of POIs sub-grouping under main POI.
I dun think it is submittable for entry points that are not near routable roads. If an entry point is linked by a non-routable route eg. a small track, one is unable to drive all the way there unless he is on foot but a vast majority of us use our PND only when we drive.

Yes, although Adil didn't go into the intricacies how the multiple entry points will be created on the map and shown on the device, I would agree with you that it is a sort of POI sub-grouping judging from the limited POI on this shown using the Garmin CN map.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

Noah
Senior Mapper
GPS: 60csx, Nuvi 2465

#8 Post by Noah » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:14 pm

DVPro wrote:Isn't the feeder road (or any routable road for that matter) still necessary for proper route calculation to these entry points?
This has been the method mappers use to prevent routing from "jumping" off the highway. However in many instances feeder roads are not necessary as they just add clutter to the map. Only the most detailed mapper draw them. An example is a feeder road which goes into a Petrol Station. I do not encourage mappers to draw them as this increases the Routing Node count and on a stretch of polyline which has a limit of 60 routing nodes, it matters.
Mappers wanted. Read this to get started. Payment = Recognition = Priceless.
We don't just build maps. We build relationships.

Follow our map updates on Twitter

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

#9 Post by dvpro » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:54 pm

I fully understand the need to minimize feeder roads, however if this multiple entry points feature is to be used to the best advantage, a feeder road is still needed if any of the entry points is located near another routable road which should not be used in the route. After all, this feature is merely POIs sub-grouping under main POI, and I don't see how it would prevent routing from "jumping" off the highway (if there is no proper routable road in the first place).
Redstorm wrote:Yes, although Adil didn't go into the intricacies how the multiple entry points will be created on the map and shown on the device, I would agree with you that it is a sort of POI sub-grouping judging from the limited POI on this shown using the Garmin CN map.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

bernGPS
Senior Mapper
GPS: Garmin 10x, GPSmap78s (now become a lemon) & etrex Vista HCx

#10 Post by bernGPS » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:39 pm

Does it work on th ehandhelds?