Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:52 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:00 pm 

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 660
:bike: Hi to all,

I have just bought a HONDA that comes with Honda's navigation system. It is actually a GARMIN unit tweaked for HONDA with some functionality modified for HONDA.

There is a SD card slot with Honda's SD card preloaded with "Malsingmap" but it is an old map. I would like to download and copy a new map to another SD card. I duplicated the files onto a new SD card but it does not work after I put it into my HONDA GPS. Can anyone help?

Even if I do a straight copy with nothing added to another SD card, it just cannot be read by the GPS. Are there hidden files that I could not copy?

To replace the Honda Malsingmap with an updated Malsingmap, that is another challenge. Nothing works. Can anyone help?

The Honda SD card has two components. Garmin folder and a panasonic file. (Please see the attached.)

Garmin folder is also attached.

Would appreciate any advice, please. :drive:

okayguy

Attachments:
File comment: The files inside the Garmin Folder
hondaGarmin.JPG
hondaGarmin.JPG [ 43.67 KiB | Viewed 1570 times ]
File comment: Root directory in the Honda SD card
HondaSD card.JPG
HondaSD card.JPG [ 11.76 KiB | Viewed 1570 times ]
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:42 am 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
I have a Toyota that came with an ICE incorporating Garmin Navigation system ( also a Panasonic Unit ). It is preloaded with Garmin NT map 2011.40 an old map.

Map is loaded in SD card /garmin folder, with similar files as what you have. I duplicated all files onto another SD card and replaced the MSM map under file name gmapprom.img into SD card. Works fine for me. You can also add maps under file name gmapprom1.img and gmapsupp.img, in the same SD card /garmin folder, making it a total of 3 maps if you like.

After loading maps, load SD card, ICE will reboot and load maps. You then go to Main Navigation Menu, select Tools icon and select Map, Map Info and make sure new map is selected ( tic )

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:13 pm 

I have duplicated the original SD card on to a new card and even though I had not added or altered any file, the GPS displayed a message: "Cannot read Map data. Please confirm SD card"

I suspect the original SD card had been encoded ?

Has anyone with similar experience?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:07 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575, Papaga N1, iGo, 5800, M1200, M1000B/C
When that happen is the GPS showing the base map (Gmapbmap.img - an empty World Map)? If yes, use Gmaptool to list Gmapprom.img to see if it is locked.

Locked map have a 'L' at prio field.

XXXXXXXX NT 12345678 1 3456 11 L 1 6789 Malaysia

If it is locked this could be the reason for not showing in the new SD card because the Unlock code is tied to the original SD card ID.

You may try to copy a MSM map (not lock) into the new SD card Garmin folder to see if it will show. Use Gmapsupp.img as filename.

Hope this helps and do feedback your finding to help others... Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:23 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
Don't know about your car ICE ? Purchased in Sin or My ?

My car ICE, original Garmin map is locked to map via a unl file. Not locked to SD card ID. I copied everything from SD card except the Garmin map file gmapprom.img and gmapprom.unl. All I did was to replaced the preloaded OEM map file gmapprom.img with the MSM map gmapsupp.img ( rename it gmapprom.img ) and it worked.

The ICE does not have any capability to put maps in main memory. When you remove SD card, it will shut down the Garmin Navigational program and prompt an error message "No SD card found".

You have to put a SD card with a valid map else it will prompt as what you reported " Cannot read Map data. Please confirm SD card"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:58 pm 

Thank you guys for your advice. U have tried using "unlocked" malsingmap but it still does not work.

I contacted my car sales agent. (My car is purchased in Sing) He told me that Honda has put in a passcode into the SD card. So even if I try to copy all files to a blank SD card, the GPS would not read it as the new SD card does not carry the password. And when Honda updates my Malsingmap, I would have to pay for it!

We all contribute to Malsingmap to make it as great as it is and now Honda would charge me for it! Sigh!

I have no idea how to even input any passcode into a new SD card. Nor do I know what is the original Honda SD Card passcode!

Anyone with any ideas would be appreciated. :nutz: :ko:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:11 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575, Papaga N1, iGo, 5800, M1200, M1000B/C
It's sad that Honda does that... We won't go on to discuss on how you can navigate through this as it is our policy to respect the IP of others.

Try Google n Good luck...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

GPS: SIRFstar III
okayguy wrote:
... have tried using "unlocked" malsingmap but it still does not work.

Just to confirm,
- is the original Honda SD card locked dead to read only? Can you copy files into it?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:03 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
okayguy wrote:
Thank you guys for your advice. U have tried using "unlocked" malsingmap but it still does not work.

I contacted my car sales agent. (My car is purchased in Sing) He told me that Honda has put in a passcode into the SD card. So even if I try to copy all files to a blank SD card, the GPS would not read it as the new SD card does not carry the password. And when Honda updates my Malsingmap, I would have to pay for it!

We all contribute to Malsingmap to make it as great as it is and now Honda would charge me for it! Sigh!

I have no idea how to even input any passcode into a new SD card. Nor do I know what is the original Honda SD Card passcode!

Anyone with any ideas would be appreciated. :nutz: :ko:

Probably the ICE is locked to original SD card ID. Did you try as Bro MoeyHC advises on the original SD card? As bro wsian mentions are you able to write new files onto the original SD card ? Is the lock button set to locked or is the lock button present on one side of the SD card ?

If you can delete / write files, then backup ALL files in the SD card. Then move the Gmapsupp.img and Gmapsupp.unl out of the SD card /garmin directory. Copy the MSM NT map file gmapsupp.img into the SD card /garmin directory. Then rename the gmapsupp.img to gmapprom.img. See if this works. :-k

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:06 pm 

Thank you all for your advice.

I am reluctant to tamper with the original Honda SD card and I am worried that copying out or into this card may render it useless for some unknown reason. That is why I would prefer to work on a duplicate SD card as back up.

I can understand moeyHC's concern about IP but the card contains legitimate map and it is completely outdated. I drove to a common local attraction a few days ago and the malsingmap on the Honda GPS showed vacant land with no roads. You can imagine my frustration.

I have no intention to use any illegal map or locked map so there would not be any problem with others' intellectual property.

I am just hoping that I can place an unlocked malsingmap onto my SD card. Wishing for a solution soon.

Thank you very much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :wave: :wave: