The Nuvi 3790

Discussions on Garmin Streetpilot, Nuvi, Zumo, Quest & other series.

Moderator: Moderators

DavidWee
GPS: Garmin Nuvi 710

The Nuvi 3790

#1 Post by DavidWee » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:25 am

Hi All,

Need advice from experts here.

1) If I get the Garmin nüvi 3790T from US, can I add the MalSing and/or official map from Garmin Singapore which allow both US and MalSing Map to coexist? I.e. without losing the original US map. Can I follow the same procedures of Map updates as what is instructed here in MalSingMaps.com?

2) When I connect the Garmin nüvi 3790T unit to the PC/Mac, can I just backup all the content of the unit and if anything goes wrong with the updates, can I restore back to its original state?

Do hope to hear all the professional advice here in this forum soon.

Thank you.

Regards,
David

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

Re: Garmin nüvi 3790T (US Unit) works with MalSing Official

#2 Post by Redstorm » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:40 am

DavidWee wrote:Hi All,

Need advice from experts here.

1) If I get the Garmin nüvi 3790T from US, can I add the MalSing and/or official map from Garmin Singapore which allow both US and MalSing Map to coexist? I.e. without losing the original US map. Can I follow the same procedures of Map updates as what is instructed here in MalSingMaps.com?

2) When I connect the Garmin nüvi 3790T unit to the PC/Mac, can I just backup all the content of the unit and if anything goes wrong with the updates, can I restore back to its original state?

Do hope to hear all the professional advice here in this forum soon.

Thank you.

Regards,

David
Regardless of where you bought your Nuvi from, it can install the Malsing maps and/or official Garmin map of Sg/My in either the internal memory or the microSD card. The Nuvi 3xxx series is pretty new and has not even arrived at our shore and I dun know where exactly you need to store the map within the internal memory. Yes, backing up all the contents of the unit is the correct thing to do in case somethings goes wrong.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

DavidWee

#3 Post by DavidWee » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:14 am

Hi Redstorm,

Thank you for your advice. For the backup solution, do I just copy the entire content of the unit or only certain files? I notice from the previous Garmin units, some files are protected from the main unit (not from the microSD) and I'm unable to copy those. Will those files failure to be backup will be an issue?

Thanks.

Regards,
David

Redstorm
MSM Global Moderator
MSM Global Moderator
GPS: Montana 650, Nuvi 2465, 3790 & 3560LM

#4 Post by Redstorm » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:22 am

DavidWee wrote:Hi Redstorm,

Thank you for your advice. For the backup solution, do I just copy the entire content of the unit or only certain files? I notice from the previous Garmin units, some files are protected from the main unit (not from the microSD) and I'm unable to copy those. Will those files failure to be backup will be an issue?

Thanks.

Regards,
David
I have never had problem of certain files being protected. Just copy all the files to play safe. Thanks.
Olight M20 R2
Jetbeam RRT 1, RRT 2
Fenix TK10, TK11 R2, TK12 R5, PD30, L1D, L2D, LD01, P2D
Romisen RC-W4, RC-N3
Ultrafire WF-606A, C3, A20, A10
MTE C3, C2-1
Surefire 6P

bartmp8
Senior Mapper
GPS: GPSV(r),10X+PDA(r),Nuvi200(r),VistaHCx, 60CSx, Nuvi765(r),Oregon550 & Nuvi3790 (from Redstorm)

#5 Post by bartmp8 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:05 pm

Do you mean some files are hidden (when viewed in PC)?

lost4ever
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
GPS: Nuvi 370 & 765

Garmin 3790 & Navicom

#6 Post by lost4ever » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:19 pm

Just wanted to share this with everyone - my correspondence with our official Garmin distributor in Singapore.
Dear XXX,

Thank you for your enquiry.
Currently we do not have any information on this model.
We will keep you posted if there are any further notice.

Best regards,
NaviCom Sales.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 14 July, 2010 10:46 PM
To: sales@navicomtechnology.com
Subject: 3790T

Hi, are you bringing in the new 3790T model now being sold in the US? If so, when. If you guys are not going to bring it in soon, I'll get mine from Amazon.

Hope to hear some good news from you.
Citius Altius Fortius

DavidWee

Re: The Nuvi 3790T

#7 Post by DavidWee » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:20 pm

Ok, I finally got the Nuvi 3790T. It seriously look like iphone and the nicest looking GPS unit that I have owned. Updating the unit with MalSingMap leaving the US map intact. Will see how it goes.

DavidWee

#8 Post by DavidWee » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:29 pm

Just a feedback.

The unit works well, however, the LA & JV doesn't work for Garmin Official Mal/Sing Map and also the Traffic Alert in Singapore, though the unit comes with GTM25. Might be because I'm using a Garmin US unit and not European version. Officially, I believe Garmin Singapore GMT21 unit works but haven't seen how it works yet. So far to my experience, the unit works quite fast as compared to Nuvi 1460 which is now brick after the latest update via Garmin. Don't know what is wrong with it and I wasn't the only person having the same problem (http://www.justanswer.com/questions/365 ... ot-restart).

Anyone knows how to get the LA & JV working with a Garmin US model? Or it just simply doesn't work? Should I stick with MSM map instead?

Thanks.

Regards,
David Wee

Zeus73
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
GPS: Garmin nüvi® 765, Garmin nüvi® 3790T, Garmin Oregon® 550, Kenwood DNX4150BT

#9 Post by Zeus73 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:41 pm

DavidWee wrote:Just a feedback.

The unit works well, however, the LA & JV doesn't work for Garmin Official Mal/Sing Map and also the Traffic Alert in Singapore, though the unit comes with GTM25. Might be because I'm using a Garmin US unit and not European version. Officially, I believe Garmin Singapore GMT21 unit works but haven't seen how it works yet. So far to my experience, the unit works quite fast as compared to Nuvi 1460 which is now brick after the latest update via Garmin. Don't know what is wrong with it and I wasn't the only person having the same problem (http://www.justanswer.com/questions/365 ... ot-restart).

Anyone knows how to get the LA & JV working with a Garmin US model? Or it just simply doesn't work? Should I stick with MSM map instead?

Thanks.

Regards,
David Wee
We are having Encrypted-JCV in SG/MY/BN. US set can only display JCV.

Encrypted-JCV and JCV are 2 different thing. Get the picture? :-k

DavidWee

#10 Post by DavidWee » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:50 am

Zeus73 wrote: We are having Encrypted-JCV in SG/MY/BN. US set can only display JCV.

Encrypted-JCV and JCV are 2 different thing. Get the picture? :-k
Of course some JCV are locked for certain Garmin units. All I'm asking is are there any unlocked version of JCV that works with Garming US units. Anyway, guess the Garmin US version does work and besides, I just wanted to get the original 2010 US map instead of installing in.