The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#221 Post by dvpro » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:15 pm

ace wrote:Bro Dvpro, how to clean it if I can't access the directory?
Bro Ace, try cleaning the drive itself. But if the machine itself is already infected, then I think you should clean it from a different PC (preferably installed with a good and updated AV software).
ace wrote:The other thing that I'm curious about is whether the Nuvi get itself encryted as I plugged it into my office laptop which has an encryted software.
Might be the reason for this issue. Perhaps you can connect Nuvi to the laptop and try de-encrypting it.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)

#222 Post by ace » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:25 pm

Bro Dvpro, I've just asked my company support to check if the Nuvi is encryted and we both don't think so. Try on my machine and another one without encrytion software. Both also cannot access.

Don't think it is infected as my company antivirus software will prompt if it so. I hope that this is true..haha...

I'm serious thinking of resetting it to factory default...but just curious what this resetting actually does.
I don't have free fish......

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

#223 Post by dvpro » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:33 pm

ace wrote:I'm serious thinking of resetting it to factory default...but just curious what this resetting actually does.
Bro Ace, if you're referring the "Clear All User Data" procedure, it'll reset to factory settings just like when you first bought it. Current.GPX file will also be reset, so Favorites, etc. will be deleted as well. Although it's a good idea to perform this once in a while (especially when Nuvi behaves strangely), I'm not sure if it will resolve the issue.

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)

#224 Post by ace » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:18 pm

Bro dvpro, you are probably right.....as the issue is accessing the drive and not data corruption.

So, I'm back at square one.... :cry:

moeyHC
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575, Papaga N1, iGo, 5800, M1200, M1000B/C

#225 Post by moeyHC » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:13 pm

ace wrote:Bro moeyHC, I don't think it is a hidden folder issue.. I have tried to access it via the command prompt...no go. On the Windows Explorer, I can see the Nuvi drive and the SD drive. While I can't access the Nuvi, I can access the SD card directory.
Bro ace,

What do you mean Can't access the Nuvi? The directory is shown empty or gives an error while accessing? Can you type Attrib *.* to see if there are any file inside the Nuvi using command prompt? Ask a friend with a Mac to scan your Nuvi to see if there are any problem. A Mac is not running on Windows and will display anything inside your Nuvi. Hope this helps.
MSM Glossary/Index - viewtopic.php?p=57986#p57986

kploh
Regular
Regular
GPS: Sell Old buy New

#226 Post by kploh » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:16 pm

ace wrote:Bro dvpro, you are probably right.....as the issue is accessing the drive and not data corruption.

So, I'm back at square one.... :cry:
your problem let me remember something same,
I had bought a "AS IS" Nuvi 765 from Ebay US$45 , "AS IS" description almost similar like yours, Computer refuse to enter into Nuvi directory, but SD drive is OK. I have spent time to tried so many cure but unsuccefully, until one day when my friend give me a spoilt thumbdrive, computer can't be open the drive directory, I formating the thumbdrive, then, I think formating thumbdrive, can make it work again, what about my Nuvi 765, so that I tried the same method.
after connect my nuvi 765 with PC, I can see the Garmin drive and SD drive, but when double click the Garmin drive, it Error like something corrupted, already forgot the Whole message. Due to many cure already tried but failed, then I tried to format the garmin drive with move the mouse cursor to Garmin drive, Right Click and selecting "format...", I prefer Quick format because I knew that while garmin drive formating, if halfway halt (eg. caused by Power failure, accidently plug out the USB cable..etc), it will make your nuvi drive permanent dead, I got a experience on my nuvi 205w, and also got same information from web, other people also has the same issued with halfway stopped formating. So that, I always prefer quick formating, just few second done.
After formating my Nuvi 765 garmin drive, my computer able to open the garmin directory, then I use the webupdater get back the necessary voice, text file...etc. and work perfect without any issued.
So that, if you finally can't find any cure from Expert here, and if you totally no Idea at all, you may try my method.

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

#227 Post by dvpro » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:45 pm

I concur with Bro KPLoh, if everything else fails, drive formatting is the way to go. Just make sure you know which version your Nuvi is so that you know which method of updating is suitable for the Nuvi.

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#228 Post by ace » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:34 pm

Bro kploh,

Was trying the quick formatting last night....

Can't event get the system to recongnise the Nuvi drive, either from window explorer or the command prompt.
dvpro wrote:I concur with Bro KPLoh, if everything else fails, drive formatting is the way to go. Just make sure you know which version your Nuvi is so that you know which method of updating is suitable for the Nuvi.
Bro dvpro, what do mean on "which version the Nuvi is"??

I have backup the original Nuvi content when I bought it. So if I format it entirely, I just copy it back, right?

dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

#229 Post by dvpro » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:51 pm

ace wrote:Bro dvpro, what do mean on "which version the Nuvi is"??
I mean you should determine the localization of Nuvi, because some localization use a different method to update, ie. Sg/My units should not use Webupdater to update the firmware.
ace wrote:I have backup the original Nuvi content when I bought it. So if I format it entirely, I just copy it back, right?
Correct, should be no problem.
ace wrote:Can't event get the system to recongnise the Nuvi drive, either from window explorer or the command prompt.
Maybe you can try formatting from Computer Management console > Disk Management (right-click at My Computer at Desktop and select Manage).

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

#230 Post by ace » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:19 am

Bro dvpro, and all...

Have been thinking....

Since the device is working properly other than being unable to access the Nuvi internal drive, and other maps can be stored on SD card....maybe I should just leave it as it is.

If this is the scenario, the other things I would like to know is.....
1. Whether I can make the device stored the hidden track log file to the SD card?
2. Whether the screen capture file can be route to store at the SD card?
3. and of course, the favourite....so far it is accessible, but whether it can be stored at the SD card?

In other words, instead of storing the normal files on the internal Nuvi memory, can we route it to stored them at the directory in the SD card i.e. meaning replicate the internal directory structure at the SD card.