Polygon Extrusion support (for 765 and 3790 only)

Moderator: Moderators

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner
GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S

Polygon Extrusion support (for 765 and 3790 only)

#1 Post by adilothman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:44 am

This was tested extensively during our recent trip to Garmin Taipei. Those using 3790 and 765 (basically Nuvi's supporting 3D buildings) will be able to see polygon extrusion when navigating. The challenge is not to over populate our map with unnecessary 3D poygons. There is another new feature coming for buildings but we'll talk about that on another day.

Expect to see this in version 5.11 or 5.12 onwards. The polygons are height customisable and we will focus on structures like shopping complexes, hospitals. The issue boils down to processor power so we will try to achieve a good balance. As always we welcome feedback and thoughts on this by everyone.

Unfortunately my 3790 kene "pau" by someone so I'm unable to take screenshots. Here's how it looks like on the MapViewer. 3790 will "truncate" a building if it is too high. For display purposes it will not, for example, show a 400m tall building to scale.
Attachments
poly-1.jpg
Flat, tall, tallest comparison
poly-2.jpg
Big brother and small sista
Malsingmaps is now an official partner of Garmin to produce maps for MY, SG & Brunei.

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

Re: Polygon Extrusion support (for 765 and 3790 only)

#2 Post by SilverBeauty » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:35 am

That is great news Adil. :thumbsup: I have both models, and any help to test it out just let us know. :good:

adilothman
Site Owner
Site Owner
GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S

#3 Post by adilothman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Screenshot from 3790. The display setting needs some further tweaking ..

Apparently in certain markets, this feature is disliked by users! Not this user .. :wink:
Attachments
45486.jpg
Polygon extrusion
Malsingmaps is now an official partner of Garmin to produce maps for MY, SG & Brunei.

GPSPowered
Regular
Regular
GPS: Authorised Garmin Retailer at Digital Mall, PJ.

#4 Post by GPSPowered » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:18 pm

Looking at how the 3D technology handle the building and highlighted route, I am very impress. This is real 3D rendering! :mrgreen:

zamzuree99
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Garmin nUVI 200W us version

#5 Post by zamzuree99 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:04 pm

adilothman wrote:Screenshot from 3790. The display setting needs some further tweaking ..

Apparently in certain markets, this feature is disliked by users! Not this user .. :wink:

woooooww =D> new era for msm map..unfortunately i dont have nuvi3790 or 760.....still using my old nuvi 200w because no problem and reliable. :mrgreen:

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#6 Post by cruiser » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:47 am

Frankly, from a personal perspective over 2D and 3D in sharp contrast & angulation when viewing from variable heights, I would truly prefer 3D ..... only when one choose that option during a stretch while cruising a route within dense traffic. That is when 3D serves its value, should it be an option selected by the user.

While 2D by default reflect & display the outlined roads and side streets or main highways, this is an option most are aware and favorably adopt 85% of the time to appreciate routing from a different altitude, for it can't be in any other way, when looking downwards from high up.

So, when 3D is opted, one is cruising at a given level that accepts eye-level vision (or rather, virtual perception if you will) on a road condition that sees and extends viewing to about as far as the eye-level view allows, with skyscrapers simply looking tall from a good distance until one approaches too close to bother continuing to see how tall the building(s) gets to be, which is plainly, quite unnecessary to further estimate the height in my honest opinion.

You don't keep driving and gazing at a skyscraper to see just how tall it gets to be as you near it in real situation, do you?

So, realistically, that necessity to show in correct scale is somewhat overboard on this demand which is not a compromise if processor support comes into question.

It can be achieved, one sees all marked as mapped, polygons and any other structures only when one is in 3D mode.
It is wholly ridiculous to have that in 2D mode and from a safe height like 300m or higher... one just can't consider navigating at that altitude to be on the lookout for the next turn-off in over 50 or 100 m distance left... it should by then be in 3D mode.

Am also curious :-k what that "feature" would be Adil that you now know for a soon to be implementation on the Nuvis.... \:D/
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

Re: christian audigier hoodies have broadband that suc

#7 Post by cruiser » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:54 pm

vaninadic wrote:They are all internet based companies and all of them have broadband that sucks,

You made yr point but it also sucks when you should know better on WHERE to address yr aggro and this forum is not the place & this thread of yours is certainly out of topic [-X which is as much as an odd one out that's soon to be thrown out by the Mods and that is a BAD start for a 1st timer on your very first post as well.... ](*,)
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

SOSweet
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: Nuvi 200W, Omnia II + GMXT

Re: christian audigier hoodies have broadband that suc

#8 Post by SOSweet » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:14 pm

cruiser wrote:You made yr point but it also sucks when you should know better on WHERE to address yr aggro and this forum is not the place & this thread of yours is certainly out of topic
Yeah lor, he came here to ka chao only. :fire:
HEALTHY LIVING :
Eat Less - Salt & Sugar
Do More - Exercises & Good Deeds