Garmin on iPhone/iPad!!!

Moderator: Moderators

waypoint
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Trimble Ensign.Foretrex 101/401.Etrex H/Vista HCx.Nuvi 255W/205.NOKIA E72.iPad 64GB 3G.

Garmin on iPhone/iPad!!!

#1 Post by waypoint » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:35 am

"Heroes are born when bullets fly, when the earth explodes, when cannons roar, When Trumpets Fade."

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

Re: Garmin on iPhone/iPad!!!

#2 Post by SilverBeauty » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:27 pm

Potential users, take note !

The map is not stored in device but in "Garmin" server thus when roaming, consumes GPRS data which means :$gone: :$gone: :$gone: :ko:

•ALWAYS THE LATEST MAPS. Garmin StreetPilot® uses the same premium quality City Navigator® NT map data available for Garmin’s nüvi® product line. Map data loads directly from the Garmin servers, so your maps are always up-to-date. Due to its small file size, StreetPilot loads quickly – ready to go when you are!
UNQUOTE

nyem
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: nuvi

#3 Post by nyem » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:58 am

Not yet listed in Malaysian app store. When available which map will be used - MSM or other provider?

Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi 765 SG/MY

#4 Post by 168 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:53 am

Anyone bought ?
Seems only usable in U.S and Canada.

Features include:

-Always up-to-date maps for the U.S. and Canada

UNQUOTE

I won't buy although price is reasonable but too bad it cant use offline map !

lost4ever
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 370 & 765

Garmin Streetpilot for the iPhone ... finally

#5 Post by lost4ever » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:23 pm

Garmin has finally seen the light, a little late to the game and way behind in features. Biggest issue is that it has gone the google way of not putting the map on the device. This means we can't load MSM onto it. So will any of you get it?

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/06/driving- ... phone-app/
Citius Altius Fortius

adrianyujs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
GPS: Nuvi 205W/1350/1460/3790
HP Ipaq HX2750 + Holux GPSlim 236
Nokia 5800 + Garmin XT S60 / Mapking R12

Re: Garmin Streetpilot for the iPhone ... finally

#6 Post by adrianyujs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:19 pm

lost4ever wrote:Garmin has finally seen the light, a little late to the game and way behind in features. Biggest issue is that it has gone the google way of not putting the map on the device. This means we can't load MSM onto it. So will any of you get it?

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/06/driving- ... phone-app/
already discussed :D

lost4ever
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#7 Post by lost4ever » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:41 am

Does anyone of us have the know-how to write a MSM-app? :-' Or work with Garmin TW to tweak Streetpilot to work with a pre-loaded map. I don't mind paying more to get a pre-loaded map. It's either we pay the telco or Garmin. The latter is a better choice in my mind, as it'll give me the flexibility of having a map even though I don't have a signal. Furthermore, the cost is fixed rather than variable if I need to download all the time. I guess it all depends on the volume of usage and where one is using it. I tend to use my GPS far more when I travel in US and Europe then when I'm in Singapore.

Am disappointed with Garmin's half-hearted attempt to build a iPhone app. Seems to be that they are still very worried about cannibalizing their bread and butter products. Take Google's latest app, it comes with public transport options. It even provides the time of the next bus/train in cities that provide that information. For a traveler in a foreign land with foreign language, it reduces the stress of getting around. It makes paying the data-charges worthwhile. =D>
Citius Altius Fortius

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#8 Post by SilverBeauty » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:40 pm

lost4ever wrote:Does anyone of us have the know-how to write a MSM-app? :-' Or work with Garmin TW to tweak Streetpilot to work with a pre-loaded map. I don't mind paying more to get a pre-loaded map. It's either we pay the telco or Garmin. The latter is a better choice in my mind, as it'll give me the flexibility of having a map even though I don't have a signal. Furthermore, the cost is fixed rather than variable if I need to download all the time. I guess it all depends on the volume of usage and where one is using it. I tend to use my GPS far more when I travel in US and Europe then when I'm in Singapore.

Am disappointed with Garmin's half-hearted attempt to build a iPhone app. Seems to be that they are still very worried about cannibalizing their bread and butter products. Take Google's latest app, it comes with public transport options. It even provides the time of the next bus/train in cities that provide that information. For a traveler in a foreign land with foreign language, it reduces the stress of getting around. It makes paying the data-charges worthwhile. =D>

Bro lost4ever, the firmware is controller by Garmin. You will need source code for this task ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) Alternative is to :-$ :mrgreen:

One thing about convergence devices is that battery life sucks and also if a call comes in it sometimes screws up or hangs the current application.

So best thing is to stick to your Nuvi :thumbsup:

My 3790T has as much frequent flier miles as myself. Loaded with maps, it is my frequent companion in my offshore trips.

Buy one of those emergency battery pack as per pic ( rated 5000mA, same size as my BB9800 ) and the Nuvi will last whole day. It even can simultaneously charge my BB or other gadgets ...
Attachments
MaxPower e500i.jpg

lost4ever
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#9 Post by lost4ever » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:48 am

Good tip Silverbeauty! My trusted 3790 is also with me now in Houston TX!
Citius Altius Fortius

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#10 Post by SilverBeauty » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:12 am

lost4ever wrote:Good tip Silverbeauty! My trusted 3790 is also with me now in Houston TX!

One more thing you need to know, you will need to bring your 3790 "dock" ie... the unit with the speaker and docks to your suction cup mount.
Why I say this is that if you use the micro USB port on the Nuvi, it will go to data mode and you cannot use it.
Using the dock, you can use a more readily available mini USB port and it will not go to data mode.
Attachments
Garmin Nuvi 3790T Mount a.jpg
Garmin Nuvi 3790T Mount a.jpg (8.05 KiB) Viewed 4422 times