The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

Message
Author
kploh
Regular
Regular
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:01 pm
GPS: Sell Old buy New
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#231 Post by kploh » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:19 pm

ace wrote:Bro dvpro, and all...

Have been thinking....

Since the device is working properly other than being unable to access the Nuvi internal drive, and other maps can be stored on SD card....maybe I should just leave it as it is.

If this is the scenario, the other things I would like to know is.....
1. Whether I can make the device stored the hidden track log file to the SD card?
2. Whether the screen capture file can be route to store at the SD card?
3. and of course, the favourite....so far it is accessible, but whether it can be stored at the SD card?

In other words, instead of storing the normal files on the internal Nuvi memory, can we route it to stored them at the directory in the SD card i.e. meaning replicate the internal directory structure at the SD card.
Yes, as long as the device is working properly, just let it be.
1. you can make the device stored the hidden track log file to SD card, I did it before, but need to edit the something before update the firmware, 0 is internal memory storage drive, 1 is SD drive.
it is a tough work to make everything store in the SD.
for your infomation, Garmin firmware store at ROM, you may disassemble the firmware, from the machine code, you may find something interesting, the firmware need to be read the data from the internal memory, eg Voice files, keyboard...etc, so that, for one of the example, if your Nuvi device internal memory inaccessible, meaning to say you can't get any Voice update...or so on in the future if Garmin release something new voice.
I did recover a nuvi 255w US, computer unable to detect as USB mode, Garmin release firmware version 6.40, Change make "Fixed issue that could create file corruption in mass storage.", after I updated the nuvi with this firmware v6.40 thru RGN file , it can be detect as USB mode. So far I think Garmin still not yet receive any complaint letter regarding the SgMy version nuvi with such issued, so that, garmin would not add this feature into SgMy firmware.

User avatar
dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2887
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:37 pm
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based
Location: KUL, MY
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#232 Post by dvpro » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:28 pm

Bro Ace, I'm just curious. Is the disk (not necessarily with a drive letter) detectable in Window's Disk Management?
dvpro wrote:Maybe you can try formatting from Computer Management console > Disk Management (right-click at My Computer at Desktop and select Manage).
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 574
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#233 Post by ace » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:01 am

kploh wrote:Yes, as long as the device is working properly, just let it be.
1. you can make the device stored the hidden track log file to SD card, I did it before, but need to edit the something before update the firmware, 0 is internal memory storage drive, 1 is SD drive.
it is a tough work to make everything store in the SD.
for your infomation, Garmin firmware store at ROM, you may disassemble the firmware, from the machine code, you may find something interesting, the firmware need to be read the data from the internal memory, eg Voice files, keyboard...etc, so that, for one of the example, if your Nuvi device internal memory inaccessible, meaning to say you can't get any Voice update...or so on in the future if Garmin release something new voice.
I did recover a nuvi 255w US, computer unable to detect as USB mode, Garmin release firmware version 6.40, Change make "Fixed issue that could create file corruption in mass storage.", after I updated the nuvi with this firmware v6.40 thru RGN file , it can be detect as USB mode. So far I think Garmin still not yet receive any complaint letter regarding the SgMy version nuvi with such issued, so that, garmin would not add this feature into SgMy firmware.
Bro kploh, thanks for the info. I'm not technical competent to disassemble the firmware, so that option is out. But you are right in that if there are any further updates. I will not be able to use it. Have tried over the weekend to see if Garmin website can detect the Nuvi. And it's a no. :cry:

But it obviously can still work as if nothing has happen so far. Fingers crossed.
I don't have free fish......

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 574
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#234 Post by ace » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:05 am

dvpro wrote:Bro Ace, I'm just curious. Is the disk (not necessarily with a drive letter) detectable in Window's Disk Management?
Bro dvpro, the Nuvi can be detected via the Window's Disk Management. It was classified as healthy with about 960mb of space.. :nutz: Just can't see the inside of the Nuvi.

I'm tempted to clear all data and to change to factory default.....but I'm concerned that if that's fails...the Nuvi be become a brick. :lol:
I don't have free fish......

User avatar
dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2887
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:37 pm
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based
Location: KUL, MY
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#235 Post by dvpro » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:25 am

Bro Ace, don't worry, you can only brick the Nuvi if you mess up it's ROM, where the firmware resides or if you place some types of corrupted data in it's internal memory. Even if you format Nuvi's internal memory, the Nuvi will still work, albeit without a working map. The worst thing that can happen is you'll lose map data (which can be reinstalled) and personal data such as Favorites list. Other files, as mentioned earlier can be obtained either thru backup and/or firmware update.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 574
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#236 Post by ace » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:54 am

I think I will not do anything to the Nuvi for the time being........may need it this weekend for jalan jalan... :lol: :mrgreen:

Will try to reformat next week... and see how it goes.
I don't have free fish......

kploh
Regular
Regular
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:01 pm
GPS: Sell Old buy New
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#237 Post by kploh » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:55 am

dvpro wrote:Bro Ace, don't worry, you can only brick the Nuvi if you mess up it's ROM, where the firmware resides or if you place some types of corrupted data in it's internal memory. Even if you format Nuvi's internal memory, the Nuvi will still work, albeit without a working map. The worst thing that can happen is you'll lose map data (which can be reinstalled) and personal data such as Favorites list. Other files, as mentioned earlier can be obtained either thru backup and/or firmware update.
For Nuvi's brick, formating also got risky, this is what I think,
While Formating halt in the Halfway due to some unforseen problem like Power failure, PC auto shutdown or Mis-unconnecting the USB cable, it may also brick the Nuvi permanently,
i read the post from other forum about it, Initially I can't believe it, then I tried on my Nuvi 205W, I formated it, and while it was formating, I purposely Off my PC main power switch, after that the symptom from my Nuvi: 1) Reboot Loop and Loop 2) PC unable to detect it 3)Nuvi able to start with slot in the SD card. 4) Nuvi completely unable to read any file from the internal memory 5) when using the keyboard to do so address or POI search, it will auto shutoff, because Nuvi unable to read the gtt file from Nuvi internal memory 6) No voice because Nuvi unable to read the voice file from internal memory. Conclude for the Nuvi problem: internal memory drive has been corrupted.
So that, although I have done many times of nuvi formation without any problem (excluded the above purposely action), but when we do anything, it may has some unforeseen circumstances or may not, anyway, My personal thinking, use quick format is better way.

User avatar
dvpro
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2887
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:37 pm
GPS: Handheld, PDA Based
Location: KUL, MY
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#238 Post by dvpro » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:03 pm

kploh wrote:While Formating halt in the Halfway due to some unforseen problem like Power failure, PC auto shutdown or Mis-unconnecting the USB cable, it may also brick the Nuvi permanently
That is understandable as Nuvi needs to access the internal memory when booting up, and the situation is quite similar to having corrupted data in the internal memory. Nevertheless, I'm not quite sure if it's a permanent damage, since the firmware can then be modded to bypass the process of accessing certain files in the internal memory while booting up. And thereafter after updating Nuvi with the modded firmware, it should be able to be accessed by PC and reformatted.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 574
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#239 Post by ace » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:27 pm

Ok.. I finally managed to get the operating system to quick format the internal memory.

1. After quick format, I can access the Nuvi internal directory.
2. I found that my Favourites in the gpx file is still intact and quickly copy it out.. :mrgreen:
3. Detach from PC and let it boot up....No routable map found is the message. #-o
4. Shut down Nuvi, slot in the SD card with the CN 2010.30 map inside and it can boot up.
5. Shut down Nuvi, reattached to PC. Go to backup and copy nearly all files except gmapbmap, gmapprom1, fs_image.ver, nuvi_drive.ico
6. Go to Garmin Map Update and download MSM 2010.40. The map was installed into the SD card where the CN 2010.30 map was.....I thought that was strange....Did all of you get the same installation to the SD card? :-k
7. Detach Nuvi from PC and boot up...Go to Map info and I can only see the CN map....the MSM map was not shown.... Anybody knows why this is so??? :-? :-?
8. Download 5.02 and copy to a different SD card....Nuvi can't see and tell me it need a routable map.

So now I have a different set of problems. Basically accessing the Nuvi is now not the problem. Getting the Nuvi to read the MSM Garmin map and our own compiled map is the new problems..

All advises and recommendations are welcome..... :prayer: :prayer:
I don't have free fish......

User avatar
Zeus73
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2619
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:54 am
GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550, Kenwood DNX4150BT
Location: Yew Tee, Singapore
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#240 Post by Zeus73 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:06 pm

ace wrote:Ok.. I finally managed to get the operating system to quick format the internal memory.

1. After quick format, I can access the Nuvi internal directory.
2. I found that my Favourites in the gpx file is still intact and quickly copy it out.. :mrgreen:
3. Detach from PC and let it boot up....No routable map found is the message. #-o
4. Shut down Nuvi, slot in the SD card with the CN 2010.30 map inside and it can boot up.
5. Shut down Nuvi, reattached to PC. Go to backup and copy nearly all files except gmapbmap, gmapprom1, fs_image.ver, nuvi_drive.ico
6. Go to Garmin Map Update and download MSM 2010.40. The map was installed into the SD card where the CN 2010.30 map was.....I thought that was strange....Did all of you get the same installation to the SD card? :-k
7. Detach Nuvi from PC and boot up...Go to Map info and I can only see the CN map....the MSM map was not shown.... Anybody knows why this is so??? :-? :-?
8. Download 5.02 and copy to a different SD card....Nuvi can't see and tell me it need a routable map.

So now I have a different set of problems. Basically accessing the Nuvi is now not the problem. Getting the Nuvi to read the MSM Garmin map and our own compiled map is the new problems..

All advises and recommendations are welcome..... :prayer: :prayer:
Want to try installing the new map without running the installer?

Unzip the EXE file with WinRAR. Look for the MapData folder. Copy the map and JCV file into your nuvi manually.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests