GPSmap 78 series

Discussions on Garmin eTrex, GPSMap60, GPSMap76, Rino & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
bernGPS
Senior Mapper
Posts: 3369
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: Garmin 10x, GPSmap78s (now become a lemon) & etrex Vista HCx
Location: Sabah & Sarawak
Contact:

Re: GPSmap 78 series

#21 Post by bernGPS » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:12 am

hayamaguchi wrote:OK, sorry, the specs say that it DOES float. Does anybody know if the receiver is any different from the one in the 76csx?
Yes it does, but I havent tested it, hehe. The location fix is DAMNED FAST

build6
Regular
Regular
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:41 pm
GPS: nüvi 255w (SG/MY localized)
GPSMAP 76CSx
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: GPSmap 78 series

#22 Post by build6 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:58 am

hayamaguchi wrote:OK, sorry, the specs say that it DOES float. Does anybody know if the receiver is any different from the one in the 76csx?
bernGPS wrote:
Yes it does, but I havent tested it, hehe. The location fix is DAMNED FAST
the floating for the 76 series definitely works, but i am a bit worried about the battery compartment getting wet - for the 76CSx, not just battery but microSD card also - if seawater have to worry about contact corrosion etc.: can ask, how is the 78 compartment sealed? Like the 76CSx? And also the microSD slot is under the battery cover as well?
dvpro wrote:According to this article it uses STMicroelectronics Cartesio chip which is used in the Garmin Oregon and Dakota: http://www.gpsfix.net/gpsmap78-internal-2/

I believe earlier 60CSx/76CSx uses SiRfStarIII chipset, but newer units use MTK chipsets.
a fast location fix is very useful... this is because of the MTK chipset? do you notice if, like for the SirfStarIII, when your GPS is not being moved, is your location as "jittery" as with the SirfStarIII also? (or better/worse?)

User avatar
bernGPS
Senior Mapper
Posts: 3369
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: Garmin 10x, GPSmap78s (now become a lemon) & etrex Vista HCx
Location: Sabah & Sarawak
Contact:

Re: GPSmap 78 series

#23 Post by bernGPS » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:49 pm

build6 wrote: the floating for the 76 series definitely works, but i am a bit worried about the battery compartment getting wet - for the 76CSx, not just battery but microSD card also - if seawater have to worry about contact corrosion etc.: can ask, how is the 78 compartment sealed? Like the 76CSx? And also the microSD slot is under the battery cover as well?
I will post a pic later
build6 wrote:
a fast location fix is very useful... this is because of the MTK chipset? do you notice if, like for the SirfStarIII, when your GPS is not being moved, is your location as "jittery" as with the SirfStarIII also? (or better/worse?)
Its seems quite stable

User avatar
bernGPS
Senior Mapper
Posts: 3369
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: Garmin 10x, GPSmap78s (now become a lemon) & etrex Vista HCx
Location: Sabah & Sarawak
Contact:

Garmin 78s

#24 Post by bernGPS » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:49 pm

I have a Garmin 78s since last year but hardly used it due to the not so Tidy archieving of the tracks.

This year due to the availability of DEM enabled East malaysian Map, I was compelled to use it.

The problem is that the Unit will hang after using for a couple of hours. It has happened to me 3 times where the display is stuck at a location. Anyone else having the same problem?

User avatar
Zeus73
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2615
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:54 am
GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550, Kenwood DNX4150BT
Location: Yew Tee, Singapore
Contact:

Re: Garmin 78s

#25 Post by Zeus73 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:14 pm

bernGPS wrote:I have a Garmin 78s since last year but hardly used it due to the not so Tidy archieving of the tracks.

This year due to the availability of DEM enabled East malaysian Map, I was compelled to use it.

The problem is that the Unit will hang after using for a couple of hours. It has happened to me 3 times where the display is stuck at a location. Anyone else having the same problem?
Check and see if your unit is having the latest firmware.

Check this out.

User avatar
bartmp8
Senior Mapper
Posts: 3088
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:35 pm
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)
Location: Sandakan
Contact:

Re: Garmin 78s

#26 Post by bartmp8 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:45 am

bernGPS wrote:I have a Garmin 78s since last year but hardly used it due to the not so Tidy archieving of the tracks.

This year due to the availability of DEM enabled East malaysian Map, I was compelled to use it.

The problem is that the Unit will hang after using for a couple of hours. It has happened to me 3 times where the display is stuck at a location. Anyone else having the same problem?
Boss Congratulations, you got a lemon. I'll take it off your hands for RM0.99

build6
Regular
Regular
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:41 pm
GPS: nüvi 255w (SG/MY localized)
GPSMAP 76CSx
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: GPSmap 78 series

#27 Post by build6 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:36 am

this thread is pretty quiet... the 78s is not popular?

User avatar
SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 4925
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:54 pm
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra
Contact:

Re: GPSmap 78 series

#28 Post by SilverBeauty » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:29 pm

Guess most bros and sistas here are land based thus prefers 60CsX, Etrex handhelds :mrgreen:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest