Garmin - General Discussion - Part 5

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

Locked
Message
Author
dinesh_bhupatrai
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:58 am
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 200W v2.5
Contact:

I feel cheated: No Junction View etc for non-SG/MY units???

#261 Post by dinesh_bhupatrai » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:54 pm

Hi all,

This is probably my 1st ever posting here so please forgive me if what I'm about to say may seem inappropriate.

Why is Garmin differentiating between SG/MY units versus other overseas unit? Personally I feel a little cheated. I bought my 765t last year from Europe before most people here had even heard of it. It came with Junction View, Lane Assist, 3D Buildings, etc. Reason why I bought it from there was because it had those features plus Bluetooth connectivity which I do use even to this day.

I travel to Europe & the US very often as part of my work and therefore having all those functions in the Europe map are all very very useful as I'm sure you will agree with me. I even went and bought the US map from a retailer in Singapore which has Lane Assist and now even has 3D buildings which all work on my set.

So my question is, why is Garmin restricting such functions for the use of MSM maps on non-SG/MY sets? If I had the option to purchase the 765t in Singapore with all these bells & whistles back then, I surely would have! But the product was not even available here. Afterall, GPS stands for GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM & therefore I believe the Garmin GPS units should work fully with all the functions GLOBALLY!

Could someone please enlighten me? I fear that there could be things i simply don't understand :(

Thanks!
Dinesh

wsian
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1187
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: SIRFstar III
Contact:

Re: I feel cheated: No Junction View etc for non-SG/MY units???

#262 Post by wsian » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:39 pm

dinesh_bhupatrai wrote: .... why is Garmin restricting such functions for the use of MSM maps on non-SG/MY sets?
I think the confusion starts here when you regard MSM map is the only map in MY/SG unit. But remember that MSM map is an additional free map bundle with the commercial MY/SG TA map. Many features (like JV) are created for the TA map. It is with the present of TA map files/pictures, MSM map will share the junction view pictures. It is not correct to say that MSM map has restricted functions in non-MY/SG set. It will be more accurate to say that Garmin is controlling the MY/SG TA map.

When purchase the euro set, you have the Europe city navigator with all the features. When you need a US map in your euro set, you said you have purchased the US map and get all the features. So likewise, it would be only fair and equivalent that you get a MY/SG city navigator map (if there is such) and expecting the similar features. Hope this help.

dinesh_bhupatrai
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:58 am
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 200W v2.5
Contact:

Re: I feel cheated: No Junction View etc for non-SG/MY units???

#263 Post by dinesh_bhupatrai » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:22 pm

wsian wrote: I think the confusion starts here when you regard MSM map is the only map in MY/SG unit. But remember that MSM map is an additional free map bundle with the commercial MY/SG TA map. Many features (like JV) are created for the TA map. It is with the present of TA map files/pictures, MSM map will share the junction view pictures. It is not correct to say that MSM map has restricted functions in non-MY/SG set. It will be more accurate to say that Garmin is controlling the MY/SG TA map.

When purchase the euro set, you have the Europe city navigator with all the features. When you need a US map in your euro set, you said you have purchased the US map and get all the features. So likewise, it would be only fair and equivalent that you get a MY/SG city navigator map (if there is such) and expecting the similar features. Hope this help.
Hi wsian thanks for replying. As u had quoted me earlier, I did ask why 'Garmin' was restricting the function and not MSM. I understand & I'm really appreciative of what you guys have done and think it really is an amazing feat!

My understanding from what you said is that only if I purchase the the MY/SG City Navigator Map, then I would be able to utilise the JV, Lane Assist, etc? So otherwise I wouldn't be able to use those functions? Is it true that all users here have the MY/SG City Navigator Map in their GPS units for them to use the JV function? If that is so, then it doesn't matter where I buy my GPS unit right? As long as I install the MY/SG City Navigator Map then I should be able to use JV?

I'm sorry man, I've just become even more confused now...... :ko:

Sincerely
Dinesh

wsian
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1187
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: SIRFstar III
Contact:

Re: I feel cheated: No Junction View etc for non-SG/MY units???

#264 Post by wsian » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:01 pm

dinesh_bhupatrai wrote:.... only if I purchase the the MY/SG City Navigator Map, then I would be able to utilise the JV, Lane Assist, etc....
I really don't know whether Garmin sells any SG/MY City Navigator with the features that is currently in the unit of MYSG unit. I'm only quoting it so that you make a fair comparison on the common platform. When you had purchase such map with promised features but can't use on your unit, that it is time that you launch your complain.

dinesh_bhupatrai
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:58 am
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 200W v2.5
Contact:

Re: I feel cheated: No Junction View etc for non-SG/MY units???

#265 Post by dinesh_bhupatrai » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:08 pm

wsian wrote: I'm only quoting it so that you make a fair comparison on the common platform. When you had purchase such map with promised features but can't use on your unit, that it is time that you launch your complain.
Ok but doesn't MSM latest map include JV? I'm confused as to why only SG/MY units are able to view it and not all units bought from all over the world. I can understand that Garmin wants to preserve the sales for local retailers but I believe its not fair to others.

I definitely would like to bring this issue up to Garmin directly. Do you have any contact info where I could direct my queries? Or should I just use the one found on the Garmin website?

Thanks
Dinesh

wsian
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1187
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: SIRFstar III
Contact:

Re: I feel cheated: No Junction View etc for non-SG/MY units???

#266 Post by wsian » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:29 pm

dinesh_bhupatrai wrote: Ok but doesn't MSM latest map include JV? ...
No, MSM map doesn't include JV. Whenever getting local unit update from Garmin, you are having TA map + JV + MSM + software. We didn't work on the JV picture, at least till now, we haven't start working on it. We only put in exit info into our map, and exit info works for all nuvi, as long as your model support it. As I said earlier, JV pictures are bundle to TA map. When you have TA map and MSM map together, the firmware will share the JV picture from TA map to be appeared in MSM map, when they come to the same spot.

dinesh_bhupatrai
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:58 am
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 200W v2.5
Contact:

Re: Garmin - General Discussion - Part 5

#267 Post by dinesh_bhupatrai » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:10 pm

Ok now I understand! Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was under the impression that the JV is under MSM. Thanks!!

brownie1234
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:46 pm
GPS: PDA
Contact:

Suction Pads

#268 Post by brownie1234 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:47 pm

Hi,

My GPs keeps falling off my windscreen because the suction pad doesnt stick as well (particularly in hot weather).

Other than permanently sticking it on the windscreen with double sided tape, anyone has other suggestions?

I have tried cleaning and wiping the windscreen and suction pad... but no help!

Thanks!

juggler
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 12:57 pm
GPS: Garmin 255W
Contact:

Re: Suction Pads

#269 Post by juggler » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:26 pm

brownie1234 wrote:Hi,

My GPs keeps falling off my windscreen because the suction pad doesnt stick as well (particularly in hot weather).

Other than permanently sticking it on the windscreen with double sided tape, anyone has other suggestions?

I have tried cleaning and wiping the windscreen and suction pad... but no help!

Thanks!
Try getting the Garmin Portable Friction Mount. I think there are some selling in the trading post.

User avatar
Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 2738
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:37 pm
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM
Location: Hougang, Sg
Contact:

Re: Suction Pads

#270 Post by Redstorm » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:28 pm

brownie1234 wrote:Hi,

My GPs keeps falling off my windscreen because the suction pad doesnt stick as well (particularly in hot weather).

Other than permanently sticking it on the windscreen with double sided tape, anyone has other suggestions?

I have tried cleaning and wiping the windscreen and suction pad... but no help!

Thanks!
That is one of the weaknesses of the suction pad. It doesn't stick permanently on the windscreen and is prone to dropping off especially during inclement weather. From past experience, it will stay there for a couple of days before dropping off. The other alternative is to invest in a friction mount The older version is also called a bean bag but is replaced by a newer one. See the pic in the link here. I am using one and it stays firmly on the top of the dashboard without moving an inch even during sudden turn or braking. :thumbsup: :mrgreen:
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests