Malsingmaps Forum

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:25 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:46 am 

GPS: Garmin 1350
ace wrote:
My comment is make by looking at the Singapore Map generally since I do not have Mapsource on my office PC.. ](*,)

From Chinatown to Farrer Park Road, using CTE, you probably have to exit at Moulmein and come in via Rangoon Road. That is not efficient compare to what the GPS recommended which is probably to take you straight down to Hill Road, Stamford Road, Selegie Road, Serangoon Road, Birch Road, Gloucester Road to Farrer Park Road. A distance of probably 4km compare to travelling via CTE which could be longer due to the curving tunnels.

Since the saving in time is probably minimal due to the short travelling distance, the GPSr most likely just take the shorter routing. I may be wrong. :mrgreen:

Anyway, this example is also good to showcase why the GPSr is just a tool. A visitor to town will probably just follow the routing. A local, however, is not expected to blindly follow the routing but to utilise his local knowledge to at times overwrite the technology's decision, after factoring in known traffic conditions in the calculated route. :lol: :mrgreen:

The question here is i'm choosen faster time option not shorter route option, thats why a bit contradition btw the faster time and shorter route option.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:33 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
kondo wrote:
The question here is i'm choosen faster time option not shorter route option, thats why a bit contradition btw the faster time and shorter route option.

That is correct.... The routing given by the GPSr in your case could be that the calculated route is faster. You can test it out yourself.

Based on whatever data the map has, the calculated route will take about 8 mins. If you use Mapsource to plan a route via CTE for your prefer routing, check what is the time taken to arrive. That will clear your doubt, I hope. [-o< :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:12 pm 

ace wrote:
kondo wrote:

That is correct.... The routing given by the GPSr in your case could be that the calculated route is faster. You can test it out yourself.

Based on whatever data the map has, the calculated route will take about 8 mins. If you use Mapsource to plan a route via CTE for your prefer routing, check what is the time taken to arrive. That will clear your doubt, I hope. [-o< :mrgreen:

So the gps calculated route is flaw the actual fact fr CT to FPR faster in time is via CTE not via Hill Road, Stamford Road, Selegie Road, Serangoon Road, Birch Road, Gloucester Road to Farrer Park Road. And in this situation there will be no different in choosing faster time and short route option in the system.

Another encounter is i lost in somewhere in malacca, the route option was set at faster time and i wish my gps will lead me the way to E2 but it keep direct me to the old road direction (fr JB to KL road), i found it strange... ](*,), why dont garmin allow user to decide their own route during navigating.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:24 pm 
Senior Mapper

GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30
kondo wrote:

So the gps calculated route is flaw the actual fact fr CT to FPR faster in time is via CTE not via Hill Road, Stamford Road, Selegie Road, Serangoon Road, Birch Road, Gloucester Road to Farrer Park Road. And in this situation there will be no different in choosing faster time and short route option in the system.

Another encounter is i lost in somewhere in malacca, the route option was set at faster time and i wish my gps will lead me the way to E2 but it keep direct me to the old road direction (fr JB to KL road), i found it strange... ](*,), why dont garmin allow user to decide their own route during navigating.
The GPS allows you to help it determine the route if you know from experience which is better. If you know that it is a better route via the E2, then choose a POI along the E2 and select that as the VIA POINT (or in the new Nuvis the option is to ADD THAT TO THE CURRENT ROUTE) and you will be routed via that point.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:29 pm 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

GPS: Nuvi 2565, Nuvi 255W, HP iPaq 3715 with Rikaline 6033 (retired), Mapking G10 (retired)
kondo wrote:

There are usually a reason why the GPSr calculated the route as it is......

For your current case, like I say earlier, replicate the route in mapsource the two routes to see which of the two routes is faster in timing. Again make sure the preference is set correctly. It could be that you are right and I am wrong. :-k :-$

Secondly, Garmin does allow user to decide their own route, or custom route, in some of their models, usually the higher end models. Or newer Nuvi models as Bro Jasonlee mentioned above. I've used it in my 2565. It works great. :) The newer Nuvi also remembers the routes that you travel frequently...it will suggest it for you and you just press "Go". :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:45 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
kondo wrote:

This is Garmin's definition of Route Preference in their manual.

Faster Time—to calculate routes that are faster to drive but can be longer in distance.

Shorter Distance—to calculate routes that are shorter in distance but can take more time to drive.

Off Road—to calculate point-to-point routes (without roads).

Fastest Route takes into consideration many variables in the map used ie... major / minor road classification where the road speed limit are much higher than Connector or Feeder roads, number of junctions, avoidance selected, TMC ( Traffic Option that reports traffic conditions ) etc... and the software algorithm.

Shorter distance is the most shortest path from Start to End without taking into consideration for road classification & traffic intersections. Shortest route might be shorter, but not always the fastest, because it will take you through neighborhoods or back roads , school zones etc....

A GPS is not "God". It's purpose is to suggest / guide the inexperience in a strange land ... In other words, the GPS unit's guess will at times be "off" compared to how a human with local knowledge will route.

It is up to user to accept or reject the suggestion. When you reject the suggestion, it will as your drive, automatically recalculate a new route based on your current location.

Without getting too technical, the GPS software algorithm will consider X number of different routes. It will not attempt to evaluate every single possible route between two points, but will try to make a "guess" as to which routes are most best fit for time or distance.

If you want to get technical, do "Google" and research the "A* search" or "Dijkstra's" algorithm to understand how a GPS derives its routing :ko: :-'

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:30 pm 

SilverBeauty wrote:

Faster Time—to calculate routes that are faster to drive but can be longer in distance.

Most people thought faster time will lead you to highway (this is what i want) but garmin dont.. confusing ](*,)

Shorter Distance—to calculate routes that are shorter in distance but can take more time to drive.

shorter distance will lead to local road (small road) this is Ok

Me dont know what's that :ko:

Fastest Route takes into consideration many variables in the map used ie... major / minor road classification where the road speed limit are much higher than Connector or Feeder roads, number of junctions, avoidance selected, TMC ( Traffic Option that reports traffic conditions ) etc... and the software algorithm.

Why must be so confuse? do garmin aware what a driver need, simply when we travel fr point A to point B we normally opt for either highway or local road. Traffic condition is unpredicable why not juz direct the driver to nearby highway

Shorter distance is the most shortest path from Start to End without taking into consideration for road classification & traffic intersections. Shortest route might be shorter, but not always the fastest, because it will take you through neighborhoods or back roads , school zones etc....

this one no comment travel via mostly local road

A GPS is not "God". It's purpose is to suggest / guide the inexperience in a strange land ... In other words, the GPS unit's guess will at times be "off" compared to how a human with local knowledge will route.

when i reach home tonite will ask GPS for 4D number for the coming draw :peace:

It is up to user to accept or reject the suggestion. When you reject the suggestion, it will as your drive, automatically recalculate a new route based on your current location.

why there is a need to reject GPS suggestion if the suggestion are positive and helpful... :)

Without getting too technical, the GPS software algorithm will consider X number of different routes. It will not attempt to evaluate every single possible route between two points, but will try to make a "guess" as to which routes are most best fit for time or distance.

If you want to get technical, do "Google" and research the "A* search" or "Dijkstra's" algorithm to understand how a GPS derives its routing :ko: :-'

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:37 pm 
Senior Mapper

GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30
kondo wrote:
why there is a need to reject GPS suggestion if the suggestion are positive and helpful... :)

Dear Bro Kondo,

What you want is a GPS with AI (Artificial Intelligence) but that technology is not yet available. So the current GPS units that we have are dumb and cannot think (just like computers) and it is the user who must supply the brains for the time being.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:26 pm 
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator

GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Panasonic ICE+Garmin
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad3
kondo wrote:
SilverBeauty wrote:

Most people thought faster time will lead you to highway (this is what i want) but garmin dont.. confusing ](*,)
Depending on your routing from A to B, using highway does not always translate to faster time

Time to upgrade your knowledge on how to use your tool :-'

Why must be so confuse? do garmin aware what a driver need, simply when we travel fr point A to point B we normally opt for either highway or local road. Traffic condition is unpredicable why not juz direct the driver to nearby highway
Looks like you have an incompatibility with technology. The world is not so simple to adopt your solution.

Better spend time to upgrade your knowledge of what current technology can do to help you :-'

Two main reasons why you sometimes choose to ignore the gps

The GPS unit's guess can at times be "off" compared to how a human with local knowledge will route.

Blindly following a route suggested by a GPS is failing to utilize the best tool you have, your brain. :-'

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:47 pm 

kondo wrote:
SilverBeauty wrote:

Depending on your routing from A to B, using highway does not always translate to faster time
For instance, fr malacca back to JB custom and faster time option was choosen and you wish the gps will direct you to E2 (most people knew it is the faster route to JB custom) but gps dont and complicated you using other route back to JB custom. Hence what's the point to choose faster route

Time to upgrade your knowledge on how to use your tool :-'
To me is simple when driving in oversea i either i travel via highway or a local road to my designation. Upgrade knowledge is out of the context.... :lol:

Looks like you have an incompatibility with technology. The world is not so simple to adopt your solution.

i once driving in japan and i'm nobody to the road over there, fortunately i travel fr point A to point B successfully during all my trip with the guidance and help by their gps. Jap gps are awesome and trustful despite they using a jap languages map but the inputs can choose btw jap and english, a lot good things on jap gps as least jap gps wont complicate btw highway and local road and let you guess big lol

Better spend time to upgrade your knowledge of what current technology can do to help you :-'
If root of the problem not solve and can't even diffrerential faster time fr malacca to JB is travel via E2. So what tecnology you are talking, properly cover flaw siboh... :nehneh:

Two main reasons why you sometimes choose to ignore the gps

The GPS unit's guess can at times be "off" compared to how a human with local knowledge will route.

i ignore becoz the gps is contraditing in route option and tried to complicate my route back to SG

Blindly following a route suggested by a GPS is failing to utilize the best tool you have, your brain. :-'

bro when you were in oversea (not malaysia) self drive you only can depend on gps and a hard copy map, my question here again a gps cant even differential which is faster route and what is highway and you will have miseaseble trip in oversea... :cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 353 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next