GPSmap 76CSx

Discussions on Garmin eTrex, GPSMap60, GPSMap76, Rino & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

Re: GPSmap 76CSx

#161 Post by SilverBeauty » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:36 pm

build6 wrote:I am wondering if anyone has encountered this (quite serious!) bug before:

I have my GPSMAP 76CSx connected with USB cable to my PC. I am in USB Mass Storage mode. I exit that mode to go back to "GPS" mode... and the system does a COMPLETE RESET, i.e. "back to factory settings" - all my waypoints, tracks etc. lost.

am using the 4.00 firmware (which I check is the latest?).

anyone know anything about this?

:-(
Read in another forum that the uSD card could be the cause through corrupted data. Remove it and see if it happens again. If it solves it, reformat the uSD card

build6
Regular
Regular
GPS: nüvi 255w (SG/MY localized)
GPSMAP 76CSx

#162 Post by build6 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:24 pm

SilverBeauty wrote: Read in another forum that the uSD card could be the cause through corrupted data. Remove it and see if it happens again. If it solves it, reformat the uSD card
hrm, thank you for info. i have heard before that a corrupted microSD card can stop the 76CSx from starting up, but i did not know it will cause system reset. But then the reset only happened when I did that sequence of events (switch into and then out of "mass storage" mode, while still plug in to PC).

I lost my waypoint but because I have tracklog activated I still have the daily tracklog... stored on the microSD card! no problem there...

actually I also think there is a problem with microSD cards that have been formatted on a Mac when used on the 76CSx (I think the device cannot handle filenames like ".Trashes" etc. in the filesystem).

I think I don't have the energy to keep troubleshooting this kind of thing, from now on I just avoid switching USB device modes while plugged in... but am very unhappy, I lost some waypoints I have not backed up yet (which is because I was plugging in to the PC in order to back up!!)

build6
Regular
Regular
GPSMAP 76CSx

#163 Post by build6 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:29 pm

Sigh, I was on a long trip where I was counting on my daily tracklog (saved to mSD card) as a record, but for 2 days I don't have a record because the system powered off halfway (I noticed this subsequently and turned it back on, but somehow the self-powering off (bad batteries?) messed up the tracklog saving). So that seems like another software issue (i.e. tracklogging not "robust" if there's other problems encountered).

hrm.

There's also the "factory reset" issue I posted before.

And also if the microSD card has been mounted on a Mac before (and so it will have created folders with names like ".DS_Store") then the unit will not start up with the card inserted.

And it can take a while to get initial satellite lock.

And when I've been in the water, afterwards when I open up the battery compartment I can see droplets/moisture on the batteries...

alright that's it I'm getting a 78S :-)

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

#164 Post by jasonlee » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:25 pm

build6 wrote:Sigh, I was on a long trip where I was counting on my daily tracklog (saved to mSD card) as a record, but for 2 days I don't have a record because the system powered off halfway (I noticed this subsequently and turned it back on, but somehow the self-powering off (bad batteries?) messed up the tracklog saving). So that seems like another software issue (i.e. tracklogging not "robust" if there's other problems encountered).

hrm.

There's also the "factory reset" issue I posted before.

And also if the microSD card has been mounted on a Mac before (and so it will have created folders with names like ".DS_Store") then the unit will not start up with the card inserted.

And it can take a while to get initial satellite lock.

And when I've been in the water, afterwards when I open up the battery compartment I can see droplets/moisture on the batteries...

alright that's it I'm getting a 78S :-)
I have not used a 78S so I cannot comment about it but I have used an Etrex 30 for some time now and am very happy with the accuracy of being able to use also the Russian Glonass satellites (24 satellites instead of just the 12 GPS satellites. It is waterproof enough in the rain but I have never immersed it in water. I use Sharp Eneloop batteries which are the best available that I have encountered.

Study before you decide.
Lean not on your own understanding

build6
Regular
Regular
GPSMAP 76CSx

#165 Post by build6 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:00 pm

jasonlee wrote:I have used an Etrex 30 for some time now and am very happy with the accuracy of being able to use also the Russian Glonass satellites (24 satellites instead of just the 12 GPS satellites.
the etrex 30 sounds very interesting. I suppose I can live without floating ability (or I can find some kind of floating case). so the etrex can also record daily tracklogs like the 76CSx (and which the 78s doesn't, which I read is one of the complaints)?

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

#166 Post by jasonlee » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:46 pm

build6 wrote:
jasonlee wrote:I have used an Etrex 30 for some time now and am very happy with the accuracy of being able to use also the Russian Glonass satellites (24 satellites instead of just the 12 GPS satellites.
the etrex 30 sounds very interesting. I suppose I can live without floating ability (or I can find some kind of floating case). so the etrex can also record daily tracklogs like the 76CSx (and which the 78s doesn't, which I read is one of the complaints)?
The Etrex 30 can record daily. For the current day the tracks are in current.gpx For older tracks they will be under Archive and will have the dates they were recorded. Not sure if they can float but they are waterproofed against showers. I have other GPSes claimed to be floatable but I have not been brave enough to test them.
Lean not on your own understanding

build6
Regular
Regular
GPSMAP 76CSx

#167 Post by build6 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:08 am

jasonlee wrote: The Etrex 30 can record daily. For the current day the tracks are in current.gpx For older tracks they will be under Archive and will have the dates they were recorded. Not sure if they can float but they are waterproofed against showers. I have other GPSes claimed to be floatable but I have not been brave enough to test them.
ok thanks for info

my 76CSx floats fine. but like I said, afterwards when I open the battery compartment I see moisture/condensation on the batteries, which is not a good sign...

nazim othman
GPS: Garmin

#168 Post by nazim othman » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:21 pm

hai all...i have GPSmap 76csx...can i know how to update @ added the new basemap? my device only have marine basemap.. :tq:

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#169 Post by SilverBeauty » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:49 pm

nazim othman wrote:hai all...i have GPSmap 76csx...can i know how to update @ added the new basemap? my device only have marine basemap.. :tq:

Go buy a SD card
Create a sub folder in the SD card /garmin
Download the latest map from this link viewtopic.php?p=209920#p209920

Unzip and put the map file into SD card/garmin

Thats it. Enjoy our map :thumbsup: