The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

Re: my garmin show illegal turn

#301 Post by cruiser » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:35 pm

nagflar wrote:Hi all i am newbie to garmin . recently i update the map pack . after that i use my garmin alway show illegal turn . Please advise . thanks

:welcome: to the Forum and if you can, please update your Profile showing where U R located.

Is your unit set for the right-hand-drive? Otherwise its always responding assuming yours is a left-hand oriented vehicle.
Also, as Redstorm has urged you, provide the fundamental details so anyone can oblige to assist other than speculate for lack of the necessary information...

Nooo, there is no Big Brother going after you even if you are on the Moon..... but it helps to know just where you are at and "NOT" lost out there somewhere. :lol:
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

Zeus73
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550, Kenwood DNX4150BT

#302 Post by Zeus73 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:19 am

cruiser wrote:Is your unit set for the right-hand-drive? Otherwise its always responding assuming yours is a left-hand oriented vehicle.
Huh??? I don't think there's any setting for that.

I'm currently in US with my nuvi 3790 SG/MY. Just load in the North America map and I'm ready to go. :thumbsup:

cruiser
Elite
Elite
GPS: SGS Mp4 5.0, S2+S3, S4; TT GO 910+950; Nüvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T & 650.

#303 Post by cruiser » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:59 am

Zeus73 wrote:
cruiser wrote:Is your unit set for the right-hand-drive? Otherwise its always responding assuming yours is a left-hand oriented vehicle.
Huh??? I don't think there's any setting for that.

I'm currently in US with my nuvi 3790 SG/MY. Just load in the North America map and I'm ready to go. :thumbsup:

Yes there is, I get mine reminding me whenever I cross the pond into UK. Btw, remember about California. Its prohibited to hook up yr 3790 on the front windshield. If you have any to share, add pics to this thread brudder... :thumbsup:

Share yr pics HERE.
:tracking: Recent caption
I do not claim copyright on the images (when it's not mine) displayed. The image(s) are only added to accentuate &/or amuse my posts.

DarthRevan
GPS: Garmin 255W

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#304 Post by DarthRevan » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:10 am

my nüvi 255W coming close to 22mths old..been using it very consistently..say about once twice a week and charging only when battery low(or left 1 bar)..starting abt 1 mth ago..the battery charge is not holding..can only use abt 45mins(on a full-charge using computer USB port to charge)..anyone experienced the same situation or similar?

-is using PC USB to charge ok?
-how long do i charge?
-what can i do if the battery is really dying?

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#305 Post by SilverBeauty » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:43 am

DarthRevan wrote:my nüvi 255W coming close to 22mths old..been using it very consistently..say about once twice a week and charging only when battery low(or left 1 bar)..starting abt 1 mth ago..the battery charge is not holding..can only use abt 45mins(on a full-charge using computer USB port to charge)..anyone experienced the same situation or similar?

-how long do i charge?

Battery is near EOL ( End of Life ) thus cannot hold charge

If most of your usage is confined to use in car, then it should not be a problem as it is powered by car charger.

You can DIY change as sending it to Garmin may not be worth the cost.

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwAbKYOgiZg

baileyng
Senior Mapper
GPS: Nuvi 2575R, Nuvi 2465, Nuvi 255W, Waze.

#306 Post by baileyng » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:39 pm

DarthRevan wrote:my nüvi 255W coming close to 22mths old..been using it very consistently..say about once twice a week and charging only when battery low(or left 1 bar)..starting abt 1 mth ago..the battery charge is not holding..can only use abt 45mins(on a full-charge using computer USB port to charge)..anyone experienced the same situation or similar?

-how long do i charge?
Hmm, I faced the same thing with my 255W. What I did is I left the unit working (low battery) until it went flat, which can last for one hour plus from the low bat warning. Then by repeating it few times which charging from flat to full, now it's back to normal.

If that couldn't work, be prepared with Bro SilversBeauty's method.

Bailey Ng
MSM 2017 NT v7.78 (May 13, 2017)
CN SGMY NT2015.40-Malsing ALL (July 8, 2016)

moeyHC
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575, Papaga N1, iGo, 5800, M1200, M1000B/C

#307 Post by moeyHC » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:32 am

jimmy wrote:Br MoeyHC,

My friend's nuvi this morning having the same problem, the nuvi hangs at ...'Loading maps...' and USB connection to the GPS is not work. :cry:

Can u pls tell me how to solve this problem? :prayer:

Thanks in advance :tq:
Sorry to have missed your post and sad to know of your friend's problem.

Todate only one Nuvi was 'revive' after it got stuck at Loading Maps.... I couldn't recall all I have done but I was 'experimenting' by Powering it On and inserting the USB cable at various stages of booting up.... and it actually got pass the loop and went into Data mode. Deleting the map resolve the problem. I'm not willing try it again :mrgreen: hence I do not have the procedure written.

Good luck.

P/S: Please document your work and share it if it works for you... thank you.
MSM Glossary/Index - viewtopic.php?p=57986#p57986

DarthRevan
GPS: Garmin 255W

#308 Post by DarthRevan » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:43 pm

baileyng wrote: Hmm, I faced the same thing with my 255W. What I did is I left the unit working (low battery) until it went flat, which can last for one hour plus from the low bat warning. Then by repeating it few times which charging from flat to full, now it's back to normal.

If that couldn't work, be prepared with Bro SilversBeauty's method.
Bailey Ng
hi bro baileyng..charging to full takes how long?
SilverBeauty wrote: Battery is near EOL ( End of Life ) thus cannot hold charge

If most of your usage is confined to use in car, then it should not be a problem as it is powered by car charger.

You can DIY change as sending it to Garmin may not be worth the cost.

Link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwAbKYOgiZg
I guess that may be the best option for me..thank you, bro SilverBeauty! :cheers:

ace
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)

#309 Post by ace » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:04 pm

You should used the wall socket charger and leave it on overnight....best if you completely drain the juice off before charging.

Might need a couple of cycles.

If this process doesn't revives the battery, than you can go ahead and change to a new battery..
I don't have free fish......

tankk
GPS: GRAMIN 255W

can we factory reset the nuvi 255W

#310 Post by tankk » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:07 pm

can anyone teach how to factory reset the nuvi 255w.

my friend borrow my unit and add maps onto it,
now become "can't unlock maps" when start and hang always.

please help.