GPSmap 76CSx

Discussions on Garmin eTrex, GPSMap60, GPSMap76, Rino & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

zah
GPS: Garmin

How to export dxf or shp file into GPSmap 76Csx

#141 Post by zah » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:22 pm

Dear friends,

I have mapped my property using trimble Geoexplorer 111 and tranfer the data as well as did the final map uisng the Mapinfo. My problem is how to export the mapinfo format map into the GPSmap 76Csx.
For info, I have converted the file into shp and also dxf, then convert it into GPX and img file, the problem is the file I have converted has still cannot be displayed in my 76Csx.

Hope anybody can help me to =D> solve the problem

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

Re: How to export dxf or shp file into GPSmap 76Csx

#142 Post by dvpro » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:51 am

zah wrote:Dear friends,

I have mapped my property using trimble Geoexplorer 111 and tranfer the data as well as did the final map uisng the Mapinfo. My problem is how to export the mapinfo format map into the GPSmap 76Csx.
For info, I have converted the file into shp and also dxf, then convert it into GPX and img file, the problem is the file I have converted has still cannot be displayed in my 76Csx.

Hope anybody can help me to =D> solve the problem
Maybe it's a good idea attaching the source DXF and the final GPX for verification.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

HighlandPathFinder
Qualified Mapper
GPS: Montana 650
Garmin GPSmap 76CSx, 60CSx, 62s
Garmin Mobile XT in Nokia N95 8GB, Nokia N8

Re: 76csx firmware update bring to accuracy 2m

#143 Post by HighlandPathFinder » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:41 pm

chuah wrote:Bro

Wa! how you get this? and special anternal use? settting?

List some treat lei. =P~

I know this forum is rather "outdated" but I told sifu Bern that I will coming up with +-0 reception, he,he. This is what I managed after updating to v4. Aduh still +-2 even with 2 missing satelites. Ooops,pic poor due to flash.
Attachments
230720092092-Satelite.jpg
UR What U Think UR

deani77
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 42 (Navigation)

Re: 76csx firmware update bring to accuracy 2m

#144 Post by deani77 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:57 pm

HighlandPathFinder wrote: Image
To get accuracy 1m other than using external antenna, you must be at the right place at the right time. As for myself the best accuracy I can get without using external antenna was 2m when I was in Bintulu

build6
Regular
Regular
GPS: nüvi 255w (SG/MY localized)
GPSMAP 76CSx

Re: GPSmap 76CSx

#145 Post by build6 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:45 pm

Hello everybody, I finally took the plunge and got a GPSMAP 76CSx. Some thoughts (in case anyone is bored and wants stuff to read :-P):

a) accuracy better than my old GPS. and I like that it floats in water! I was debating between this and the Oregon 300, but this won in the end, even though the Oregon is "flashier". OK, the 76CSx being cheaper also helped :-)

b) microSD card hard to insert, my "Kingston" brand one got stuck, in the end had to use the one from my Nokia phone

c) colour display too dim. Only readable when using backlight, which must be terrible for battery. I prefer black-and-white screens which are much more visible in daylight. colour not useful for me.

d) overall happy with it :-) If only display not so dim, I would count it as "perfect".

build6
Regular
Regular
GPSMAP 76CSx

#146 Post by build6 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:49 pm

bernGPS wrote: The "20 left" are Generalised tracks used for trackback purpose and is stored internally with a maximum track size of 500 points only. There is another "internal memory" for tracks with a default number of track points of 3000 points but can be changed to a maximum of 10,000 points.

Your summary for the SD card is correct.
Hi bernGPS, I just tested my "save track" and it used up one of the 20 slots, even though I had "Log Track To Data Card" selected, and there are "dated" tracks on the data card - so the only can store "daily tracks", and cannot allow me to rename the tracks on the card itself (I know I can copy the track off and rename it on my computer)? (haha, I guess it is not "perfect" not just for the dim display then :-P)

Hrm, does anybody knows how the storage works if I am travelling and cross over 12 midnight - the track suddenly "ends" there and starts on a new day's track?

build6
Regular
Regular
GPSMAP 76CSx

#147 Post by build6 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:51 pm

build6 wrote: I like that it floats in water!
one thing though - is anyone else worried about water getting into the microSD card compartment? does not look very "sealed" to me :-P

bernGPS
Senior Mapper
GPS: Garmin 10x, GPSmap78s (now become a lemon) & etrex Vista HCx

#148 Post by bernGPS » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:13 pm

build6 wrote:
Hi bernGPS, I just tested my "save track" and it used up one of the 20 slots, even though I had "Log Track To Data Card" selected, and there are "dated" tracks on the data card - so the only can store "daily tracks", and cannot allow me to rename the tracks on the card itself (I know I can copy the track off and rename it on my computer)? (haha, I guess it is not "perfect" not just for the dim display then :-P)

Hrm, does anybody knows how the storage works if I am travelling and cross over 12 midnight - the track suddenly "ends" there and starts on a new day's track?
I believe so. Havent done tracking pass midnight :mrgreen:

build6
Regular
Regular
GPSMAP 76CSx

#149 Post by build6 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:23 am

bernGPS wrote: I believe so. Havent done tracking pass midnight :mrgreen:
heh :-)

ok, anyways, I am happy with the 76CSx, but I am sad that people (product designers/managers? consumers?) all get so excited by "colour" as a feature. I mean, this is a GPS, not a TV.

The "black and white" (I should say "greyscale") basic GPSMAP 76 model is much more visible/easier to read (and not just that, it has more pixels in the display so can show more stuff!). But the problem is that it does not have expandable memory, no USB connection, etc. - basically not a "modern" GPS. Worst of all, it doesn't seem to be using the "sirfstar 3" GPS system, so slower and less accurate.

If there was a black-and-white version with the "modern features", I would have probably chosen it instead :-). The longer-rated battery life of the 76CSx is not going to turn out to be the case if I have to keep using the backlighting :-(

build6
Regular
Regular
GPSMAP 76CSx

#150 Post by build6 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:11 am

just a short note in case it helps people who are using a Mac -

when you mount a FAT-formatted drive (this would include a microSD card) on a Mac, .Spotlight-V100 , .Trashes and .DS_Store gets created. I have found that if you put a microSD card with these on it into the 76CSx, the unit will not boot. Fix is to manually delete these three from the card and the 76CSx seems happy with the card again.