Garmin - General Discussion - Part 4

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

edgarchen
Community POI leader
Community POI leader
GPS: nil

General Discussion - Part 4

#221 Post by edgarchen » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:10 pm

The image involved copyright infringement. I read in Formula 1 main website. [-X
Therefore I have it removed on this forum.
Last edited by edgarchen on Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone contribute a bit, eventually we can enjoy and benefit more in our navigation. :thumbsup:

SOSweet
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: Nuvi 200W, Omnia II + GMXT

Re: Garmin - General Discussion - Part 4

#222 Post by SOSweet » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:01 am

Bro edgarchen, nice art work. :thumbsup:
Can had the car side view or 30 degree view ?
HEALTHY LIVING :
Eat Less - Salt & Sugar
Do More - Exercises & Good Deeds

wylie194
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 310 & O2 XDA Orbit II

OEM Auto GPS HU

#223 Post by wylie194 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:29 am

I recently installed an OEM Witson model W2-D720V auotmotive GPS HU into my ride. It came with WIN CE 5.0 aand runs with IGO8 GPS software. However, I am so used to the garmin series software & malsing maps. I am wondering if there's any possibility of running either garmin XT or the older garminque & gps proxy on WIN CE 5.0 so I can use malsing ?

Appreciate your input.

tks
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: iPhone 5, Nuvi 1250

Re: POI Icons not shown in U.S. purchased Nuvi

#224 Post by tks » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:56 am

kploh wrote:today I go through WIKI and other topic pertaining to POI display.
after that, I am understand that all the NUVI set bottom sticker write "Design in USA, Made In taiwan". the nuvi set is made in taiwan but not meaning to say it is taiwan version. I get very useful information from old thread. Malsingmaps Old forum and old thread has very much information for us to refer. Before I bought my nuvi 255w, I thought my nuvi 255w all are same, same as my friend's nuvi 255w which bought in taiwan. but I am wrong, before I bought it I should refer to this website first. Now I has already bought it, cannot be refund anymore. Now I just hope Garmin will annouce new firmware update with POI view feature, If few month later no news at all (I have already send a request mail to Garmin US, eagerly wait for reply), I will sell my nuvi and get another taiwan version nuvi. but I don't know which shop in singapore has sell taiwan version nuvi or indonesia version nuvi, can anybody give some advice ?
Hi kploh,

Just to clarify, my comparison between local (firmware will show: Indonesia) and Taiwan (firmware shows: Taiwan) versions with US version in terms of POI display during navigation, which you referred to, is only for the Nuvi 200/200W and 700 series. I have no idea if this difference continues to exist in the new 2x5 series. Does it? Can you confirm?

viewtopic.php?p=92432#p92432

Sad to inform you, I don't think Garmin will respond favourably to your email. This is because this non-display of POIs in navigation mode does not affect the bulk of Garmin users in the US, Europe and even in this part of the world if they are using official Garmin maps. It only affects those of us who are using Malsingmaps so I don't think they will bother. In fact, the removal of POIs during navigation is supposed to be an upgrade. I explain in more detail here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10567&p=99842&hilit ... ode#p99842

kploh
Regular
Regular
GPS: Sell Old buy New

#225 Post by kploh » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:03 am

tks wrote: Hi kploh,
Just to clarify, my comparison between local......
Hi bro tks,
Thanks 4 ur advise. My nuvi 255w can show partial POI during navigation but not all. Compare with my friend's 255w taiwan, can show all the POI. mine only can view "AXS", "SAM"..etc. I think that even if Garmin disable the POI display feature for nuvi series, our mapper here may change the POIs type of Malsingmaps here in order POIs are displayed during navigation. Mappers can be found out why "AXS" & "SAM" can be shown, may be the level setting for this POI can be view during navigation. Thus, If all the POIs change to this level, Finally even US version nuvi All able to display POI during navigation. Dear Mappers, Please correct me if I'm wrong.
:mrgreen:

futra
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 205
"Piano-Black" Edition

Re: Garmin - General Discussion - Part 4

#226 Post by futra » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:15 am

I second that. I've been thinking about it too, since my US 205 shows a few POIs such as schools, temples, mosques.. during navigation. It could be the category type or viewable level for it too. Once the mappers find a way to get around this, like u said, every nuvi can show POIs while navigating. :)
:: Garmin Nüvi 205 ::

Rosman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
GPS: Nüvi 710, Nüvi 200W, GMPC on Q1U with 10x, GMXT on N6110, Omnia and Innov8

#227 Post by Rosman » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:19 pm

kploh wrote:Hi bro tks,
Thanks 4 ur advise. My nuvi 255w can show partial POI during navigation but not all. Compare with my friend's 255w taiwan, can show all the POI. mine only can view "AXS", "SAM"..etc. I think that even if Garmin disable the POI display feature for nuvi series, our mapper here may change the POIs type of Malsingmaps here in order POIs are displayed during navigation. Mappers can be found out why "AXS" & "SAM" can be shown, may be the level setting for this POI can be view during navigation. Thus, If all the POIs change to this level, Finally even US version nuvi All able to display POI during navigation. Dear Mappers, Please correct me if I'm wrong.
:mrgreen:
For "AXS" & "SAM" POIs, they are from Bro edgarchen's threat, right?
These POIs are "Extras" and not in the original map, right?
Save the Earth. We have nowhere else to go!

kennicks
GPS: ◄GARMIŃ™►
e90 GMXT + nüvi® 205W

Nuvi (SIN/MAL) Problem !

#228 Post by kennicks » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:11 pm

i have contact GARMIN Regarding the Following issue ,

1. Error Turn Indication Icon Show (inverted direction show on upper left corner)
2. Error Voice on British English V2.30 (wrong distance calculation prompt 1st Exit Instead of 3rd Exit)
3. Lower Firmware Version between US & MAL/SIN (2.10 vs 4.10)

and they reply as follow : - WORDS in RED from GARMIN

Thanks for contacting GARMIN corp.

1. I'm sorry that the map from http://www.malsingmaps.com is not Garmin authorized mapping product. We have no ways to provide our support for this mapping program. Please kindly understand about this.
If you want to purchase Garmin map, please contact our dealer AECO in Malaysia.

!!??!! why not the US Nuvi version got such bugs on MSM map? only mal/sin got uch bugs? i think must be something wrong on the mal/sing version nuvi

2. Since your unit is SING/MAL version, it can't support British English voice file. We've tested British English voice file with Asian version units, and the situation we met is like yours. If possible, please use American English instead. Thanks for your understanding in advance.

:nutz: the british voice is preloaded in the webupdater. if it can't support my nuvi .. plz remove from it.. :ko: Garmin provide it but themself not ensure it's bugsfree or not...at the end got problem then only say this and say that.

3. The software of US nuvi and Sing/May nuvi are different. The latest software version for nuvi205w SING/MAL is Ver 2.10. Since your unit is Sing/May version, you can't update from Garmin US website. You will need to contact the local dealer for updating the unit software. The dealer's information is listed below.

every mal/sing nuvi user knew V2.10 got lot bugs, but they don care to give up to date version.

Best regards,

Denise Ting
Marketing Dept, GARMIN Corp.
Add: No. 68, Jangshu 2nd Road, Shijr, Taipei County 221, Taiwan
Tel: 02-2642-8999 Ext: 6866

izit mean that for all Mal/Sin malsingmaps Nuvi users have to face the fate of using this device with bugs and error without solving n give a solution to us ? :nutz:

or i think garmin simply just wana ignore the small market in our region, without concerning our pain of using their bugy device ! :shock:
Last edited by kennicks on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
= NO CONTRIBUTORS NO UPDATED MAP =
[::God Says:"Giving instead of Receiving"::]

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

Re: Nuvi (SIN/MAL) Problem !

#229 Post by Redstorm » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:37 pm

This thread is locked as it has exceeded twenty pages. Please continue with your discussion in Part 5 here. Thank you.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P