The Nuvi 370

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

lost4ever
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 370 & 765

The Nuvi 370

#1 Post by lost4ever » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:41 pm

AT LAST! =D> I've got my nuvi 370! Bought it on Amazon for US$445. :mrgreen:

Reason why I bought this is that I spend a substantial time in the US for work and am planning a break in Italy and France end of the year, and therefore the maps should come in handy.

Initial observations:
1) It takes about 25-30secs to start-up - from switching it on to when the Disclaimer pops up. I'm not sure if that's to do with having to load up the huge US and European maps. Will need to experiment by switching off the pre-loaded maps and loading only Malsing and see if it's any faster.

2) The autozoom feature can't be disabled in the track-up mode and that's rather irritating because I can't gauge distance property.

3) The A-B-C sorted keyboard slows down users who are more used to QWERTY keyboards.

4) The sound is solid - I like the TTS - it's hilarious but quite accurate in most cases.

5) The backlit is mostly bright enough except around noon when the sun comes directly down on the dashboard and makes the screen a little difficult to see.

On the whole, my BH likes the Nuvi for it's simplicity. As more myself, I'm beginning to miss my GMXT. The Nuvi feels rather dumbed-down when compared to Que and GMXT - somehow feel I don't have enough options to meddle with. Well, looks like I need to save up for another Christmas present.

Well, I need to go POI a bit. Does anyone out there have a 370?
Citius Altius Fortius

trajet2b
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: 60CSx, 10X, Nuvi3597LMT, Kenwood DNX9170S

Re: nuvi 370

#2 Post by trajet2b » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:39 pm

thanks bro lost.

Hmm.....if i were you, i would wait another 3 months. The Nuvi 700 series can do tracklogs and take in 10 planned routes.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=10625

The cheapest of the 700 series, Nuvi 750 is about US$200 more than your 370.
viewtopic.php?p=9304#p9304

can you also download the new locked all in one gmapsupp, as the previous version some say got problem with abbreviated road names for JHR/SG.

lost4ever
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#3 Post by lost4ever » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:00 pm

trajet2b wrote:thanks bro lost.

Hmm.....if i were you, i would wait another 3 months. The Nuvi 700 series can do tracklogs and take in 10 planned routes.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=10625

The cheapest of the 700 series, Nuvi 750 is about US$200 more than your 370.
viewtopic.php?p=9304#p9304
Alas - I booked the 370 just days before they announced the 700 series. I was actually watching it 'live' on CNBC in Seoul when they interviewed the Garmin guy last Thurs but he didn't give enough details of the 700. Well at least wait if a Santa Claus will come around with a 700. :mrgreen:
trajet2b wrote:can you also download the new locked all in one gmapsupp, as the previous version some say got problem with abbreviated road names for JHR/SG.
Heh, have not contributed any POIs yet ... so haven't asked for unlock key yet. :mrgreen:
Citius Altius Fortius

jumbocrap
Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi 270
eMap

#4 Post by jumbocrap » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:43 am

lost4ever wrote:2) The autozoom feature can't be disabled in the track-up mode and that's rather irritating because I can't gauge distance property.
I got the 270 instead - the cheapest unit with both maps. I also have problems judging distances initially, but realised that the distance to turn is shown on the lower right corner. You need to learn to trust that figure instead of judging distance based on looking at the actual map.

trajet2b
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: 60CSx, 10X, Nuvi3597LMT, Kenwood DNX9170S

#5 Post by trajet2b » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:11 am

lost4ever wrote:Alas - I booked the 370 just days before they announced the 700 series. I was actually watching it 'live' on CNBC in Seoul when they interviewed the Garmin guy last Thurs but he didn't give enough details of the 700. Well at least wait if a Santa Claus will come around with a 700. :mrgreen:
bro lost,

Your Santa Claus just bought a 10X yesterday. His second unit in a few months, Now he is busy playing with his new HTC. :lol:

So probably when the 700 arrives, he need to play with it first. :mrgreen:

lost4ever
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#6 Post by lost4ever » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:44 am

trajet2b wrote: bro lost,

Your Santa Claus just bought a 10X yesterday. His second unit in a few months, Now he is busy playing with his new HTC. :lol:

So probably when the 700 arrives, he need to play with it first. :mrgreen:
Bro Trajet - I thot he just sold his 10x liao!! Now he buys another one?!? I think he's bored at home looking after his latest newborn "reindeer". :mrgreen:
Citius Altius Fortius

jaguar
Councillor
Councillor
GPS: Nuvi 310, 60CSx, 10x

#7 Post by jaguar » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:26 am

Shh...... :-$ When you meet me and my BH next time... just say "Ace loaned it to me.... ya ?" :-$

I just used it to collect some 'most often' threads yesterday... let's see how it stand out... as I hooked the 10x to the windscreen wiper... :wink:
Look on the bright side ya? :muak:

lost4ever
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#8 Post by lost4ever » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:15 pm

jumbocrap wrote:You need to learn to trust that figure instead of judging distance based on looking at the actual map.
Indeed Jumbo. Have to train myself to look at the bottom right corner. Thanks for sharing.
jaguar wrote:Shh...... :-$ When you meet me and my BH next time... just say "Ace loaned it to me.... ya ?" :-$

I just used it to collect some 'most often' threads yesterday... let's see how it stand out... as I hooked the 10x to the windscreen wiper... :wink:
Mr Jaguar, you are asking me to fib to your wife?!? Hmmm ... being a dependable person, and a good friend of yours, I'm open to negotiations. :mrgreen: In the meantime, my warmest congratulations to her.
Citius Altius Fortius

tch
GPS: Garmin Nuvi370

Nuvi 370: POIs not shown automatically during journeys...

#9 Post by tch » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:24 pm

hello everyone...

I've just bought the Garmin Nuvi 370. I noticed that the POIs do not appear spontaneously during journeys, unlike those in others e.g. Tom Tom. I visited several forums and many other users are also complaining about this. I got different views: some say feature of POIs appearing spontaneously is not supported in Garmin; others say one need to zoom in and out (while driving!) to see the POIs. I tried the latter (when not driving) and sure enough it was true. In Tom Tom, the POIs appear nicely w/o any manipulation during driving. I can't imagine Garmin overlooked this critical functionality. If so, it appears that Garmin does not seem to care enough about its customers' lives, if its systems require drivers to mess around with its gadgets while driving.

Any of you have similar experiences? Or, is there some tweaking to be done? :tq:

Moved from "Maps & POIs Discussions » Garmin Maps". More about Nuvi 370 issues. --sabre23t 5sep07

lost4ever
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Nuvi 370: POIs not shown automatically during journeys...

#10 Post by lost4ever » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:56 pm

Hi tch. I've just got my 370 a couple of days ago so I'm far less of an expert with it than you are. Have you tried displaying more detail under the Settings/Map/Map Detail option? The autozoom feature does make it a little difficult sometimes to fix the zoom option under the Track Up option. Have you tried 3D?
Citius Altius Fortius