The Nuvi 300

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

tbs10
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 300

Problem encounter for garmin nuvi 300

#1 Post by tbs10 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:22 pm

Hi,

just bought a garmin nuvi 300 with garmin maps of singapore and malaysia in a sd from Perfect Watch at sim lim square, but whenever i switch on the set it keeps saying unable to unlock maps, any idea on this

arcturus
GPS: Nuvi 660

Re: Problem encounter for garmin nuvi 300

#2 Post by arcturus » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:36 am

tbs10 wrote:Hi,

just bought a garmin nuvi 300 with garmin maps of singapore and malaysia in a sd from Perfect Watch at sim lim square, but whenever i switch on the set it keeps saying unable to unlock maps, any idea on this
Is your map original Garmin Singapore and Malaysia maps or MalSing maps?

I suspect the shop could have given you the lastest version of MalSing maps, GM-Mysin Mapsource Installer (Locked) Aug 1, 2007, which need a unlock code in order to use the map.

That is what you will see if one used the latest MalSing maps without the unlock code.

You can try to download the open maps, GM-Mysin Mapsource Installer (Open) June 21, 2007, into your SD card and it should work for you. Make sure you backup your current SD card maps to your PC or somewhere else first.

Here is the link to your open maps download,
http://www.malsingmaps.com/portal/downloads.php

Here is the link for your information regarding Map unlocking Q & A
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=30

Hope the above information will offer some help. :)

tbs10

#3 Post by tbs10 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:58 am

Hi bro, thanx for the reply, my map claim by them is original garmin, with the barcode and casing, tried download the june version map here on my another sd card, able to use, so maybe its them who gave me a fautly map, will go down to change tomorrow.

But tired now doing night shift, tomorrow also night shift which means no need to sleep liaoz

scoobygl
Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi 300, Etax Legend.

#4 Post by scoobygl » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:36 pm

if it is original set from garmin. you can try to email garmin with the map ID and ask for a unlock code. if it is a first time and not a second hand map. they should be able to give you the unlock code.

scoobygl
Regular
Regular
GPS: Nuvi 300, Etax Legend.

#5 Post by scoobygl » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:38 pm

Also, just asking,. I sent my Nuvi 300 for repair. itchy hand, shorted my unit. when the unit come back. It shown a firmware of 4.7, but website in garmin state 4.6. don't seem to be any different from the old 4.6 i'm using.

AxeLa
Veteran
Veteran
GPS: Omnia HD + GMXT with 10x / Agis NavFone /Nuvi 765 /nRoute with 10X / Di~GPS on D700!

#6 Post by AxeLa » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:39 pm

tbs10 wrote:Hi,

Next time test 1st before buying.... :lol:
Omnia HD with GMXT & Garmin 10X / Agis NavFone /
Nuvi 765

arcturus

#7 Post by arcturus » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:30 am

tbs10 wrote:Hi bro, thanx for the reply, my map claim by them is original garmin, with the barcode and casing, tried download the june version map here on my another sd card, able to use, so maybe its them who gave me a fautly map, will go down to change tomorrow.

But tired now doing night shift, tomorrow also night shift which means no need to sleep liaoz

:welcome:

Please share with us later what was the cause and how was it solved. O:)

arcturus

#8 Post by arcturus » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:37 am

scoobygl wrote:Also, just asking,. I sent my Nuvi 300 for repair. itchy hand, shorted my unit. when the unit come back. It shown a firmware of 4.7, but website in garmin state 4.6. don't seem to be any different from the old 4.6 i'm using.
Glad to hear that your unit is OK.

What did you do to shorted your unit?
You opened up the unit or is the unit so sensitive? :-?

tbs10

#9 Post by tbs10 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:54 am

funny part is test on their set no problem, but test on my set got problem, they recopy the map and the unlock code they have to the card again and it works.... quite funny, by the way how do i edit my original garmin maps?

Kind of regret getting the original garmin maps, a lot of place in singapore they did not show for us to search, like my office is at singapore press holdings at toa payoh can't even find it man....the only good thing is that the map showin the block number of each street etc.

Thinking of editing it and saving some places like hawker centre etc and categorise under the food tab etc, any bros can teach me??

duckstormz
GPS: Nuvi 300

Latest map cannnot locate spelled locations? [Nuvi 300/310]

#10 Post by duckstormz » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:05 am

Downloaded the latest August locked all in one map and tried typing in "sunshine" in spell hoping to see all the sunshine square, sunshine farlim and etc appear but it found no matches in penang. It only found matches in Port Dickson. Tried the all in one unlocked june version and repeated the same search and it managed to display a list of matches with "sunshine" in it. Nothing else was changed except for the locked and unlocked maps. Anyone knows why?