The Nuvi 205 - Part 3

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

jasonlee
Senior Mapper
GPS: Magellan Meridian Color
Garmin Nuvi 200, 260, 1460, 2465, 2576R, 3560 & Etrex 30

Re: The Nuvi 205 - Part 3

#41 Post by jasonlee » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:06 pm

jasonhehe wrote:apologies for reviving old post.

i have tried both device id = 3584xxxxxx and serial number = 1C154xxxx on the site, both does not work, showing
'Your Serial Number is incorrect.'

I agree with jasonlee - even today (26sept2013) this site - http://www.garmin.com.sg/mapupdate/
still shows nuvi 205 maps are available for download (Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT2013.20)

if not allowed, why even put up that page? really wonder what is going on. if the gps is only going to have inbuilt map updated only 1 year, it should be clearly described. much as i love using a real gps - if updates limit to 1 year, i really dont see a point using garmin gps - just switch to google maps on phone..

Why your unit ID number is not recognized by Garmin server, you have to take up with Garmin Taiwan support
Link : http://www.garmin.com.sg/support/

also thanks to tbh for link to other map - works great for now, but would be good to grab official map above. on the other hand.. if official map is actually available, perhaps people wouldnt have needed the link tbh has shown me...

Link for map that bro tbh provided is for a MsM compiled map using compiler supplied by Garmin. This is updated more frequently vs Garmin commercial and Garmin "compiled" using MsM supplied data on quarterly basis

hope someone can help with questions following the above -
1. is the map on http://www.garmin.com.sg/mapupdate/ different from tbh's link? (viewtopic.php?f=26&t=24436&start=30)

Maps available via Garmin Website consists of three different map sources, namely Garmin NT Commercial Map, Garmin-MsM collaboration map and Garmin-MfM collaboration map. The first map is a commercial map and user entitled only to one update while the other two map only needs your unit ID to obtain unlock code. It is free for life of your unit.

2. i thought i read somewhere that MSM creates the map for http://www.garmin.com.sg/? or did i read wrongly?

It is a collaboration between Garmin and MsM. Garmin compiles the map based on map data supplied by MsM.

best regards,
jason
There are more than 3 maps available so I hope to shed some light into the confusion.

First of all there are 2 communities producing maps for free download. Both communities basically produce a weekly map that have some differences. I shall talk about the differences later.

The 2 communities are MSM and MFM.

Garmin gets the data from these maps produced and compiles them with their own compiler and call them MSM NT and MFM NT. Both are produced at best on a quarterly basis hence they will for sure be more out-dated than their source maps from MSM or MFM. These are the out-dated maps you get in your GPS as preloaded maps. Garmin in addition, employs a commercial mapper to produce also on a quarterly basis a map called CN (City Navigator) NT maps and pre-loads it into the GPS sold locally.

If you do not need the latest updates,then the preloaded maps may be good enough for you.

However, if you want the latest updates then the link Bro TBH gave you leads you to MSM's weekly updated map and you can get from the MFM website, the link to their latest free map. However, as I said there are differences. If you own a Garmin GPS, then MSM's weekly map will enable you to maximise on the features available in a Garmin GPS because it is compiled with a Garmin compiler.

The MFM map will work with a Garmin GPS but being compiled with a third-party compiler, it lacks some features available in a Garmin GPS.

The choice is yours.
Lean not on your own understanding

eddy_duyung
GPS: Nokia 5800 Express Musix

#42 Post by eddy_duyung » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:53 am

Dear all,i'ved found the link to the CN 2013.30 from garmin.sg

http://download.garmin.com/sg/download/ ... 816044.exe

is this what everybody discussing?

can download,cant unlock it...hu hu...very frusted.
We Need Maps..So We Gave the Track...Tracking using Nokia 5800XM

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

#43 Post by Redstorm » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:27 am

eddy_duyung wrote:Dear all,i'ved found the link to the CN 2013.30 from garmin.sg

http://download.garmin.com/sg/download/ ... 816044.exe

is this what everybody discussing?

can download,cant unlock it...hu hu...very frusted.
You can't unlock it because your 205 is not entitled to a lifetime map update. Only newer models that come with the "LM" suffix are entitled to install them whenever there is any new map update.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

eddy_duyung
GPS: Nokia 5800 Express Musix

#44 Post by eddy_duyung » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:04 pm

OK TQVM Bro Redstorm...now i know why cant unlock it...just hope someday Garmin will give it as a free gift to 205 user for supporting them for very long time. he he...( my dream )
We Need Maps..So We Gave the Track...Tracking using Nokia 5800XM

maximme
GPS: Garmin 205W

#45 Post by maximme » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:43 pm

How do i save 205W favourites to an SD card or something ?
I have collected a number of useful favourites and wish to make sure they
are saved somewhere.

thanks

SilverBeauty
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Garmin Nüvi 1350, 3790T
Fenix
eTrex HcX
Pioneer AVH-P8450BT
Samsung Note3
Apple iPad2

#46 Post by SilverBeauty » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:50 pm

maximme wrote:How do i save 205W favourites to an SD card or something ?
I have collected a number of useful favourites and wish to make sure they
are saved somewhere.

thanks

Bsckup the file located in Main Memory - Garmin - GPX - current.gpx
This contains POIs in your Favourites.

Or you can use Mapsource. Install it in your PC/Lappy and hook up your Nuvi and backup in PC/Lappy
http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.p ... =MapSource

maximme
GPS: Garmin 205W

#47 Post by maximme » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:28 pm

thanks
I realised my mistake of using the wrong usb cable.
Didn't know some cable is only for charging and can't
transfer data.

once i got the correct cable, the device showed up.

thanks