The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 4924
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:54 pm
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra
Contact:

Re: My local SgMy Nuvi 255w cannot switch on!

#281 Post by SilverBeauty » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:31 pm

h2chng wrote:.

Am I ok if I just leave the img file in a folder named garmin? or do I need to leave it in a folder named map?

Chng

For 255W, you are correct in that map file gmapsupp.img is kept in /garmin directory of SD card.

Looks like yours is a case for Dr.Garmin. In Sin their distributor is either Navicomm Technology or Allbright or you can email to Garmin Taiwan direct

h2chng
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:01 am
GPS: HP6515
Contact:

Re: My local SgMy Nuvi 255w cannot switch on!

#282 Post by h2chng » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:14 am

SilverBeauty wrote:
For 255W, you are correct in that map file gmapsupp.img is kept in /garmin directory of SD card.

Looks like yours is a case for Dr.Garmin. In Sin their distributor is either Navicomm Technology or Allbright or you can email to Garmin Taiwan direct

Thanks for the suggestion, I just called them a few minutes ago. Repair is possible, but at a "small" cost (admin cost $60 n repair cost $150).

Try my luck and ask if they are still have the IT promotion fair price, but it is over. So I guess I have to start looking for another GPS unit. Any recommendation?

Thanks all for the excellent help. I really appreciate it. :prayer:

One last thing, any one need a GPS paper weight? If not I will keep in the car and use it as ballistic weapon to throw at thugs if I do encounter any on my road trip. :axe:

Cheers
Chng

User avatar
SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 4924
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:54 pm
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra
Contact:

Re: My local SgMy Nuvi 255w cannot switch on!

#283 Post by SilverBeauty » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:21 am

h2chng wrote:["SilverBeauty"]

For 255W, you are correct in that map file gmapsupp.img is kept in /garmin directory of SD card.

Looks like yours is a case for Dr.Garmin. In Sin their distributor is either Navicomm Technology or Allbright or you can email to Garmin Taiwan direct


Thanks for the suggestion, I just called them a few minutes ago. Repair is possible, but at a "small" cost (admin cost $60 n repair cost $150).

Try my luck and ask if they are still have the IT promotion fair price, but it is over. So I guess I have to start looking for another GPS unit. Any recommendation?

Thanks all for the excellent help. I really appreciate it. :prayer:

One last thing, any one need a GPS paper weight? If not I will keep in the car and use it as ballistic weapon to throw at thugs if I do encounter any on my road trip. :axe:

Cheers
Chng

You have PM...

mphoon
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:45 pm
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 255WT
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#284 Post by mphoon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:14 pm

Dear Senior Bro Administrator

I owned a Nuvi 255WT but a US Version (with the default US-Canada map pre-loaded) as I had lived and worked in the US before coming back. So mine is a NON-Localized Nuvi 255WT (traffic receiver)

Now that I am settled back to Singapore - I just managed to discover this great website with lots of Info. I just narrowed my search as I was looking for a Singapore and Malaysia map.

Is the MSM 513 version the correct one for me to load into a SD Card for my US Nuvi 255WT?

Thanks !

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
Posts: 2075
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:44 pm
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30
Location: Penang, Malaysia
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#285 Post by jasonlee » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:28 pm

mphoon wrote:Dear Senior Bro Administrator

I owned a Nuvi 255WT but a US Version (with the default US-Canada map pre-loaded) as I had lived and worked in the US before coming back. So mine is a NON-Localized Nuvi 255WT (traffic receiver)

Now that I am settled back to Singapore - I just managed to discover this great website with lots of Info. I just narrowed my search as I was looking for a Singapore and Malaysia map.

Is the MSM 513 version the correct one for me to load into a SD Card for my US Nuvi 255WT?

Thanks !
:welcome: home Bro Mphoon,

Yes it is your best option.
Lean not on your own understanding

airbusdriver
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:39 pm
GPS: 255W
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#286 Post by airbusdriver » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:50 pm

hi gurus,

newbie here would like to ask this : currently having the 255W and running on MSM 2010.x on the unit memory and looking to upgrade to MSMv5.16. would putting the 5.16 on SD card have any effect as i now have 2 maps of SIN/KUL

thanks

User avatar
Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 2738
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:37 pm
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM
Location: Hougang, Sg
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#287 Post by Redstorm » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:12 am

airbusdriver wrote:hi gurus,

newbie here would like to ask this : currently having the 255W and running on MSM 2010.x on the unit memory and looking to upgrade to MSMv5.16. would putting the 5.16 on SD card have any effect as i now have 2 maps of SIN/KUL

thanks
Unless the MSM v5.16 shares the same file name as your other 2 maps, which is not the case here, then it will not have any effect on your others maps.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 574
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#288 Post by ace » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:57 am

Redstorm wrote:
airbusdriver wrote:hi gurus,

newbie here would like to ask this : currently having the 255W and running on MSM 2010.x on the unit memory and looking to upgrade to MSMv5.16. would putting the 5.16 on SD card have any effect as i now have 2 maps of SIN/KUL

thanks
Unless the MSM v5.16 shares the same file name as your other 2 maps, which is not the case here, then it will not have any effect on your others maps.
Just to add to Bro Redstorm's comment, I have the same Nuvi and also two other SIN/MAL maps in the main memory. I have the MSM v5.16 in the SD card.

And there is no problem.....the main thing is that I only select one of the map to use. If you use all three maps together, of course they will "argue" and "quarrel" with each other when all three come to a same location but have different idea ofof the next road to take. :mrgreen:

In other words, there should only be one "King" in the nuvi at all times. :lol:
I don't have free fish......

airbusdriver
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:39 pm
GPS: 255W
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#289 Post by airbusdriver » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:24 pm

:wave: ty

would i be able to use the postal code search fns

10Q again

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 574
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:00 am
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#290 Post by ace » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:35 pm

airbusdriver wrote::wave: ty

would i be able to use the postal code search fns

10Q again
Yes. Please see wsian's comment to another similar post..

http://www.malsingmaps.com/forums/viewt ... 14#p189514
I don't have free fish......

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests