Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:20 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: The Nuvi 650
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:16 am 

GPS: Garmin Nuvi600
I have a Nuvi 650, which cannot start up now :cry:
It happens after my wife unplugs the device from my laptop halfway through copying the new maps.
I have tried the hard reset - clearing all user data - but still the same problem.
The device will just hang on the start up screen where it says loading maps... :hair:

Can someone help me please.. what should i do next :prayer:

~wk

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: The Nuvi 650
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:33 am 
Veteran
Veteran

GPS: Nokia N82+10X,,
Nuvi 350
wkteoh wrote:
I have a Nuvi 650, which cannot start up now :cry:
It happens after my wife unplugs the device from my laptop halfway through copying the new maps.
I have tried the hard reset - clearing all user data - but still the same problem.
The device will just hang on the start up screen where it says loading maps... :hair:

Can someone help me please.. what should i do next :prayer:

~wk

maybe you can find some infos you need here;;http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=267

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 11:57 am 

GPS: PDA
I brought my Nuvi 650 on a road trip and suddenly it cannot start up normally (pressing the POWER button). But luckily i still can start it up using the 12V and navigate thru the rest of my 10 day trip.

Any bros using the 600 series encountered this problem before? Thought updating firmware might help in anyway, but alas.. it still stays the same on v4.30.

:cry:

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:15 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 610, E71 + GPS10x + Symbian GMXT + NRoute + Nokia Suports Tracker + GMPC
Can it power down using the power button also? If cannot, that I believe that the button has issues. I am using a nuvi 610, and so far no such issue on any of the firmware I have tried.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:32 am 

GPS: Garmin Nuvi600
I have been able to find the solution for my problem here.
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topi ... Terms=nuvi

The guy who wrote the program is a genious.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:31 am 
Elite
Elite

GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.
wkteoh wrote:
The guy who wrote the program is a genious.

I went to track it and found the permission given by the GPS Member, "Neadrenaline" who suggested the solution be posted in other Forum threads enabling anyone confronted with similar problems. I shall add it here for MSM members with 6xx series. :thumbsup:

Quote:
in the pre boot mode MAPSOURCE DOES NOT send any maps, cause of device capabilites limited in this mode.

You have to start your device to have disks. OK.
The main idea - to start the device and delete these gmapsupp.img wrong file. (or another "bad map" file img). How to do it if the unit does not start?

Let's use the updater, PRE-BOOT mode and some modified self-made service firmware.
http://e-trex.info/fw/nuvi/610_660/fw_n ... isible.rar

Unpack this file and start the device in the pre-boot mode. (hold the POWER button until the LOADER message appears)
Attach the device usb.
Run updater and select nuvi.
Click ok and proceed. Agree with updater if any additional messages appeared.
If LOADER appeared on the screen you may release POWER button and wait until unit flashed.

After success flashing unit restarts. (if you used WebUpdater before - gupdate.gcd needs to be deleted too! because of unit automatic firmware update after boot if this file exists, now it is no need in it, we will made it manually)
Now unit should boot! And there is only basemap shown (no gmapsupp, no gmapprom, gmapprom1 visible).
And now you can attach it as a Mass Storage Device and DELETE wrong gmapsupp (or whatever you need).
Then you need to make flash for usual firmware for unit. I prefer usual firmware loaded in PRE-BOOT mode, I hate gupdate.gcd :)

So, download the file
http://e-trex.info/fw/nuvi/610_660/fw_n ... n_v350.rar
and use it as I described above.
Now your nuvi is fully operational and have no "bad maps".

I made the service firmware manually and tested it successfuly today on the broken nuvi. It works.

Be free to copy this content to other forums, it really can help people.

The main idea to create restoring file is to rename texts like "gmapsupp" to something strange "umapsupp" in the firmware code. So, unit starts, searches umapsupp.img and does not find it - we are lucky, we need it :)

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:59 am 

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 650
Hi every sifus here, Í'm noob and very new to GPS Navigator. Just a moments ago I just bought a Nuvi650 from another msm member, would like to ask sifus here if any one of you know that Nuvi 650 can't locate a destination by road name search? If I want to enable it, what I should do about it?

Thank you if any sifus here can enlighten me with an answer. :prayer:

kopiokao

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:01 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 200 v3.4; eTrex Vista HCx + PC mobile Re Radiating antenna
kopiokao wrote:
Hi every sifus here, Í'm noob and very new to GPS Navigator. Just a moments ago I just bought a Nuvi650 from another msm member, would like to ask sifus here if any one of you know that Nuvi 650 can't locate a destination by road name search? If I want to enable it, what I should do about it?

Thank you if any sifus here can enlighten me with an answer. :prayer:

kopiokao

What map your nuvi using now?

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:37 am 

GPS: Garmin Nuvi 650
Quote:
What map your nuvi using now?

it's a January 2008 map, i do heard that i need to update it to the latest April 2008 map only i can use the road-name search? Is that true?

Thanks sifus...

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:50 am 
Elite
Elite

GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.
kopiokao wrote:

it's a January 2008 map, i do heard that i need to update it to the latest April 2008 map only i can use the road-name search? Is that true?

Thanks sifus...

I'm sure the update, which is also needed while you have access to it, has anything to do or will help improve with your 650 in answering to your touch screen request when you key n the address or postal code or City/Street name... :-k

Have you tried heading back to the shop and ask them to run it to prove otherwise that the system or settings isn't functioning correctly? Once that is resolved, update the current April version.... keep us posted and hang on in there, unless yr 650 is weirdly "Kaput", it will work out soon for you.... or a complete replacement by shop should be the solution!!! :thumbsup: