The Nuvi 200W - Part 5

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

low4
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: Dopod_D810 + GMXT.
Nuvi 650,
Holux m241

Re: The Nuvi 200W - Part 5

#21 Post by low4 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:11 pm

jumpstat wrote:Just to update. After going through all those unwanted files and deleting them, I managed to free approximately 45mb. So I uploaded the malsingmap into the main memory next to the US preloaded ones and hey I still have approximately 24mb left for other stuff. What I gather is that loading of maps is faster and also zooming in and out improved alot.

Also put in the speed trap poi and other useful poi's. So far so good and with the large screen interface more useful IMO. Since tonight is saturday night, I might just cruise around later tonight and see how well the alert works.

Questions...
1) For JPEG, can the unit view the jpegs on the card or only those downloaded into the main memory of /JPEG directory only? Both

2) In Map Info, why does it show three maps like so..

[1] GM-Malaysia/Singapore version 2.15

[1] GM-Malaysia/Singapore version 2.15

[1] City Navigator Lower 48 states NT2008. Due to mapper's setting

And to 'tick' or not to 'tick' the pick boxers? Tick the map you gonna use

TIA
岂能尽如人意,但求无愧吾心。- 刘四

udaloy
Regular
Regular
GPS: Legend C

#22 Post by udaloy » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:44 pm

I have maps loaded in the Internal memory as well as in the SD card. Last night, with the GPS on, I was ejecting and inserting, about 10 times, the SD Card, to see the difference in the MAP INFO.

This morning, when i was using it for Navigation, all the maps are gone. In MAP INFO, the maps are listed, and checked. Exhausted all my knowledge so I had to reload the GARMIN folder from my backup.

Now, I would think the correct way to eject or insert the SD card is when the GPS is powered down. :wink:

tlchuan
Junior Mapper
GPS: 10x, Oregon 300, 255w(retire) 2575RLM

#23 Post by tlchuan » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:56 pm

udaloy wrote:with the GPS on, I was ejecting and inserting, about 10 times, the SD Card, to see the difference in the MAP INFO.
:ko: :ko: :ko: :nutz: :nutz: :nutz: brother i am worry about your Sd cards slot if you keep doing that.
Ham Callsign = 9W2KDX
http://9w2kdx.blogspot.com/
Now In Subang Jaya

jumpstat
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 200W

#24 Post by jumpstat » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:33 pm

I was using 200w in mobile mode when reached carpark. Then I went to setting and changed to pedestrian mode but somehow the reading is very slow and dodgy. Is this normal? If not what is the correct operating procedure?

chlesoh
Regular
Regular
GPS: eTrex 30, Nuvi 200, Holux M-241

#25 Post by chlesoh » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:47 pm

The above problem happened to my 200 also. Until today, I am still wondering whether it is related to the software or the map.

This situation will surface in the event that you have just routed to a destination or your position has been "locked" onto the road. I noticed that if my speed is, say below 5-6km/h, the position as shown on the screen won't move till I had moved for a distant or above that speed.

Try this... Run. Once you are above 6+km/h, the icon will move. Alternatively, stop all routing, shut down the GPS then turn it on again. Then, your position won't lock onto the road as your speed won't get above 15km/h (which will prompt the GPS to lock onto the road - from my observation). Thirdly, change it to "Off Road".

Your position actually changes, just that the map doesn't move. If you get back to your car and drive, it'll be back to normal as your car will exceed 5-6km/h easily. I've tried changing to padestrian mode, and all other possible modes before like what you did - but to no avail.

jumpstat
Regular
Regular

#26 Post by jumpstat » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:33 am

chlesoh wrote:The above problem happened to my 200 also. Until today, I am still wondering whether it is related to the software or the map.

This situation will surface in the event that you have just routed to a destination or your position has been "locked" onto the road. I noticed that if my speed is, say below 5-6km/h, the position as shown on the screen won't move till I had moved for a distant or above that speed.

Try this... Run. Once you are above 6+km/h, the icon will move. Alternatively, stop all routing, shut down the GPS then turn it on again. Then, your position won't lock onto the road as your speed won't get above 15km/h (which will prompt the GPS to lock onto the road - from my observation). Thirdly, change it to "Off Road".

Your position actually changes, just that the map doesn't move. If you get back to your car and drive, it'll be back to normal as your car will exceed 5-6km/h easily. I've tried changing to padestrian mode, and all other possible modes before like what you did - but to no avail.
Cheers for the heads up. I thought I was alone, being my first navigator and all.....I will try as you have suggested. Usually it will work if I stop all the routing, then off...on the unit again, it will be ok. I think it is also due to the scale in which the map is shown if it is zoomed in, the map does move when we walk..... :thumbsup:

Only think I really miss is the POI's in 3D view not available.......
Last edited by jumpstat on Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

jumpstat
Regular
Regular

#27 Post by jumpstat » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:39 am

Another problem noticed in 200W version 3.60 US model.

Duplicate of favorite. I find that one or two favorites copies itself and will show a duplicate in the favorite list. So I edit then delete one of them. Switch of then on again, it crops up again. After 2nd time delete, not showing. Happened on two occasions at separate times.

Could it be that because I tick both maps of [1] Malaysia/Singapore V2.15 in Map Info? I have only three maps. (1) is the preloaded US 48 lower states, (2) the preloaded World Map and the Malsing Map in the internal memory aptly named gmapsupp.

TIA

JBNEWGUY_2005
Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi 765 SgMy

#28 Post by JBNEWGUY_2005 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:50 pm

jumpstat wrote:Another problem noticed in 200W version 3.60 US model.
Duplicate of favorite. I find that one or two favorites copies itself and will show a duplicate in the favorite list...
TIA
Duplicate of favorite itself ?? :-? My 200w US without this problem.
But last time, my PC has this Duplicate of "New folder" itself problem, because attack by Virus.
Is Garmin GPSr possible attack by virus also ?? :shock:

futra
Regular
Regular
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 205
"Piano-Black" Edition

#29 Post by futra » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:55 pm

JBNEWGUY_2005 wrote:Duplicate of favorite itself ?? :-? My 200w US without this problem.
But last time, my PC has this Duplicate of "New folder" itself problem, because attack by Virus.
Is Garmin GPSr possible attack by virus also ?? :shock:
Any device connected to the PC that is detected as "Removable Disk" or anything similar can be infected by virus.. be it a pendrive, portable hardisk, memory card (slotted into a card reader), mp3 player, handphones (thru pc suite, activesync, mass storage device) etc..

I believe that "New Folder" is definitely a virus, unless you created it yourself and forgotten to rename it to something else. Try scanning with your antivirus (remember to update it everyday), and you could also set to 'Show hidden files and folders' from the Folder option menu incase you would like to search manually for any suspicious virus.
:: Garmin Nüvi 205 ::

jumpstat
Regular
Regular

#30 Post by jumpstat » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:15 pm

Any device connected to the PC that is detected as "Removable Disk" or anything similar can be infected by virus.. be it a pendrive, portable hardisk, memory card (slotted into a card reader), mp3 player, handphones (thru pc suite, activesync, mass storage device) etc..

I believe that "New Folder" is definitely a virus, unless you created it yourself and forgotten to rename it to something else. Try scanning with your antivirus (remember to update it everyday), and you could also set to 'Show hidden files and folders' from the Folder option menu incase you would like to search manually for any suspicious virus.
Cheers :thumbsup: All good now...