The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

Message
Author
User avatar
Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 2738
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:37 pm
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM
Location: Hougang, Sg
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#341 Post by Redstorm » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:41 am

RB20DET wrote:Anyone have US NT maps? My 255w (US) show can't unlock maps error message ...

I guess my original maps corrupted ... someone can share the file for me, thanks.
Garmin maps cannot be used on another device just by copying over. It is protected by an unlocked code which is tied to the device's ID or, if it is in the SD, to the card's ID. Even if you managed to copy over to your device, it will display the "cannot unlock map" message.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

User avatar
SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 4925
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:54 pm
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#342 Post by SilverBeauty » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:28 pm

Redstorm wrote:
RB20DET wrote:Anyone have US NT maps? My 255w (US) show can't unlock maps error message ...

I guess my original maps corrupted ... someone can share the file for me, thanks.
Garmin maps cannot be used on another device just by copying over. It is protected by an unlocked code which is tied to the device's ID or, if it is in the SD, to the card's ID. Even if you managed to copy over to your device, it will display the "cannot unlock map" message.

If map is on SD card meaning it was bought preloaded in SD card by Garmin then whole SD card is transferable to another device but not the contents inside the SD card.

User avatar
Superman7
Regular
Regular
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:36 pm
GPS: nüvi® 3790
eTrex Vista® HCx
nüvi® 200
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#343 Post by Superman7 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:28 pm

Any idea what is wrong?
Trying to update map (malfree_201240_3560)
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (9.78 KiB) Viewed 2811 times

User avatar
alharis288
Qualified Mapper
Posts: 1970
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 12:18 am
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 2465
Location: Alor Setar
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#344 Post by alharis288 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:56 pm

Superman7 wrote:Any idea what is wrong?
Trying to update map (malfree_201240_3560)
Capture.PNG
Hi Superman7

You're in the wrong forum...


:rokz:

baileyng
Senior Mapper
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:06 pm
GPS: Nuvi 2575R, Nuvi 2465, Nuvi 255W, Waze.
Location: Kota Damansara, PJ.
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#345 Post by baileyng » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:30 am

alharis288 wrote:
Superman7 wrote:Any idea what is wrong?
Trying to update map (malfree_201240_3560)
Capture.PNG
Hi Superman7

You're in the wrong forum...


:rokz:
Hai, Superman pun boleh salah forum, kalau kita ni orang biasa, lagi teruklah! Oops, just joking! :rofl:
MSM 2017 NT v7.78 (May 13, 2017)
CN SGMY NT2015.40-Malsing ALL (July 8, 2016)

RB20DET
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:28 am
GPS: 255W
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#346 Post by RB20DET » Thu May 16, 2013 9:46 pm

SilverBeauty wrote:
If map is on SD card meaning it was bought preloaded in SD card by Garmin then whole SD card is transferable to another device but not the contents inside the SD card.
That mean even I load in other 255w map also useless ? :thumbsdown:

User avatar
SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 4925
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:54 pm
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#347 Post by SilverBeauty » Fri May 17, 2013 10:24 am

RB20DET wrote:
SilverBeauty wrote:
If map is on SD card meaning it was bought preloaded in SD card by Garmin then whole SD card is transferable to another device but not the contents inside the SD card.
That mean even I load in other 255w map also useless ? :thumbsdown:
If the map is not lock, it is transferable.

All commercial maps are locked to device ID or SD card ID due to copyright laws

darky8888
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:15 pm
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 255W
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#348 Post by darky8888 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi,

I am a nuvi 255W user and would like to know if 255W supports GTM 35 FM traffic receiver?
If yes, how do i go abt updating the maps and can i purchase one of those "China" made GTM 35 cables?

Please advise if anyone have done this before. Thanks.

User avatar
Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
Posts: 2738
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:37 pm
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM
Location: Hougang, Sg
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#349 Post by Redstorm » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:16 pm

darky8888 wrote:Hi,

I am a nuvi 255W user and would like to know if 255W supports GTM 35 FM traffic receiver?
If yes, how do i go abt updating the maps and can i purchase one of those "China" made GTM 35 cables?

Please advise if anyone have done this before. Thanks.
AFAIK, the 255W does not support this feature. There are only a few models, usually the higher end ones, that is able to support the traffic receiver. The 3560 is one of them.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

darrenooi76
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:43 pm
GPS: Nuvi 255W
Contact:

Re: The Nuvi 255W - Part 3

#350 Post by darrenooi76 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:49 pm

Hi all,

I'm bought the Garmin GPS 255W and have installed the mal sing maps few years ago. All along use without any problem.
I try to update the malsing maps, but the system doesn't allow.
Can anyone advice how to update the maps?

Thanks.
Regards,
Darren

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests