Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:32 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 7XX hotfix
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:57 am 

GPS: Etrex Legend -> Nuvi 350 -> Nuvi 7x5T
I have a nuvi 7xx series.
Recently connected my Nuvi to my PC to update the maps.

On its own, Garmin Express was downloaded and I was advised to upgrade the firmware and there were 2 hotfixes for the GPS chip inside - which I did.
Must say that after the hotfix upgrade, its capability to get a location fix seems faster!
I was about 1 metre away from a window and amazingly the Nuvi managed to get a location fix. I'm impressed. Before the hotfix, it would never be able to find any location unless I moved it much nearer the window.

On the other hand, I'm not very impressed by Garmin Express. You can now upgrade your maps to the Nuvi unit only. Unless the Nuvi unit is full, it will not update to the SD card or the PC itself.
Incidentally, I decided to delete some old maps from Mapsource via Control Panel/Garmin maps - and irritatingly mapsource also got deleted.

:fire: :fire: :fire:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:02 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
Read some comments on the internet discussion forums that this Garmin Express has some bugs...eeks!! I hate bugs. :-$

It is recommend in a post not to install or if installed, to remove it.

With regard to map install for Nuvi, I think generally it will install to the Nuvi itself first. This logic is not wrong, in my opinion.
Only if there is insufficient space on the device, would the installer recommend that the map update be on a SD card.

Don't understand that part where Mapsource get deleted because you removed some old maps. I've removed some maps before via the Program removal option in Control Panel. My mapsource is still functioning. I guess you could have done something wrong, possibly?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:05 pm 

I guess what I'm saying is that Garmin Express has its advantages in that it gives me the option of updating the firmware with the hotfixes which I would probably never know about.

As for the map updates, I always like to have the maps installed on my PC and the SD card in the Nuvi.
The reason is because I like to plan routes on my PC. With the maps installed only to the Nuvi, I cannot plan routes anymore unless the Nuvi is connected to the PC!
I prefer maps installed onto the SD card because I had an incident where after a map update directly to the Nuvi unit, the Nuvi unit became a brick. It could start up but kept rebooting. I had to shipped it to Taiwan for service and it cost me almost US$150! The only reason I repaired it because if I add the cost of a Nuvi and the lifetime map updates, it is cheaper to just service the unit.

I am sure that I deleted only the old maps ie before 2011 - and I found mapsource gone! Or maybe I made a mistake? But just in case - be warned!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:57 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Garmin NĂ¼vi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
estima12 wrote:
<snip>
Incidentally, I decided to delete some old maps from Mapsource via Control Panel/Garmin maps - and irritatingly mapsource also got deleted. <snip>

:fire: :fire: :fire:

If I am not wrong, if you had OEM maps purchased ( mapsource version ) and used mapsource to transfer maps to Nuvi, then if you delete the maps in Nuvi it will also delete the map in mapsource on lappy if they are sync. Think this is due to licensing as both linked.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:29 pm 

Thank you.

That probably explains it.
Yes I did delete the original maps that came with the Nuvi!

Luckily I managed to reinstall mapsource - after a desperate search via google!

thanks again for the explanation.

:tq: