Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:43 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:11 am 
Site Owner
Site Owner

GPS: GPS V,Colo 300, 60CSx, Forerunner 305 & 405, Oregon 300, Nuvi 255W, 1350, 1460, 3790, 62S
Garmin engineers were here for the past 3 days doing some field testing amongst others. I was with them throughout and we had some really positive sessions with them. I thought I'd share some of the quirky things we did during that time.

We hooked up .. not 2 or 3 but 7 different hardware units onto a single cigarette lighter socket. I was surprised the rental car still had battery juice to start up :picknose:

We fried the Labsat unit midway through. We took a detour to Jalan Pasar to try to get it sorted but an hour later, the unit remained dead. This unit can measure with a great deal of accuracy of .. umm .. something. There are some parts of KL during certain hours of the day when the car icon will do a "jump". So this piece of electronic gizmo will tell the engineers exactly by talking to the satellites in space. Or something like that :ko:

We tested the 3790. Oh. Really beautiful. :muak: Have a look at the link below. Looks like a smartphone. It also looks rather fragile too. The screen display is .... mmmm ... mmmmuaaah. Might be a magnet for fingerprints as well. This is a real big shift in terms of looks for the Nuvi. The screen is capacitative .. hence you are not able to operate the menus using your fingernails or pen or any other object. You need skin contact to navigate through its screens.

Did i say it looks sexy? I'd get it in a heartbeat. But the price .. woooah. I don't think it will land cheap. In fact, sexy or not, I do not think it will sell well due to price factor. We will see ..

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=63152

The escalator in Jusco Bukit Tinggi follows Japan - it goes up on the right. And not left.

Sending stuffs by DHL to Garmin TWN is not cheap. RM305 for 5kg. Heck, even the documents MSM sent to Garmin USA costs us RM90 every time! They even charge for fuel surcharge!

The new A60 was also fieldtested. You can see it in the second picture on the dash. Really nice phone running on Android OS. The A60 operated most of the time during the field test. We can see that its ETA calculation differs slightly when compared to the 1460 or the 1250 or the 1350. We also ran the Oregon 550 as well. I am not sure when the A60 will come out .. but now it is making think twice about the HTC Desire. Maybe I will get the Desire nevertheless. Not sure. MS Exchange seems to work fine with the A60.

We did some other stuffs in between meetings and driving around before parting ways yesterday.. till next time then. Maybe in Taiwan during the fasting month ..

Attachments:
File comment: We trimmed it down to just 3 during the last segment of the field test
fieldtest.jpg
fieldtest.jpg [ 82.84 KiB | Viewed 621 times ]
Labsat.jpg
Labsat.jpg [ 122.27 KiB | Viewed 621 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:37 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

GPS: Nokia N82+10X,,
Nuvi 350
its really looks cool on d dashboard

Profile Send private message