Garmin Handheld - General Discussion

Discussions on Garmin eTrex, GPSMap60, GPSMap76, Rino & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

chinwy
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Garmin 62SC, 60CX, Colorado 300

Re: MOAGU - Mother of All GPS Utilities

#101 Post by chinwy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:58 pm

Had a look. Looks interesting esp when you are keen in the topo mapping.

However it has not been known to run on Co yet :( . Will test it out anyway and feedback in a couple of days time... I am on the move again.

udaloy
Regular
Regular
GPS: Legend C

Re: Garmin Device Without SD Card

#102 Post by udaloy » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:17 pm

BartolomeusBob wrote:To all the masters here, I want to ask you about sending maps to some older Garmin Gps such as GPSmap 76CS, 60CS, etc. Is that possible to send any commercial map (such as City Navigation V2.1 Indonesia) to those kind of devices, coz those devices don't have external memory and I'm not talking about buying the map :evil: .

Thank you for your attention and answer. :thumbsup:
I have a Legend C which has only internal memory of 24Mb. You need to have Mapsource to transfer the selected maps to the GPS. The number of maps that can be transferred will be limited by the device's memory capacity.

Hope that's the answer you are looking for.

:D

moeyHC
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575, Papaga N1, iGo, 5800, M1200, M1000B/C

Re: Garmin Device Without SD Card

#103 Post by moeyHC » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:34 pm

Bro BartolomeusBob,

If you are asking Brothers here to help you install illegal maps then you are at the wrong site. If you want to use a map it is best to buy one. The 'City Navigation V2.1 Indonesia' is locked to the GPS it is installed to. You cannot use it on another GPS unit. If you are not, than let us know what you really want to do... I'm sure members here are willing to lend a hand.... cheers!
MSM Glossary/Index - viewtopic.php?p=57986#p57986

watchthewaves
GPS: nuvi 260

Where to buy in Geneva?

#104 Post by watchthewaves » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:53 pm

I will be going to Geneva next week. Any of our Europoean friends know of a shop in Geneva which sells Garmin handhelds at a good price? Is it cheaper than in Singapore?

I might be doing some light hiking, so thought of getting a set with the Swiss/European maps.

Thanks.

bowhunter
GPS: dont have any yet

Google earth: which garmin can upload waypoint/location?

#105 Post by bowhunter » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:59 pm

Dear all Garmin handheld user,

I dont own one yet, but I heard that garmin handheld can upload waypoint/location into Google earth plus. if anyone tried this, please let me know what model did you use, as i'm still looking for right one without breaking my bank..

Thanks in advance
Thanks God I'm hunter!

Hunting location:
4°23'44.16"N 114° 2'35.85"E

udaloy
Regular
Regular

Re: Google earth: which garmin can upload waypoint/location?

#106 Post by udaloy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:08 pm

bowhunter wrote:Dear all Garmin handheld user,

I dont own one yet, but I heard that garmin handheld can upload waypoint/location into Google earth plus. if anyone tried this, please let me know what model did you use, as i'm still looking for right one without breaking my bank..

Thanks in advance
Surely that can be done but not directly from GPS to Google Earth. The waypoint has to be transferred to Mapsource, and from Mapsource, you can view it in Google Earth,

I have marked Changi Naval Base as my waypoint

so when I click "view in google earth" (google earth must be pre-installed), it will activate the Google Earth, and zoom in to my waypoint

Is this what you are talking about ? 8-)

bowhunter

#107 Post by bowhunter » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:41 am

thanks, that is very easy to understand as you explain it with picture :). Do ou think this model will work?

http://www.yorksport.com/gps/garmin_etrex.htm

or I need something better than that?
Thanks God I'm hunter!

Hunting location:

udaloy
Regular
Regular

#108 Post by udaloy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:51 am

bowhunter wrote:thanks, that is very easy to understand as you explain it with picture :). Do ou think this model will work?

http://www.yorksport.com/gps/garmin_etrex.htm

or I need something better than that?
Like I mentioned, the link is between the Mapsource, and Google Earth. The Etrex is a using serial cable for interface with PC, if you can establish the link between the GPS and Mapsource, then it will definitely work with Google Earth.

If your GPS is unable to link with your PC, the you can manually transfer the GPS co-ordinate of the waypoints from the GPS to mapsource, then it will still work.

:D

bowhunter

#109 Post by bowhunter » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:39 am

thanks, that help me a lot :thumbsup:
Thanks God I'm hunter!

Hunting location:

waypoint
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Trimble Ensign.Foretrex 101/401.Etrex H/Vista HCx.Nuvi 255W/205.NOKIA E72.iPad 64GB 3G.

Re: MOAGU - Mother of All GPS Utilities

#110 Post by waypoint » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:14 pm

:thumbsup: Works like a bloody charm on the Vista HCx; though the map screen re-draw/refresh rate is a tad slow. Tried it with an overseas training area topo map, followed the instructions to the 'T' and had it uploaded this morning. Will be getting a friend's Colorado 300 in about 1/2-hour to test.

Stay tuned.

BR,
w a y

UPDATE : Nope, it does not work on the Colorado 300. Seems it renders the *.typ files a little differently from the previous generation models like the 60Cx and eTrex Vista HCx. :thumbsdown:
"Heroes are born when bullets fly, when the earth explodes, when cannons roar, When Trumpets Fade."