Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:59 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:55 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Garmin = f(eTREX Vista HCx, nuvi 610, nuvi 2575R, Mobile XT)
bartmp8 wrote:
Bro Redstorm,

I guess you can mark out boundaries or short new roads, new exits etc this way. Otherwise Nuvi users
how to contribute more? If what you and Bro Trajet2b suspect is correct, you've got to give due
respect to Unclediy for his patience and out of box thinking in carrying out this track. I think this
method is best (safest) done on foot for small area. But we are still speculating as Uncle has not
revealed his secret yet.

If u press long enough [on ur own risk] the clock on screen at top RHS, u can uncover what nuvi610 has, but do not attempt to change anything..

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:43 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

bartmp8 wrote:
I guess you can mark out boundaries or short new roads, new exits etc this way. Otherwise Nuvi usershow to contribute more? If what you and Bro Trajet2b suspect is correct, you've got to give duerespect to Unclediy for his patience and out of box thinking in carrying out this track. I think thismethod is best (safest) done on foot for small area. But we are still speculating as Uncle has not revealed his secret yet.

bartmp8 :thumbsup:

Nuvi600 series can do tracking in many ways. Much better than some civilian GPS that we used to do trackings >10 yrs ago. Good for the new comers who still 'konpius' with the terms La Titude, Longitude and Al-Titude to learn the basic of tracking. I know out there some GPS users do not even know what is ZIP files and Google..he.hee . Sorry ah...

A few ways to do tracking using nuvi600 series, but not limited to:
1. Pressing signal strength bar, it will display the real time coordinate. Record em manually. Remember we did the samething during practical lesson in surveying class long time ago.. [those technical man whose ages r in the late 40's, 50's and above had this experience]

2. One step easier is to use 'screen capture' just like shooting pic.
Get those coordinate and transfer manually to Mapsource. Very tedious job but that is the basic one should know. Just like we did double integtals problem solving in the whole day before mapple, Simulink and Mathcad come into the scene to do it in just seconds. And remember, we even used slide rules to do complex engineering design, after getting the data we plot manually and used Frenchcurves to do graph smoothing....oh remember those good 'ol days?

3. Touch current position cursor and "Save Loc." as POI and let the MapSource 'suck-in' the data... [limited to 500 points only]. After loading, the *.xml file on nuvi must be deleted to accomodate new data. Warning: NOT recomended to do while driving alone. Let other ppl drive. Doing on foot is most recomended....
4. Tweak the software to automate method #3. Only suitable for DIY-man. Not easy, buying Garmin mapper is easier though.

Regards

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:28 am 
Councillor
Councillor

GPS: Nuvi1350 and Google Maps Android
unclediy wrote:
Nuvi600 series can do tracking in many ways. Much better than some civilian GPS that we used to do trackings >10 yrs ago ...
1. Pressing signal strength bar ...
2. One step easier is to use 'screen capture' ...
3. Touch current position cursor and "Save Loc." as POI ...
4. Tweak the software to automate method #3. Only suitable for DIY-man. Not easy, buying Garmin mapper is easier though.

The last point #4 really interest me. Hacking a device to do what it wasn't really intended to do is always fun. Hehe. :mrgreen:

That NuclearMalaysia Public Track-1.gdb Nuvi610 "tracks" posted in viewtopic.php?f=15&t=34&p=18086#p18086 looks useable to me. Of course, our KL-R mapper, Antyong will decide whether it's worth using in next version of KL-R. However IIRC, PRK-R mapper, Dynamix, had included similar "POIs based tracks" submission into PRK-R.

One thing I miss in that "NuclearMalaysia Public Track-1.gdb" is waypoints/comments describing where the "track points" are with reference to the centreline of the road. Comments such as "walking on sidewalk, 1.5m right of CL" included in waypoints names/comments fields would be useful. I understand UncleDIY took about 45 minutes to walk those 2km+ odd tracks.

I'm tempted to go visit UncleDIY with my GarminQue+GPSlim236, and compare the tracks I get with UncleDIY's. Mmm ... let me see whether I can interest "golden track" capable trackers nearer to that area. Calling cruiseantz, stimix, dvpro and mohicans. 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:26 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

GPS: Handheld, PDA Based
Since Uncle said:
unclediy wrote:
... Nuclear Malaysia accessible road to public, i.e contractors, salesmen, visitors...

maybe it's not a good idea going on a weekend, besides got something to do this afternoon. If no one else is going, I'll track the area tomorrow, hope can get pass thru the guards. [-o<

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:06 pm 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Bro Sabre23t, just got back from that nuclear place, damn hard to persuade the guards to let me in, could not lie, had to tell them I was there for some gps mapping exercise. Anyway, was given only a few minutes to pusing2, only managed to cover the outer road surrounding that area. Attached is also tracklog in KML (GE has hires image of that area). The KML file was offsetted at Y value of 0.00005.

Note: External antenna used, refer pic for antenna placement on bonet.

Attachments:
antennaplacement.jpg
antennaplacement.jpg [ 41.21 KiB | Viewed 702 times ]
File comment: GDB and Offsetted KML
Nuclear by dvpro.zip [45.63 KiB]
Downloaded 40 times

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:11 am 
Councillor
Councillor

GPS: Nuvi1350 and Google Maps Android
dvpro wrote:
Bro Sabre23t, just got back from that nuclear place, damn hard to persuade the guards to let me in, could not lie, had to tell them I was there for some gps mapping exercise.

Thanks, dvpro for the successful hard pursuasion. =D>

I haven't looked at the KML in GE yet, but looking at unclediy's tracks (cyan) and dvpro's tracks (green) for the northern segment, I find the deviation (about 7m) curious. Doesn't seem that the green tracks (from W to E) is deviating due to "overshooting". Did unclediy cross the roads a few times? Any opinion dvpro or unclediy? :-k

It's a pity you couldn't get "bi-directional" tracks for this segment, dvpro. That would corroborates each other, and eliminates or show up any "overshooting" effect too. As per your "bi-directional" tracks going to and out of Nuclear do. O:)

Attachments:
nuclear-unclediy-dvpro.png
nuclear-unclediy-dvpro.png [ 20.1 KiB | Viewed 669 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:51 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

sabre23t wrote:
looking at unclediy's tracks (cyan) and dvpro's tracks (green) for the northern segment, I find the deviation (about 7m) curious.. Did unclediy cross the roads a few times? Any opinion dvpro or unclediy? :-k

It's a pity you couldn't get "bi-directional" tracks for this segment, dvpro. That would corroborates each other, and eliminates or show up any "overshooting" effect too. As per your "bi-directional" tracks going to and out of Nuclear do. O:)

U r rite bro. sabre. I used side walk and cross the road to avoid the contractor's lorries parked at the road sides few times. Next time I will track on the center line of the road for the other Nucklear Malaysia branch [Nuclear Malaysia Tech Park located about 3~4 km away next to Atomic Energy Licensing Board]... during weekend of coz.

First attempt by a novice using nuvi 610 not too bad maa? :mrgreen: Even tracking by the expert got mistake if you go and see the location especially at the road junctions... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:55 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

trajet2b wrote:
i have to take my hats off for your effort. :thumbsup: =D> =D> =D>

:tq: bro trajet, but I had tried hard to contribute, I'd just got a free updated routable malsingmaps recently [only days after joining the 'club']- it's a sin to get more than what I could give to malsingmaps community. Next time I've to :$gone: on da rite device for da rite task...and contribute more .

Regards

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:57 am 
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

unclediy wrote:
Even tracking by the expert got mistake if you go and see the location especially at the road junctions... :lol:

Tracking by driving is different from walking, a car can never do a perfect 90degree turn especially on narrow roads, got to stay away from those nasty dividers. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:34 am 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

dvpro wrote:
Tracking by driving is different from walking, a car can never do a perfect 90degree turn especially on narrow roads, got to stay away from those nasty dividers. :lol:
U r rite bro. What I pointed out was that even re-tracking using the same device cannot get the same result. A part from equipment error, trackers will never follow exactly the same path, unless one drives on dotted white center line. So when comparing two track logs with one another - no one can say which one is correct. There must be a :gg:.

:cheers:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next