Raw logging on nuvi 2x5, 5x0, 7xx and 1xxx series

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)

Re: Raw logging on nuvi 2x5, 5x0, 7xx and 1xxx series

#61 Post by ace » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:25 am

Normally, I would record the POI if I'm only the road and cannot leave the car.....so the POI is sitting on the road.

Back home, I will import the favourite and manually shift it to the actual/estimated position. The position can be 100% accurate (pure luck if you want to call it) or it could be a metre or maybe 2 off the mark. But for someone arriving at the POI, a meter or 2 is practically is right in front of the person.....unless he's blind and walking with a blind man stick.
I don't have free fish......

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

#62 Post by jasonlee » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:21 pm

ace wrote:Normally, I would record the POI if I'm only the road and cannot leave the car.....so the POI is sitting on the road.

Back home, I will import the favourite and manually shift it to the actual/estimated position. The position can be 100% accurate (pure luck if you want to call it) or it could be a metre or maybe 2 off the mark. But for someone arriving at the POI, a meter or 2 is practically is right in front of the person.....unless he's blind and walking with a blind man stick.
You are absolutely right Bro Ace. Absolute accuracy is not necessary but for the mappers to insert the POI into the map, the most important thing is to know on which side of the road the POI should be located. Often we receive contributions with the POIs in the middle of the road and not having been there, the mapper may have no clue which side of the road to locate it and there will be a 50/50 chance the POI will be in the wrong place. Before contributing, it is most important to import the Favorite into the map in MapSource, move it to the correct side of the road (accuracy of +/- 20m is more than enough), then save the gdb file and upload as contribution.

Just noticed one example of a contributed POI that is in the middle of the road. See HERE.
Lean not on your own understanding

Noah
Senior Mapper
GPS: 60csx, Nuvi 2465

#63 Post by Noah » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:05 pm

Some may question the importance of the location of the POI on the accurate side of the road, after all, if its not on one side, just go to the opposite side so why all the fuss? Let me qualify that statement by saying that if the road has a divider, this becomes rather important else the driver will be routed in the wrong direction which may be rather convoluted and disgusts him. A fairy dies every time someone cusses our maps so we'd like to be as precise as possible.
Mappers wanted. Read this to get started. Payment = Recognition = Priceless.
We don't just build maps. We build relationships.

Follow our map updates on Twitter

Zeus73
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550, Kenwood DNX4150BT

#64 Post by Zeus73 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:32 pm

Noah wrote:Some may question the importance of the location of the POI on the accurate side of the road, after all, if its not on one side, just go to the opposite side so why all the fuss?
Not really true. If you go one big round and found that the POI is at the opposite side of the road where you just pass by earlier. :lol:

Also, for certain location, it's not that easy to drive to the opposite side of the road. :mrgreen: Sometimes not possible to run across the road too. :lol:

Noah
Senior Mapper
GPS: 60csx, Nuvi 2465

#65 Post by Noah » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:37 pm

Zeus73 dude, you just echoed what I said.
Mappers wanted. Read this to get started. Payment = Recognition = Priceless.
We don't just build maps. We build relationships.

Follow our map updates on Twitter

baileyng
Senior Mapper
GPS: Nuvi 2575R, Nuvi 2465, Nuvi 255W, Waze.

#66 Post by baileyng » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:54 pm

Noah wrote:Some may question the importance of the location of the POI on the accurate side of the road, after all, if its not on one side, just go to the opposite side so why all the fuss? Let me qualify that statement by saying that if the road has a divider, this becomes rather important else the driver will be routed in the wrong direction which may be rather convoluted and disgusts him. A fairy dies every time someone cusses our maps so we'd like to be as precise as possible.
Hmm, why can the POI be put wrongly or opposite side?? As for me, when i'm on the road and there's a POI to be saved in the unit, I just switched the screen to Browsing mode. Then, just tab the screen to the correct side of the road and save it in the favourite. So the POI will be saved either on the left or right side which is determined by me.

Bailey Ng
MSM 2017 NT v7.78 (May 13, 2017)
CN SGMY NT2015.40-Malsing ALL (July 8, 2016)

muzz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#67 Post by muzz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:56 pm

Noah wrote:Some may question the importance of the location of the POI on the accurate side of the road, after all, if its not on one side, just go to the opposite side so why all the fuss?
above "argument" sounds familiar, if not mistaken discussed it five years ago in the old forum :wink:

shiroitenshi
GPS: Nuvi 1460 2.70, MSM NT 5.03

#68 Post by shiroitenshi » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:56 am

Just tried raw tracking with my nuvi 1460 with 2.70 firmware, seems like there's two formats available, BIN and GPX. And some memory size options.. ??? not stated in this thread as far as I've notice.

As to the quality of the tracklog, I don't have mapsource working yet to test.. LOL.

Will do so once I actually am at my own home, in front of my own computer.

miezarnd
Senior Mapper
GPS: Yang dalam kereta punya
https://goo.gl/XBdH3k

#69 Post by miezarnd » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:32 pm

shiroitenshi wrote:Just tried raw tracking with my nuvi 1460 with 2.70 firmware, seems like there's two formats available, BIN and GPX. And some memory size options.. ??? not stated in this thread as far as I've notice.

As to the quality of the tracklog, I don't have mapsource working yet to test.. LOL.

Will do so once I actually am at my own home, in front of my own computer.
When do tracklogging, better checked GPX box for 'Log Types' and leave other things un-touch like Size (Mem Handle Size) & Nmbr (Number of Handles).

If I not mistaken, Mem Handle Size is default at 1024k (allocated to tracklog size) which is already able to track for hundreds of tracks.
Temerloh - Sekinchan - Sg. Puyu = 7
2575LM / 3790 / 4592LM / GPSMAP 64s / Montana 650
Jalan-jalan cari makan

shiroitenshi
GPS: Nuvi 1460 2.70, MSM NT 5.03

#70 Post by shiroitenshi » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:06 pm

miezarnd wrote: When do tracklogging, better checked GPX box for 'Log Types' and leave other things un-touch like Size (Mem Handle Size) & Nmbr (Number of Handles).

If I not mistaken, Mem Handle Size is default at 1024k (allocated to tracklog size) which is already able to track for hundreds of tracks.
Already did so and I just happened to leave the handle size and number at default.. would it be better to increase the mem handle size? what does it do anyway?,

I did read through the newbies wiki, and understood that gpx is the logging type to go for. got gpx for uncharted new roads in Terengganu, will post later for senior members to evaluate when free. too lazy to go pluck the GPS out of the car, and somehow I have issues running mapsource on this computer.. will try on my own computer when I get home.

Adding screenshot for clarity, running with 2.70 firmware and nuvi 1460, start logging reaches this screen first.
logging options.JPG
The numbers displayed for mem size and handles are default,
And logging type to be checked is GPX