Malsing Maps for Garmin Fenix GPS watch

Discussions on Garmin eTrex, GPSMap60, GPSMap76, Rino & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

A320driver
GPS: GPS 12, GPS III pilot, MobileXT, Oregon 300, Zumo 220, Montana 600, Fenix

Malsing Maps for Garmin Fenix GPS watch

#1 Post by A320driver » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi,

Would it be possible for someone to compile a low resolution map of MY & SG for the Garmin Fenix?

It is possible to change the basemap inside the Fenix to a custom map. I have succeeded in loading the Singapore map already.

See also these instructions;
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f296/fenix ... 50618.html

The memory is limited of the Fenix. So ideally we are looking for a map of 5 MB max. the smaller the better.

Most of the POI's can be omitted and only the town names are relevant I think. Also the smallest zoom levels can be deleted and thus it would maybe be possible to have a custom map for Malsingmap members.

Any thoughts? Anybody can compile a map for the Fenix owners?

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

Re: Malsing Maps for Garmin Fenix GPS watch

#2 Post by bartmp8 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:41 pm

A320driver wrote:Hi,

Would it be possible for someone to compile a low resolution map of MY & SG for the Garmin Fenix?

It is possible to change the basemap inside the Fenix to a custom map. I have succeeded in loading the Singapore map already.

The memory is limited of the Fenix. So ideally we are looking for a map of 5 MB max. the smaller the better.

Most of the POI's can be omitted and only the town names are relevant I think. Also the smallest zoom levels can be deleted and thus it would maybe be possible to have a custom map for Malsingmap members.

Realistically, I don't think they will release a low resolution or "gutted" map devoid of POIs just for 1 user.
Besides, POIs on it own does not take up as much space as polygons etc. Since you can load SG map,
maybe the way to go would be to load individual tiles of MSM via Mapsource. Choose what tiles you need
and load.

A320driver

#3 Post by A320driver » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:15 pm

Thanks for your reply.

The whole mapset of malsingmaps consists of about 8 tiles. I have loaded the singapore tile only and that works. Albeit a bit slow because of the slow CPU inside the Fenix. I can't load any smaller tile. The idea of having a 'gutted' map is just for a basemap purpose. The Fenix comes with a world map (hardly any detail for Asia). But why not have a MY/SG map for local users. I don't think it would take a lot of effort for the map makers to omit a few zoom levels. When I look in Mapsource and set the zoom to 2 km, I think that would be an ideal mapset. No POI's for any zoom more than 2 km. So basically a mapset from 100 km to 2 km zoom level.

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

#4 Post by bartmp8 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:14 pm

A320driver wrote:Thanks for your reply.

The whole mapset of malsingmaps consists of about 8 tiles. I have loaded the singapore tile only and that works. Albeit a bit slow because of the slow CPU inside the Fenix. I can't load any smaller tile. The idea of having a 'gutted' map is just for a basemap purpose. The Fenix comes with a world map (hardly any detail for Asia). But why not have a MY/SG map for local users. I don't think it would take a lot of effort for the map makers to omit a few zoom levels. When I look in Mapsource and set the zoom to 2 km, I think that would be an ideal mapset. No POI's for any zoom more than 2 km. So basically a mapset from 100 km to 2 km zoom level.
As a Mapper, I use Mapedit to do the .mp file which is used in compiling the map. I don't know what is done
after the .mp level (i.e what Admin does to our mapedit file to make the map) but as far as mapedit is concerned,
its not so easy to "gut" a map because we map at 1 layer. If you want the whole of MSM to be under 5mb, I guess
we got to take out all polygons, river digitisations, each POIs. Sometimes when we delete such digitisations, we need
to tidy up all broken nodes and basically comb the coastlines with a fine tooth comb.

To cut the story short, it is possible but I don't think it will happen at the .mp level. Maybe if you ask Admin
(Taiko Wsian) nicely, maybe he has a magic wand to make it all happen without all the man (or woman) hours needed
to do it manually. Never hurt to try. Then again I'm a Noob when it comes to programming or using progs like mapedit.
I only know how to use it and know nuts about how or why it works. Lets see if some of the other expert Bros can
enlighten you more :wink:

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)

#5 Post by ace » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:35 pm

I have a question to ask TS..

Since you said the world map is practically useless, why don't you just remove it from your device and saved it on your computer or some secure place?

I'm sure it will give you more usable space to store a bigger size map..

And if other files inside are just squatting on real estate without doing much work, I guess you can evict those as well. :-$ :-# :lol: :mrgreen:
I don't have free fish......

A320driver

#6 Post by A320driver » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:58 am

The world basemap is only 600kb. And yes, removed from the device. Since there can only be 1 gmapbmap.img file and I renamed the malsingmaps singapore tile.

Anybody has an idea on how to create such a map?

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#7 Post by SilverBeauty » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:00 pm

A320driver wrote:The world basemap is only 600kb. And yes, removed from the device. Since there can only be 1 gmapbmap.img file and I renamed the malsingmaps singapore tile.

Anybody has an idea on how to create such a map?

Creation of Garmin compatible maps requires you have a map creation software and lots of inspiration and perspiration :mrgreen: Access our wiki section, mapping reference for some info on how to start

Link: http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.p ... =Main_Page

gordonjohn
GPS: Garmin Fenix

#8 Post by gordonjohn » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:35 pm

A320driver wrote:Hi,

Hope this may answer your question. http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/maps-garmin-fenix

cheers :cheers: