Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:29 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:12 pm 

GPS: GARMIN Nuvi 205
Anyone know what is this file for inside Garmin Nuvi unit? :-?

fs_image.ver

Thanks in advance :prayer:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:35 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM
This thread is a continuation of the Garmin - General Discussion - Part 4 which has been locked as it exceeded 20 pages. Please use this thread to continue with your discussion. Thank you.

Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

Post subject: NUVI (SIN/MAL) Problem !
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:11 pm 

GPS: ◄GARMIŃ™►
e90 GMXT + nüvi® 205W
i have contact GARMIN Regarding the Following issue ,

1. Error Turn Indication Icon Show (inverted direction show on upper left corner)
2. Error Voice on British English V2.30 (wrong distance calculation prompt 1st Exit Instead of 3rd Exit)
3. Lower Firmware Version between US & MAL/SIN (2.10 vs 4.10)

and they reply as follow : - WORDS in RED from GARMIN

Thanks for contacting GARMIN corp.

1. I'm sorry that the map from http://www.malsingmaps.com is not Garmin authorized mapping product. We have no ways to provide our support for this mapping program. Please kindly understand about this.
If you want to purchase Garmin map, please contact our dealer AECO in Malaysia.

!!??!! why not the US Nuvi version got such bugs on MSM map? only mal/sin got uch bugs? i think must be something wrong on the mal/sing version nuvi

2. Since your unit is SING/MAL version, it can't support British English voice file. We've tested British English voice file with Asian version units, and the situation we met is like yours. If possible, please use American English instead. Thanks for your understanding in advance.

the british voice is preloaded in the webupdater. if it can't support my nuvi .. plz remove from it.. Garmin provide it but themself not ensure it's bugsfree or not...at the end got problem then only say this and say that.

3. The software of US nuvi and Sing/May nuvi are different. The latest software version for nuvi205w SING/MAL is Ver 2.10. Since your unit is Sing/May version, you can't update from Garmin US website. You will need to contact the local dealer for updating the unit software. The dealer's information is listed below.

every mal/sing nuvi user knew V2.10 got lot bugs, but they don care to give up to date version.

Best regards,

Denise Ting
Marketing Dept, GARMIN Corp.
Add: No. 68, Jangshu 2nd Road, Shijr, Taipei County 221, Taiwan
Tel: 02-2642-8999 Ext: 6866

izit mean that for all Mal/Sin malsingmaps Nuvi users have to face the fate of using this device with bugs and error without solving n give a solution to us ?

or i think garmin simply just wana ignore the small market in our region, without concerning our pain of using their bugy device !

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:23 pm 
Senior Mapper

GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)
If you are a hot shot businessman, would you help and support another product which
eats into your profit? Sure, they sell you the GPSr but they only get money from you
for it once. Map upgrade however, you have to pay every year. Which product do you
think Garmin will get a bigger profit margin? GPSr or one lousy $10 SD card holding some
half-baked map (which has been copied to death)?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:27 pm 
Site Owner
Site Owner

GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S
You should understand that MSM is just a community effort to make maps which are useable on your Garmin units. Read the disclaimer - the maps are not authorised by Garmin and its use is at your own personal risk. We are just a third party map publisher with no links or support to Garmin.

To ask for official support from Garmin for the use of an unofficial map - you'd know what the answer would be. N O.

I hope users of MSM dont write to Garmin seeking for MSM map related support as it will only attract the wrong kind of attention from Garmin to us.

Asking for support relating to hardware should be fine though - regardless of where u bought your unit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:45 pm 
Regular
Regular

GPS: Legend C
kennicks wrote:
i have contact GARMIN Regarding the Following issue ,

1. Error Turn Indication Icon Show (inverted direction show on upper left corner)
2. Error Voice on British English V2.30 (wrong distance calculation prompt 1st Exit Instead of 3rd Exit)
3. Lower Firmware Version between US & MAL/SIN (2.10 vs 4.10)

and they reply as follow : - WORDS in RED from GARMIN

Thanks for contacting GARMIN corp.

1. I'm sorry that the map from http://www.malsingmaps.com is not Garmin authorized mapping product. We have no ways to provide our support for this mapping program. Please kindly understand about this.
If you want to purchase Garmin map, please contact our dealer AECO in Malaysia.

!!??!! why not the US Nuvi version got such bugs on MSM map? only mal/sin got uch bugs? i think must be something wrong on the mal/sing version nuvi

2. Since your unit is SING/MAL version, it can't support British English voice file. We've tested British English voice file with Asian version units, and the situation we met is like yours. If possible, please use American English instead. Thanks for your understanding in advance.

the british voice is preloaded in the webupdater. if it can't support my nuvi .. plz remove from it.. Garmin provide it but themself not ensure it's bugsfree or not...at the end got problem then only say this and say that.

3. The software of US nuvi and Sing/May nuvi are different. The latest software version for nuvi205w SING/MAL is Ver 2.10. Since your unit is Sing/May version, you can't update from Garmin US website. You will need to contact the local dealer for updating the unit software. The dealer's information is listed below.

every mal/sing nuvi user knew V2.10 got lot bugs, but they don care to give up to date version.

Best regards,

Denise Ting
Marketing Dept, GARMIN Corp.
Add: No. 68, Jangshu 2nd Road, Shijr, Taipei County 221, Taiwan
Tel: 02-2642-8999 Ext: 6866

izit mean that for all Mal/Sin malsingmaps Nuvi users have to face the fate of using this device with bugs and error without solving n give a solution to us ?

or i think garmin simply just wana ignore the small market in our region, without concerning our pain of using their bugy device !

Just some questions :

Who sells the Mal/Sing nuvi sets in Singapore, and Malaysia ?

What's the price difference between the US, and Mal/Sing Nuvis ?

What's the commercial considerations for launching the Mal/Sing Nuvis since they seem inferior to the US Nuvis ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:19 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

GPS: iPhone 5, Nuvi 1250
Hi kennicks and others,

I was going to say it but adil beat me to it. Anyway, I had advised (in relation to non-display of POIs in navigation mode) that you should not bother to ask Garmin because they are not going to help you in relation to use of non-garmin map. Likewise, you should not write to Garmin in relation to any problem with your unit when used with MSM or other non-garmin map.

The reason is obvious and Adil has already given some explanation why in any event, it is not good to draw the wrong kind of attention to MSM.

Load your Nuvi with the official Garmin map. If you still face the same problem, then by all means write to Garmin. But if yours is a local version, likely they will refer you to the local dealer. In short, don't expect any magic bullet from Garmin. Although their US subsidiary serves as the group HQ, their biggest subsidiary and factory is in Taiwan. It is very much a Taiwan company.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:28 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

udaloy wrote:
Just some questions :

Who sells the Mal/Sing nuvi sets in Singapore, and Malaysia ?

What's the price difference between the US, and Mal/Sing Nuvis ?

What's the commercial considerations for launching the Mal/Sing Nuvis since they seem inferior to the US Nuvis ?

Unless the situation has changed, many of the shops in Singapore sell the local Nuvi sets. In fact, less shops (usually the ones that parallel import) sell the US sets.

Not sure about the price difference now but if you compare with the price of US sets sold locally, the local sets was (the last time I checked) slightly more expensive because they included the local S.E.A. map.

I am not sure if you can consider the local sets "inferior". To me, they are just different in specs. They may even have some things which some people consider superior. For example, S.E.A. map included. Also, display of POI in navigation mode. Also, the availability of local languages. Some of these things may be the deal breaker. I am of course not defending local sets since there are issues such as non-availability of firmware update, but just pointing out that they are not neccessarily inferior.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:18 pm 
Regular
Regular

GPS: Legend C
Hi tks, I am not expecting you to answer all my questions. Just that I only realised that there is such thing as local nuvi, and US nuvi.

tks wrote:
Unless the situation has changed, many of the shops in Singapore sell the local Nuvi sets. In fact, less shops (usually the ones that parallel import) sell the US sets.

So is Perfect Watch selling local nuvis or US nuvis ? Do the shops make know to customers that their sets are local or US sets ?

tks wrote:
Not sure about the price difference now but if you compare with the price of US sets sold locally, the local sets was (the last time I checked) slightly more expensive because they included the local S.E.A. map..

Eastgear advertised online the 205W for SGD449. It comes preloaded with North America maps, so can I assume that these are US nuvi ?
http://www.eastgear.com/store/garmin-nu ... p-285.html

What countries maps are covered under SEA map ?

tks wrote:
I am not sure if you can consider the local sets "inferior". To me, they are just different in specs. They may even have some things which some people consider superior. For example, S.E.A. map included. Also, display of POI in navigation mode. Also, the availability of local languages. Some of these things may be the deal breaker. I am of course not defending local sets since there are issues such as non-availability of firmware update, but just pointing out that they are not neccessarily inferior.

To me, if the local nuvis OS can't been updated online, that's an inferior product if compared to one which can.

What I am curious is why does garmin want to segment their market so fine ? Wouldn't the unit cost be lower if all Nuvi205 are hardware and software standardised ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:51 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

My answers to the best of my ability:

1. In the past, PW was selling both local and US versions. Not sure what is the position now. You can ask them.

2. I am sure the shop will only tell you if you ask them.

3. If pre-loaded with US map, then it should be US version. If I am not wrong, Eastgear was one of the largest parallel importers at one time.

4. S.E.A. map should be this: http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapS ... t_Asia.jsp
Initially, I was told local version include S.E.A. map but I am not sure what is the position now.

5. Only Garmin can answer your last question. But many manufacturers do market segmentation for all sorts of reasons. Maybe to allow different versions of the same produce to be customised for different regions. Maybe to do price control.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next