The Nuvi 755T

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

mnd_43
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: 6210 Navigator

Re: The Nuvi 755T

#51 Post by mnd_43 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:39 am

Tom2 wrote:Thanks. I have downloaded and the map file is indicated on the map screen list. I guess I only able to see the map function when I reach home. Another question. To function the Mal-Sig map, what I need to do is deactivate the North America map and activate the Mal-Sig map, right. Will the text voice and traffic function?
Yupp ... u can do this or just activate all maps ...
no problem !
u can see the maps by zooming out n move the pointer to Msia/Sing n zoom in ...
or try some spell poi search in Msia/Sing ...

:D
:D ... de 9W2BPN

tks
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: iPhone 5, Nuvi 1250

#52 Post by tks » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:35 am

Tom2 wrote:Thanks. I have downloaded and the map file is indicated on the map screen list. I guess I only able to see the map function when I reach home. Another question. To function the Mal-Sig map, what I need to do is deactivate the North America map and activate the Mal-Sig map, right. Will the text voice and traffic function?
When you are in Mal/Sing and the device has a proper lock, it will show your current location map i.e. Singapore or Malaysia. Of course, the Malsing map must be selected. There is no need to unselect the NA map. If you do, it makes no difference.

Voice will work if you device is TTS enabled. But the pronunciation is funny. Let you find out for yourself.

There is no traffic function in this part of the world.

Tom2
GPS: Garmin 755T

#53 Post by Tom2 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:34 am

I am pretty sure the voice will sound funny when trying to pronunce the Bahasa Language. The pronunciation is not accurate for all word in English as well. For voice, I still prefer TomTom system as is more crispy clear. This is one of the downside of Garmin unit vs. TomTom. I miss the tunnel projection capability with Garmin unit.

tks
Veteran
Veteran

#54 Post by tks » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:36 am

Yah, it's extremely sad that Garmin apparently has yet to implement such simple thing as "tunnel projection". Even worse, when you enter tunnel, the device goes dead. At the very least, they should just leave the current info on the the screen so that you know which exit to take. But it goes dead, and the next exit info is replaced by "Lost satellite connection" and all the route info gone.

Someone reported that the new 7x5 series in fact has some sort of "tunnel projection" capability but I think that info may be wrong, as others have reported no such thing. Maybe you can clarify.

mnd_43
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

#55 Post by mnd_43 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:43 am

tks wrote:... the device goes dead ... and the next exit info is replaced by "Lost satellite connection" and all the route info gone.
From my point of view its better goes dead compare to wrong tunnel projections ...
... everybody knows GPS only useable in open clear sky ... n better get something else
to guide if u cant get it ! ... BTW the road sign is very clear ...
just follow ...

tks
Veteran
Veteran

#56 Post by tks » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:56 am

mnd_43 wrote:From my point of view its better goes dead compare to wrong tunnel projections ...
... everybody knows GPS only useable in open clear sky ... n better get something else
to guide if u cant get it ! ... BTW the road sign is very clear ...
just follow ...
Hi mnd_43,

Everytime some of us lament the lack of "tunnel projection" or whatever it is called, in Garmin, it is misunderstood and sometimes ridiculed, completely without any basis. So, here I am, doing just a one-time explanation.

Of course, all of us know that GPS will not work in tunnel. This need not be repeated. We are not asking for GPS to work in tunnel.

When you need to get from Point A to point B (say from Hougang to Shenton Way), the GPS will route you a certain way, and you follow. Then it takes CTE South and you follow. Then the tunnel suddenly appears and the device goes dead. Then you tell me: WHICH EXIT TO TAKE? There are 5 possible exits and the display shows nothing. If you press preview route, it shows NO ROUTE AVAILABLE. In the end, you have to guess which exit to take, or maybe drive all the way to the end of the tunnel.

In the TomTom, the device does not go dead, but goes into "offline" mode. The screen greys out, telling you satellites lost, but it continues to enter some sort of simulation mode, probably based on your last known speed and route plotted. Then it guides you to take which exit to take. No rocket science here. The exit is based on your planned route, as calculated before you entered the tunnel. Of course, since it is approximation or projection, it may not accurately reflect your action location in the tunnel. But it does its job to guide you out of the tunnel, according to the route you were supposed to take. The moment your car leaves the tunnel, the device reverts back to normal operation mode.

You get it?

ravindara82
GPS: Nuvi205w

#57 Post by ravindara82 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:12 pm

hi tks,
u wrote "all of us know that GPS will not work in tunnel"
our gps can't use in tunnel ??
I thought it can ?
then why my hp can use in tunnel ?
is it different ?

mnd_43
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

#58 Post by mnd_43 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:31 pm

tks wrote: You get it?
Thanks Bro ... get it
Just wait for Garmin to do something with their software ...
what else to do ?

:D ... mmm follow the sign lah ...
Last edited by mnd_43 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tks
Veteran
Veteran

#59 Post by tks » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:34 pm

ravindara82 wrote:hi tks,
I thought it can ?
is it different ?
What hp are you using and which GPS software are you using? Also, which tunnel are you referring to? A long or short tunnel?

Basically, GPS requires line of sight with the satellites to work. If you are in the tunnel, this is not possible. There are special augmentation technologies such as map matching and dead-reckoning (relying on gyroscopes and don't-know-what equipment) to plot your location. But I doubt this is in your phone.

Or sometimes, I read that in some tunnels, the GPS signals are somehow relayed into the tunnel. No idea how that works or whether it is even possible.

But normally, it takes the device a few seconds to realise that it has lost the signal. If the tunnel is short, your car may be out of the tunnel before the device realises that it has lost the signal.
Last edited by tks on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnd_43
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

#60 Post by mnd_43 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:37 pm

ravindara82 wrote:hi tks,
I thought it can ?
is it different ?

What hp are you using and which GPS software are you using? Also, which tunnel are you referring to? A long or short tunnel?
my nuvi dead n my N95 GMXT too ...
even a short tunnel ...
of course the hp signal fo communication is always on !